Re: Still around

  • Alan
    Message 1 of 16 , Mar 29, 2011
      --- In Thoughts_of_Pudding@yahoogroups.com, "Ralph S." <ralph.sch@...> wrote:

      > As characterizations go, my favorite Luna by far is the one in
      > Aealkets's /Heart's Home/.

      Wow!
      Thank you very much.
      Alan (Aealket)
    • Ralph S.
      Message 2 of 16 , Mar 30, 2011
        On 3/30/2011 7:07 AM, Alan wrote:

        > --- In Thoughts_of_Pudding@yahoogroups.com, "Ralph S." <ralph.sch@...> wrote:
        >
        >> As characterizations go, my favorite Luna by far is the one in
        >> Aealkets's /Heart's Home/.
        >>
        > Wow!
        > Thank you very much.
        > Alan (Aealket)
        Well, credit where credit is due. :o) You seem to have put a lot of
        thought into each of the characters, and - IMO - you managed to portray
        Luna as a /person/ rather than a character while /still/ keeping
        quintessential "Luna" intact.

        Same for Hermione, by the way. You've captured the girl without
        exaggerating neither the "good" nor the "bad" personality traits and
        that is something that just... appeals to me. It makes her seem...
        human. Less of a caricature, if you know what I mean.

        Huh... didn't mean to write /that/ much. Let's just say HH is one of my
        all-time favorites. :o)

        --
        "And in the meantime shut up and let's get on with this parade."
      • Alan
        Message 3 of 16 , Mar 30, 2011
          I think Snape can be drawn a lot of ways. It is my personal opinion that the dark mark will 'color' or influence whoever has the mark. Exaggerating the bad and minimizing anything else. We know that Snape was bullied as a student, and I believe he took the mark in a fit of anger and hurt after he and Lily blew up. But I don't remember it ever being mentioned that Snape actually killed someone. (I could be wrong since I didn't enjoy book six and seven and forgot them as quickly as I could.)

          Alan
        • Alan
          Message 4 of 16 , Mar 30, 2011
            --- In Thoughts_of_Pudding@yahoogroups.com, "Ralph S." <ralph.sch@...> wrote:

            > Well, credit where credit is due. :o) You seem to have put a lot of
            > thought into each of the characters, and - IMO - you managed to portray
            > Luna as a /person/ rather than a character while /still/ keeping
            > quintessential "Luna" intact.
            >
            > Same for Hermione, by the way. You've captured the girl without
            > exaggerating neither the "good" nor the "bad" personality traits and
            > that is something that just... appeals to me. It makes her seem...
            > human. Less of a caricature, if you know what I mean.

            Wow and thanks yet again.

            My understanding of Luna as a character in ToP (as I remember it, it has been a while) is that Luna wants a relationship, but is very unsure of her own worth and won't commit to Harry unless Harry commits to her, meaning that Harry picks Luna over Hermione. Luna wants some assurance that her relationship isn't some fling. Thus the 'contest' with Hermione to give Harry a chance to pull back before Luna pins all of her hopes on one boy. Which I admit is very confusing to Hermione.

            So I see Luna as the often used onion. With many layers of defenses and a a person who won't peel back the layers without some tears being shed. (lousy pun I know).

            Alan
          • Kalrany
            Message 5 of 16 , Mar 30, 2011
              Errr... murder isn't the classifier of evil. A lot of evil people never killed anyone at all.