First 14 revised and beta edited chapters of Thoughts of Pudding uploaded

  • Brian64
    Message 1 of 10 , Jan 7, 2012
      Hi all,

      For those of you that only receive special notices, you may not have seen the announcement that I've uploaded the first 14 revised chapters of Thoughts of Pudding.

      The zip file contains 14 Word documents, which should still be in the older Word 97/2003 format. I'm using Word 2010 now so I can only cross my fingers and hope they work for everyone.

      If anyone feels like uploading html versions, then feel free to do so in the appropriate folder. I will get around to it myself at some stage, but I still have some revising to do.

      Chapters 15-17 have been sent to my new beta; Alix33, who went through this first batch of 14 in a single day once she had a chance to work on them.

      As I mentioned in my other post, anyone else that would like to offer suggestions for changes, especially before I start posting these chapters more widely, then please feel free to do so. The more other people do it, the less I'll be inclined to do it myself.. the less time I spend on old chapters, the more time I can spend on new ones.

      If you do want to suggest changes, please use the 'track changes' feature in Word if you can, or use BOLD RED text or similar so I can see what is changed. Any changed files should be uploaded to the beta edit folder, or you can just email them to me - whichever you like - as long as you don't upload them back to the Thoughts of Pudding 2012 folder.

      If you search the files area on the group, you'll find the older version in its own folder. The Audiobook folder still has the old version. At some point I'll use my text to speech converter on the revised version and post it on the Pudding audio group, but that's a job for later.

      Anyway, I hope you like the revised version. I know I'm a lot happier with it now.

      Don't forget to thank Alix33 for her part in motivating me to get back into writing this fic.. (http://www.fanfiction.net/u/699487/alix33)

      Regards,

      Brian
    • NuitTombee
      Message 2 of 10 , Jan 7, 2012
        Would you want them in the Same folder as the .doc and .zip of the new files?

        -James

        --- In Thoughts_of_Pudding@yahoogroups.com, "Brian64" <bjdibbins@...> wrote:

        > Hi all,
        >
        > If anyone feels like uploading html versions, then feel free to do so in the appropriate folder. I will get around to it myself at some stage, but I still have some revising to do.
        >
        > Regards,
        >
        > Brian

      • Brian64
        Message 3 of 10 , Jan 7, 2012
          Good question!

          Short answer.. kinda, yes.

          Just give me a second and I'll create a sub-folder in there called HTML versions or something similar. They can go in there

          Cheers,

          Brian

          --- In Thoughts_of_Pudding@yahoogroups.com, "NuitTombee" <nuittombee@...> wrote:

          > Would you want them in the Same folder as the .doc and .zip of the new files?
          >
          > -James
          >

          > --- In Thoughts_of_Pudding@yahoogroups.com, "Brian64" <bjdibbins@> wrote:
          > >
          > > Hi all,
          > >
          > > If anyone feels like uploading html versions, then feel free to do so in the appropriate folder. I will get around to it myself at some stage, but I still have some revising to do.
          > >
          > > Regards,
          > >
          > > Brian

        • NuitTombee
          Message 4 of 10 , Jan 8, 2012
            Uploaded.

            -James

            --- In Thoughts_of_Pudding@yahoogroups.com, "Brian64" <bjdibbins@...> wrote:

            > Good question!
            >
            > Short answer.. kinda, yes.
            >
            > Just give me a second and I'll create a sub-folder in there called HTML versions or something similar. They can go in there
            >
            > Cheers,
            >
            > Brian
          • Brian64
            Message 5 of 10 , Jan 8, 2012
              Awesome. Thank you.

              Brian

              --- In Thoughts_of_Pudding@yahoogroups.com, "NuitTombee" <nuittombee@...> wrote:

              > Uploaded.
              >
              > -James
            • Tommy King
              Message 6 of 10 , Jan 8, 2012
                There is a free add on for older versions of Word that lets you read the newer versions

                Tommy

                British by birth, Scottish by the grace of God
                www.stopthetraffik.org

                Message 7 of 10 , Jan 8, 2012
                  Good point, Tommy. I've actually got Microsoft's file format converters installed on some of the computers at work for those times when we needed them before upgrading.

                  This looks like the link needed if anyone has any problems, but you may be better off just searching for 'microsoft word file format converters' yourself. The MS site has a habit of detecting your operating system, etc, and offering an appropriate file. As they say, YMMV...

                  http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/details.aspx?id=3

                  Hopefully of course all of the files will be okay and this won't be needed.. Still, better to have it and not need it, than need it and not have it.

                  Cheers,

                  Brian

                  --- In Thoughts_of_Pudding@yahoogroups.com, Tommy King <tumshie1960@...> wrote:

                  > There is a free add on for older versions of Word that lets you read the newer versions
                • Ralph S.
                  Message 8 of 10 , Jan 8, 2012
                    On 1/8/2012 11:21 AM, Brian64 wrote:
                    > Good point, Tommy. I've actually got Microsoft's file format converters installed on some of the computers at work for those times when we needed them before upgrading.

                    Failing that, it looks like the HTML files work fine, too. Sure
                    Word-generated HTML is crap but better that than nothing, right? ;o)
                  • Alan
                    Message 9 of 10 , Jan 8, 2012
                      --- In Thoughts_of_Pudding@yahoogroups.com, "Brian64" <bjdibbins@...> wrote:

                      > Hi all,
                      >
                      > For those of you that only receive special notices, you may not have seen the announcement that I've uploaded the first 14 revised chapters of Thoughts of Pudding.

                      > Don't forget to thank Alix33 for her part in motivating me to get back into writing this fic.. (http://www.fanfiction.net/u/699487/alix33)

                      Thanks Alix33
                    • James Lyon
                      Message 10 of 10 , Jan 8, 2012