Re: [Thoughts_of_Pudding] Re: Thoughts of Luna (Was: Still around)

  • Ralph S.
    Message 1 of 16 , Mar 27, 2011
      On 03/27/11 06:16, Brian64 wrote:
      > I don't think she'd break if she lost H & Hr, but she would probably retreat further into her imagination and be less likely to form new friendships or attachments. I don't think Luna is insane, as she makes a conscious decision as to where to focus her mind. While she can still make that choice for herself I would consider her quite sane.
      She wouldn't break if she lost H+Hr, no; what I meant was more along the
      lines "if they deliberately hurt her" (or Luna believes they do). If she
      lost them, you're right; she'd probably withdraw further.

      No am I saying she's insane. But she is, (and it should maybe be noted
      this is IMO - just like the rest I'm posting ;o) ) teetering on the
      brink of losing the already tenuous grasp on reality she has. If that
      happens...

      The other points you're raising are very valid. I'll have to look into
      this a bit more. In the end, however, we're lacking a Luna POV so this
      is all speculation.

      Luna IS an interesting character... but I can't help thinking that's not
      what JKR intended for her at all, instead writing her more as a comic
      relief character and for some "outsider" to be there for Harry at the
      end of OOTP. Otherwise, I'd think she'd have done more with Luna - after
      all, the girl is around since CoS but only pops up in OOTP (IIRC).

      Probably to avoid Harry and Hermione getting even closer, and then she
      wrote herself into a corner because she didn't know what to do with that
      new character she introduced. It's at least a possibility, considering
      that she's quite unable to juggle even a /few/ of them - one more
      character would NOT make matters easier.

      But that's just the cynic in me. ;o)
    • Alan
      Message 2 of 16 , Mar 29, 2011
        --- In Thoughts_of_Pudding@yahoogroups.com, "Ralph S." <ralph.sch@...> wrote:

        > As characterizations go, my favorite Luna by far is the one in
        > Aealkets's /Heart's Home/.

        Wow!
        Thank you very much.
        Alan (Aealket)
      • Ralph S.
        Message 3 of 16 , Mar 30, 2011
          On 3/30/2011 7:07 AM, Alan wrote:

          > --- In Thoughts_of_Pudding@yahoogroups.com, "Ralph S." <ralph.sch@...> wrote:
          >
          >> As characterizations go, my favorite Luna by far is the one in
          >> Aealkets's /Heart's Home/.
          >>
          > Wow!
          > Thank you very much.
          > Alan (Aealket)
          Well, credit where credit is due. :o) You seem to have put a lot of
          thought into each of the characters, and - IMO - you managed to portray
          Luna as a /person/ rather than a character while /still/ keeping
          quintessential "Luna" intact.

          Same for Hermione, by the way. You've captured the girl without
          exaggerating neither the "good" nor the "bad" personality traits and
          that is something that just... appeals to me. It makes her seem...
          human. Less of a caricature, if you know what I mean.

          Huh... didn't mean to write /that/ much. Let's just say HH is one of my
          all-time favorites. :o)

          --
          "And in the meantime shut up and let's get on with this parade."
        • Alan
          Message 4 of 16 , Mar 30, 2011
            I think Snape can be drawn a lot of ways. It is my personal opinion that the dark mark will 'color' or influence whoever has the mark. Exaggerating the bad and minimizing anything else. We know that Snape was bullied as a student, and I believe he took the mark in a fit of anger and hurt after he and Lily blew up. But I don't remember it ever being mentioned that Snape actually killed someone. (I could be wrong since I didn't enjoy book six and seven and forgot them as quickly as I could.)

            Alan
          • Alan
            Message 5 of 16 , Mar 30, 2011
              --- In Thoughts_of_Pudding@yahoogroups.com, "Ralph S." <ralph.sch@...> wrote:

              > Well, credit where credit is due. :o) You seem to have put a lot of
              > thought into each of the characters, and - IMO - you managed to portray
              > Luna as a /person/ rather than a character while /still/ keeping
              > quintessential "Luna" intact.
              >
              > Same for Hermione, by the way. You've captured the girl without
              > exaggerating neither the "good" nor the "bad" personality traits and
              > that is something that just... appeals to me. It makes her seem...
              > human. Less of a caricature, if you know what I mean.

              Wow and thanks yet again.

              My understanding of Luna as a character in ToP (as I remember it, it has been a while) is that Luna wants a relationship, but is very unsure of her own worth and won't commit to Harry unless Harry commits to her, meaning that Harry picks Luna over Hermione. Luna wants some assurance that her relationship isn't some fling. Thus the 'contest' with Hermione to give Harry a chance to pull back before Luna pins all of her hopes on one boy. Which I admit is very confusing to Hermione.

              So I see Luna as the often used onion. With many layers of defenses and a a person who won't peel back the layers without some tears being shed. (lousy pun I know).

              Alan
            • Kalrany
              Message 6 of 16 , Mar 30, 2011
                Errr... murder isn't the classifier of evil. A lot of evil people never killed anyone at all.