Re: Whippet too worn out?

  • Gregg Gammie
    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 1, 2003
      Hi Henry,
      I don't think you are overdoing it in the exercise department but
      you are close for a 5 month puppy. I think I'd scale back to one of
      those walk a day for the next month or two and let him mature out a bit.
      As to the stiffness after the runs in the park. He ran harder and
      farther than he had before and the muscles told him about it by being a
      bit stiff, just like us when we over do it. A few more trips and he'll
      have those muscles in shape and won't be stiff afterwards. Since the
      muscles are stressed in a different way when running as opposed to
      walking or trotting this is completely normal.
      Have fun!

      ThewhippetOnline@yahoogroups.com wrote:

      >There is 1 message in this issue.
      >
      >Topics in this digest:
      >
      > 1. Whippet too worn out?
      > From: "Henry Wallace" <henry@...>

      >Message: 1
      > Date: Tue, 30 Sep 2003 05:23:50 -0000
      > From: "Henry Wallace" <henry@...>
      >Subject: Whippet too worn out?
      >
      >This question will demonstrate my limited knowledge of whippet needs
      >-- I could use your advice. We have a wonderful 5 month old male
      >whippet who naturally enjoys running free. We've read that one should
      >limit whippet pups exercise but do not know how much is OK. We
      >ordinarily take 2 walks a day (each less than a mile), and 3-4 times a
      >day we run around out in the back yard or thru our house (we have a
      >large house). He does well with this but you can tell he'd like more.
      >To get some socialization, we take him to a park with an enclosed area
      >where he and other small to mid-sized dogs can run and play. Both
      >times we did this, the next day he acted very stiff and sore for more
      >than half a day. This has us worried we are doing too much. What do
      >you think? Thanks.
      >
      >Regards,
      >Henry

      Gregg Gammie
      Whippet@...
      Fax: 801-459-1985

      "Civilization is the maintenance of social order, by its
      own inherent persuasiveness as embodying the nobler
      alternative. The recourse to force, however
      unavoidable, is a disclosure of the failure of civilization,
      either in the general society or in a remnant of
      individuals. " --Alfred North Whitehead

      "He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You
      are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful
      and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be
      worthy of such devotion."
      Anonymous