Chapter 23 completed

  • Brian64
    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 5, 2012
      Hi all,

      According to fanfiction.net, Thoughts of Pudding was last updated on the 21st of November 2008. It doesn't seem like 3 and a bit years to me, but obviously it is.

      Chapter 23 could have been completed at around 5,700 words, but I wanted to include what would have been the next chapter as well to make it worth the wait. Or at least, more worth it.

      I've taken some time to note down in a 'spoilers' file many of the plot points that I've been thinking about including.. sadly, for you lot I have no plans on sharing that with anyone but any betas I'm working with.

      I've also got a 'summary' document I'm going to make a point of updating regularly, as that will also help ensure I don't overlook anything. I'm not sure how the story looks from your end, but from mine it feels like I'm trying to juggle over two dozen balls at once, and I'm trying to ensure they all stay in the air.

      Chapter 23 has eventually come out at around 11,300 words, and it's currently off with my beta. Since she's been editing as I've been going along, at least two thirds of it should be mostly fine.

      I'll post both the Word and HTML copies in the appropriate folders once they've come back from Alix33, so you're welcome to wait for those if you like.

      On the other hand, this group was set up so that the members could get early access to chapters and comment and discuss the story. Now that the story's back on and I'm writing again, I'd like to see more of that happening if possible - it helps to keep the creative juices flowing.

      I hope everyone enjoys the new chapter. I really enjoyed getting back into the story.

      Cheers,

      Brian
    • red jacobson
      Message 2 of 4 , Feb 5, 2012
        Okay, just finished reading the new chapter, and my initial reaction is "HOLY FUCK!" to the cliffhanger.   Before we got to that point, though, I greatly enjoyed the chapter, especially Emma taking the mother role with Luna, and I appreciated the fact that Albus, while Manipulative, had a reasonable explanation for the Secret Keeper confusion.   I'm also curious about what was in Amelia's letter to Kingsley and his response.

        One question has been bugging me for a while, and I apologize if it's already been answered.  But, Luna's knowledge of movies and song lyrics seems to be rather extensive for a pureblood witch.  Where did she gain this knowledge?  I can't see her hanging out in a muggle village or popping off to the cinema every Saturday afternoon, especially since Dune, if memory serves, came out when she was maybe 2 or 3 years old, and I doubt Xeno has a VCR in the Rookery.

        It's not a major issue, but again, just something that has been bugging me for a while.

        But, on another note, I'm thrilled that you are writing again, and I really hope you don't make us wait too much longer to resolve the cliffhangers from this chapter.

        red

      • Brian64
        Message 3 of 4 , Feb 5, 2012
          Hey Red,

          Thanks for the feedback.

          I doubt I'm giving much away when I say that throughout my story, one of my objectives has been to make good use of point of view and perspective. In most fics I've read, we rarely get to see the other side of the coin. Well, that's one of the things I like to shake around a bit. JKR did a good job with creating characters like Dumbledore and Snape, and blurring the lines between what is good or evil - I'm just trying to do the same and take it a little further.

          If I can pull it off (note to self: remember that phrase for Tonks to use), then I'll be trying to work it so that there isn't any agreement on what's good and bad.

          On to Luna.. Yep, in my world she actually did spend a lot of her time in Ottery St Catchpole at the local movie theatre watching different movies every week. The old projectionist used to let her in because he felt sorry for her losing her mum.

          The thing about some old movie theatres is that they don't just show latest releases all day. The one I used to go to as a kid most Saturdays (the Chelsea) had a different matinee movie on Saturdays that I and my siblings used to go to quite regularly.

          Anyway, as for resolving the plot points,I do have the rest of Friday night and Saturday's activities plotted out, and I'm hoping to make a start on Chapter 24 when I get home from work tomorrow night.

          Cheers,

          Brian

          --- In Thoughts_of_Pudding@yahoogroups.com, red jacobson <red.jacobson@...> wrote:

          > Okay, just finished reading the new chapter, and my initial reaction is
          > "HOLY FUCK!" to the cliffhanger. Before we got to that point, though, I
          > greatly enjoyed the chapter, especially Emma taking the mother role with
          > Luna, and I appreciated the fact that Albus, while Manipulative, had a
          > reasonable explanation for the Secret Keeper confusion. I'm also curious
          > about what was in Amelia's letter to Kingsley and his response.
          >
          > One question has been bugging me for a while, and I apologize if it's
          > already been answered. But, Luna's knowledge of movies and song lyrics
          > seems to be rather extensive for a pureblood witch. Where did she gain
          > this knowledge? I can't see her hanging out in a muggle village or popping
          > off to the cinema every Saturday afternoon, especially since Dune, if
          > memory serves, came out when she was maybe 2 or 3 years old, and I doubt
          > Xeno has a VCR in the Rookery.
          >
          > It's not a major issue, but again, just something that has been bugging me
          > for a while.
          >
          > But, on another note, I'm thrilled that you are writing again, and I really
          > hope you don't make us wait too much longer to resolve the cliffhangers
          > from this chapter.
        • Eric
          Message 4 of 4 , Feb 5, 2012
            I enjoyed the chapter.

            I liked the brief tour around town, and tonks' decision that harry needs resistance training via repeated exposure. : )

            I wonder who will be the on to suggest the girls share him, or if it will be much longer before any such decision is made. Luna and hermione do seem to be thinking too rationally about it, and 3 days is not a very long time at all.

            I can't comment on the cliffhanger yet as I don't want to spoil it, and the rampant speculation going on in my head is probably way out there.

            Peace : )