Question

  • Kirby Campbell
    Message 1 of 14 , Mar 2, 2006
      My male whippet is limping today, following a good run yesterday, just after the run he was fine but after his nap and still this morning he (Duke) is still favouring his left leg. There is no swelling anywhere and this paw is fine. Could this be anything to worry about and is there anything that I can give him to help with the pain. It seems a little better that last night.
      The run lasted for about an hour and he was flying the whole time, is it possible this is just a little fatigue ?
      any thoughts or advise ?

      Kirby
      www.kirbyswippets.piczo.com

    • Clocar@aol.com
      Message 2 of 14 , Mar 2, 2006
        Kirby

        Sounds to me like Duke may have pulled a muscle, probably in his shoulder, causing him to limp. I would give him a few days rest and if it does not get better than see a vet. You can give asprine for pain, but I feel that does not help. If he "feels better" from the asprine, then he will start using those muscles before they have a chance tto heal. Just let him rest for a couple of days.

        Carol Curry
      • ReJoyce Whippets
        Message 3 of 14 , Mar 2, 2006
          Kirby,

          If he ran for most of that hour and he does not normally run that much all at once, it's quite possibly fatigue or strained muscles, etc.  Imagine yourself not exercising much, then all of a sudden one day going for an hour-long brisk walk or jog.  You'd be hurting too, probably for several days afterwards...

          Duke probably has a case of "lactic acid fermentation."  As long as his limping continues to decrease and improve, and there continues to be no swelling, he's probably going to be fine without vet attention.  Any negative changes though, or if the limp goes away for a while (days or weeks) but then suddenly returns, he should be seen by your vet right away.
          --
          Mel

          Race or Face, they all reveal Grace...
          ReJoyce Whippets
          www.rejoycewhippets.com
          Guy & Melody Joyce, Michigan, USA

          Message 4 of 14 , Mar 9, 2006
            Can anybody tell me when a female Whippet will start to show, after breeding her, and is there another way to tell if she is pregnant ?
            My female was bred 3 weeks ago on her 11th day and then again on the 13th day of her cycle, her nipples are out a bit and pink, does that mean anything ?

            Kirby

            Enrich your life at Yahoo! Canada Finance
          • MDehring@aol.com
            Message 5 of 14 , Mar 9, 2006
              In a message dated 3/9/06 5:24:08 PM Central Standard Time, divadukenash@... writes:

              My female was bred 3 weeks ago on her 11th day and then again on the 13th day of her cycle, her nipples are out a bit and pink, does that mean anything ?

              yes she is probably PG
            • sallyjl2001
              Message 6 of 14 , Mar 10, 2006
                --- In ThewhippetOnline@yahoogroups.com, Kirby Campbell
                <divadukenash@...> wrote:

                > Can anybody tell me when a female Whippet will start to show, after
                breeding her, and is there another way to tell if she is pregnant ?
                > My female was bred 3 weeks ago on her 11th day and then again on
                the 13th day of her cycle, her nipples are out a bit and pink, does
                that mean anything ?

                > Kirby
                > www.kirbyswippets.piczo.com
                >

                > ---------------------------------
                > Enrich your life at Yahoo! Canada Finance

                Kirby,

                Little mama whippets don't usually start un-tucking their tuck-ups
                until about five weeks. Some very experienced breeders or
                veterinarians can tell by feeling for puppies before that, but five
                weeks is generally the time to tell for certain. After that, they
                expand very quickly if they are having a good-sized litter.
                It's fun to take stacked photos from the side and top every few days,
                to keep as a record of the pregnancy. If you can get good poses that
                are nearly the same each time, you can really see the changes taking
                place.
                Good luck to you and your girl!

                Sally Long
                Longrun Whippets
                Dow, IL
                http://longrun5.tripod.com/longrunwhippets/

                "The only thing needed for evil to prosper is for good men to do nothing."
                - Edmund Burke (1729-1797)
                Still true today and for always.

                Pore spellers of the werld: untie!
              • Kirby Campbell
                Message 7 of 14 , Oct 24, 2006
                  Hello All !
                  I have posted a tricky new question of the week , see if you know the answer ?
                  Click on the Question of the week link
                  www.kirbyswippets.piczo.com

                  Hope all is well with everybody
                  Kirby