Re: researching the breed...

  • Kirby
    Message 1 of 5 , Mar 23, 2008
      --- In ThewhippetOnline@yahoogroups.com, "strutnrhythm2002"
      <dawnkennedy@...> wrote:

      > Hello,
      >
      > I am new to the list and currently have never owned a whippet,
      > however have been admiring them for about 10 years now and am
      > seriously considering a whippet for my next dog. I have researched
      > breeders and have spoke to as many people that I can find that have
      > owned a whippet, however am getting very mixed messages about the
      > breed. Was hoping that perhaps I can get some feedback from the list
      > on what a whippet is like to live with. Most recently I spoke with
      > someone who is involved with rescue and that person informed me NOT
      > to get a whippet puppy as they are "nightmares"...they are absolutely
      > mental and very difficult to live with for the first two years and
      > that is why alot of them end up in rescue?? Personally every puppy I
      > have had is like raising a baby in regards to puppy proofing the
      > house, watching them 24/7, teaching them the do's and don't of the
      > household, teething, house training and the list goes on....however
      > are whippets extremely destructive puppies in comparison to other
      > breeds??? I have had different breeds in the past that I have shown
      > in various areas such as confirmation, obedience, agility, flyball
      > and Rally and believe I can provide a good home for a whippet,
      > however want to ensure that a whippet would be happy in the
      > enviorment we have to offer, which includes 2 small shih tzu's.
      >
      > Any advice would certainly be welcomed.
      >
      > Dawn.

      Hi Dawn: Yes the puppies can be destructive, however you can control
      that as well threw crating and lot of chew sticks that also keep their
      teeth clean (it's a win win) they need to chew and should be
      encouraged to chew the right things !! if you can achieve that you are
      sure to have a Great Whippet that loves to snuggle and loves to learn
      new things, I don't want to boast but I have two great Whippets male
      and a female that has already had one litter and the both of them are
      fantastic. A Whippet is a great choice, but you really have to be
      committed and consistant. Hope thats help a bit

      Kirby
    • strutnrhythm2002
      Message 2 of 5 , Mar 23, 2008
        --- In ThewhippetOnline@yahoogroups.com, "Kirby" <divadukenash@...>
        wrote:

        > --- In ThewhippetOnline@yahoogroups.com, "strutnrhythm2002"
        > <dawnkennedy@> wrote:
        > >
        > > Hello,
        > >
        > > I am new to the list and currently have never owned a whippet,
        > > however have been admiring them for about 10 years now and am
        > > seriously considering a whippet for my next dog. I have
        researched
        > > breeders and have spoke to as many people that I can find that
        have
        > > owned a whippet, however am getting very mixed messages about the
        > > breed. Was hoping that perhaps I can get some feedback from the
        list
        > > on what a whippet is like to live with. Most recently I spoke
        with
        > > someone who is involved with rescue and that person informed me
        NOT
        > > to get a whippet puppy as they are "nightmares"...they are
        absolutely
        > > mental and very difficult to live with for the first two years
        and
        > > that is why alot of them end up in rescue?? Personally every
        puppy I
        > > have had is like raising a baby in regards to puppy proofing the
        > > house, watching them 24/7, teaching them the do's and don't of
        the
        > > household, teething, house training and the list goes
        on....however
        > > are whippets extremely destructive puppies in comparison to other
        > > breeds??? I have had different breeds in the past that I have
        shown
        > > in various areas such as confirmation, obedience, agility,
        flyball
        > > and Rally and believe I can provide a good home for a whippet,
        > > however want to ensure that a whippet would be happy in the
        > > enviorment we have to offer, which includes 2 small shih tzu's.
        > >
        > > Any advice would certainly be welcomed.
        > >
        > > Dawn.
        > >
        > Hi Dawn: Yes the puppies can be destructive, however you can control
        > that as well threw crating and lot of chew sticks that also keep
        their
        > teeth clean (it's a win win) they need to chew and should be
        > encouraged to chew the right things !! if you can achieve that you
        are
        > sure to have a Great Whippet that loves to snuggle and loves to
        learn
        > new things, I don't want to boast but I have two great Whippets male
        > and a female that has already had one litter and the both of them
        are
        > fantastic. A Whippet is a great choice, but you really have to be
        > committed and consistant. Hope thats help a bit
        >
        > Kirby

        Kirby,

        thank you for the reply. Now that you mentioned you own both a male
        and a female, do you find any differences between the sexes in
        regards to devotion, independence, wanting to please, etc. I have
        always gravitated towards the males and have only ever owned one
        female...so I am not sure if the female I had was unique or that most
        females are independant and not as willing to please??

        Dawn.
      • Kirby
        Message 3 of 5 , Mar 23, 2008
          <dawnkennedy@...> wrote:

> [...]
          > > sure to have a Great Whippet that loves to snuggle and loves to
          > learn
          > > new things, I don't want to boast but I have two great Whippets male
          > > and a female that has already had one litter and the both of them
          > are
          > > fantastic. A Whippet is a great choice, but you really have to be
          > > committed and consistant. Hope thats help a bit
          > >
          > > Kirby
          >
          > Kirby,
          >
          > thank you for the reply. Now that you mentioned you own both a male
          > and a female, do you find any differences between the sexes in
          > regards to devotion, independence, wanting to please, etc. I have
          > always gravitated towards the males and have only ever owned one
          > female...so I am not sure if the female I had was unique or that most
          > females are independant and not as willing to please??

          Dawn

          There is a difference between the two, the female is a real girly
          girl and more sensitive than the male , he is all boy and is the one
          who will get into more trouble than her, but if I had to pick only one
          Whippet I would keep her, she steals everyone heart and her eyes and
          the way she looks at you "make you melt ! , but I love them both, I
          really think it's a individual decision on what you prefer. The mother
          of the pup is also important and her disposition I have heard that it
          can also determine the type of dog it will be, so make sure you do
          your research on the breeder before you purchase one. I know a breeder
          that has been breeding whippets for 20 years and has been showing them
          for the same amount of time, and his dogs are all very well taken care
          of and loved (very important) if you are interested I can hook you up
          with him he has a pregnant bitch as we speak

          Kirby
        • Laura & Bob Matthews
          Message 4 of 5 , Apr 24 6:30 AM
            Hi,

            It's been a very long time since I visited the group but was checking out the messages when I saw Dawn's post.  We do not breed.  We started living with whippets only 8 years ago but now have 4 ;)  (and a Chihuahua)  All of our whippets (and the Chi) are females and all are spayed.

            You asked if there are any differences between the sexes in regards to devotion, independence, wanting to please, etc.  Obviously we can't comment on the males as we don't have any - but with the females... our Girls all vary greatly in their personalities - as they are all individuals.

            ALL of them are devoted to us - and we to them.  Two of them are fairly independent - although they do need to know where we are.  One of the most independent of them all - Cleo - is also the one who is the most obedient.  Our other two are more cuddly and need to be with us... Pandora the most.  I do have to say... if I lie down for a little bit - they ALL hear me lie down on the bed - regardless of where they are in the house - and run to come lie down with me.

            I guess what I am trying to say is that like people, they all have differences in their personalites.

            As for destructiveness as puppies.... Cleo and Athena are the only 2 we got as pups.  I think it is important to keep the crated if you are not home - and also if you cannot keep an eye on them (ie: doing housework)  Otherwise, we always kept them in the same room that we were in.  We had no troubles.  It also helped to play with them to tire them out.

            Cleo was our first, and when she was about a year old we got Athena.  I tell you, 2 whippets are MUCH easier than one!!  They play with each other if you are too tired to play :)  I think it also helped that Cleo was a year older than Athena.  I've not had 2 puppies of the same age before... that might be harder instead of easier LOL!

            Pandora is our youngest - almost 3 now.  We got her at 22 months.  She is a bit "spasitcal" - but we figure that is just because she has extra energy she needs to burn off.  Once we realized that - when she gets like that we let her run in our fenced yard for about 10 - 15 minutes and she's much better!

            I hope that helps!
            Laura,  Bob & the Girls

            Our Whippets' Blog