355Re: [Thoughts_of_Pudding] Re: It's all the Chem Prof's fault...

  • Vern Trumbly
    Dec 3, 2008
      On 12/3/08, Brian <bjdibbins@...> wrote:

      The way I view Snape is that he is more than happy to use his words
      as a weapon to berate and undermine Harry (and others), but without
      doing any real harm to the children himself. Eg, first indication
      of 'goodness' is that he tried to counter-curse the broom in Harry's
      first year, and perhaps the last was his work in trying to keep the
      students safe (or at least safer) during his reign as headmaster.
      Eg, sending the would-be sword stealers for detention with Hagrid
      instead of the Carrows.

      I have to disagree with one point here, in that he did harm children, Harry and Neville in particular, by his being a complete git to them in class. His constant sniping and belittling of certain students would be very bad for their self-confidence, especially ones like Harry and Neville who didn't have a whole lot of it to begin with.  What little "good" he did, could in no way offset that constant barrage of crap he handed out in class. I see him saving Harry as more or less self-preservation because he noticed what was going on and knew how to counter it.

      The Prof's Snape though took a more active role in deliberately
      working to destroy Harry's happiness for life - words fail me at
      trying to describe how I feel about that (since the ones I want to
      use are usually referred to as 'four letter' words). Harry's
      only 'crime' against Snape is to have been born.

      I totally agree, since what I said above supports this. The man did not belong in a classroom with that attitude.

      Anyway... I mostly hate 'nice' Snape stories, since I just can't see
      it in the character. He's a bullying toerag, and mostly deserves all
      the crap he has to deal with. Doesn't mean that everything he does
      is evil, and also doesn't mean that he isn't working towards an
      overall good end, but he is seriously flawed and has a blind spot
      when it comes to Harry, IMHO.

      Cheers,

      Brian

      As you say, Snape is not totally evil, but he is far from one of the "good guys". That he gave Harry that "memory dump" near the end of DH in no way makes up for all the years of abuse he heaped on Harry. No where in canon does it show him actually teaching but just writing things on the blackboard and telling the class, even first years, to get to it. He's less than useless in a classroom and a menace to those he does not like, such as Harry and Neville, and basically all Gryffindors. By comparison, McGonagall and Flitwick are shown actually teaching things and helping their students, at no time is Snape seen doing this. Whether JKR intended it or not, she wrote a very poor character here

      Snape and the situation with the curse on the Defense professor prove that Albus had his head up his arse most of the last 15 or 20 years of his life. A man with over 90 years of magical experience and headmaster of a school doesn't know what is going on in his classroom? That same man doesn't figure out there is a problem with the Defense job after what, 30 or so years. I see this as a failure of him to actively try to dispell that curse and to adequately supervise his staff. But mainly I see it as poor writing. She could and should have addressed those inadequacies, and many others as well, even with only a sentence or two on each. Well, I'm not sure she could have justified Snape's teaching methods in any way shape or form. So there you have my complete opinion on that subject. lol

      So how's chapter 23 coming Brian?
      __._

      --
      Vern, aka Herman Tumbleweed

      Once you can honestly say, "I don't know", then it becomes possible to get at the truth. - Robert Heinlein
    • Show all 11 messages in this topic