Fw: Principled Leadership in Times of Crisis

  • Eric Reinhardt
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 11, 2008

      --- On Thu, 9/11/08, Russ Verney, BobBarr2008.com <info@...> wrote:
      From: Russ Verney, BobBarr2008.com <info@...>
      Subject: Principled Leadership in Times of Crisis
      To: "Friend" <ericreinhardt2003@...>
      Date: Thursday, September 11, 2008, 12:20 PM

      Dear Friend,
      Before I move forward with an important report for today, I would like to recognize and remember the 2,819 men and women who lost their lives seven years ago.  As a result of the attacks of September 11th, Americans came together, setting aside differences in order mourn our shared losses and assist our neighbors in need.

      May we never forget . . .

      In times of crisis, strength in leadership requires boldness of character, clear direction and firm resolve.  As we witnessed after the attacks of September 11th, President George W. Bush showed incredible leadership as he stood atop a fire truck amidst the rubble of the twin towers to rally America.

      While the quality of leadership is rare enough, principled leaders are few and far between.  Those who do appear to posses the traits necessary to lead, for reasons only known to themselves, frequently choose not to stand on principle.

      Yesterday, our vice presidential candidate, Wayne Allyn Root, offered to step aside to allow Congressman Ron Paul an opportunity to serve on the presidential ticket of the Libertarian Party and move the agenda of Liberty forward.

      On the surface, a simple offer was extended. In fact it was principled leadership at its finest.

      Wayne Allyn Root showed his deep commitment to the principles of our cause. Without hesitation or regard to the effort, time and personal funds he has committed to the issues of freedom, smaller government, less taxes and the Libertarian ticket, Wayne offered to step aside to allow another leader to step up.

      I could not be more proud of his actions and selflessness.

      As America is hurling towards crisis on many fronts, we need principled leaders like Bob Barr and Wayne Allyn Root.  We have no time to waste on anything other than spreading the message of smaller government, less taxes, and more personal freedom issues across this nation.

      That brings me to my next point.

      Today our campaign is being criticized by a few people for my decision to not attend a press conference sponsored by Ron Paul's political action committee. I thought I would take a minute to explain to you why I made that decision.

      It became evident to me after meeting with Ron Paul's staff that this media event was not about promoting the liberty agenda; it was about promoting a man.  That's not what we're in this for.

      After rumors were spread in advance of the news conference that Bob Barr was dropping from the race - just to hype the event - I became even more hesitant to attend.  Those tactics were unacceptable and when asked about it, Ron Paul's staff simply smiled and said it would attract the press.

      When I was provided a copy of Ron Paul's prepared remarks just hours before the start of the planned news conference it became clear to me that the message Ron Paul intended to deliver was essentially to scatter the votes for the liberty agenda to the four winds.

      His remarks not only encouraged anyone listening to support any one of four candidates, he also applauded 'non-voters'. To me encouraging people not to vote is not principled leadership for the Liberty agenda.

      I made the decision that attending that news conference was not consistent with Bob Barr's principled leadership for the Liberty agenda.

      Once I informed Ron Paul's staff of my decision I was rudely informed that my decision would have permanent ramifications, I was personally threatened and Bob Barr was politically threatened. That's a far cry from principled leadership.

      One thing that did occur as a result of yesterday's events is a clear separation of certain factions.  Up until now, we have been dealing with two groups, those who want to advance the issues of liberty and those who have been drawn into a cult of personality.

      There are those who support a specific politician and then there are those who support the liberty agenda regardless of standard-bearer.

      Bob Barr, Wayne Allyn Root and the Libertarian Party stand for the issues of personal freedom and responsible government. As they have proven, both Bob and Wayne are willing to lead or follow for the advancement of our issues.

      Now is their time to lead.

      As we move into the final 50 days of the campaign we are in place to make a strong impact on the future of our country.

      At the end of the day, the number of votes cast in support of the Liberty agenda in the General Election will influence the national political agenda of the next four years.

      If we do our jobs, work hard and give us much as possible until Election Day, our voices will be heard and our agenda of smaller government, lower taxes, more personal freedom and government accountability will be on the table for years to come.

      I appreciate your commitment and dedication.

      Sincerely,
      Russ signature
      Russell Verney
      Campaign Manager
      To donate by mail:
      Barr 2008 Presidential Committee
      P.O. Box 725007
      Atlanta, GA 31139

      To donate by phone:
      Call 1-800-Bob-Barr
      Paid for by Barr 2008 Presidential Committee.
      Federal law requires us to report the name, address, and name of employer and occupation for any individual whose aggregate contributions total over $200 in a calendar year. Corporate contributions and gifts from foreign nationals are prohibited. Personal Credit Card gifts only. Contributions are not tax deductible for income tax purposes. Limit of $2,300 per person per election and $4,600 per couple if signed by both parties and drawn on a jointly held bank account.

    • DAN 1
      Message 2 of 2 , Sep 19, 2008
        This is an important sharing Mr. Reinhardt. I thank you for posting it here. This reveals influential things about some of the "goings on" in the Third Parties part of Our Nation. This letter may have increased importance in the future.

        I applaud the self mastery of Wayne Allen Root in his self sacrifice for Ron Paul. This is a fine example of what i seek in the American people. It is good to know that this kind of dedication to goodness exists in higher places than where i function. It is reassuring to see such leadership in high places in Our Nation.

        Respectfully,  DAN 1

        Thats all I can respond to today. Gotta go. Be back soon with more.