Re: [ThewhippetOnline] Some Days, I Could Pull my Hair Out

  • Donna Lane
    Message 1 of 10 , May 9, 2001
      The whippet's reaction is the same as any dog's instinctive reaction, if it runs, chase it.  You have to stop the cats from running.

      The only way I know to do this is to cage the cats where the dog can still interact with them through the wire until the animals stop reacting to each other.  This is, of course, much easier said than done as it can take a very long time.  Good Luck.

      Message 2 of 10 , May 9, 2001
        Hi Ashley,

        >Has anyone had to introduce their Whippet to cats?

        We have three Whippets and two cats at the moment. The youngest Whip
        "Blue" was very playful with the cats too, she catches them and
        wanted to dominate them with "riding on".
        I think the best way is to train the dog not to run behind the cats.
        Whippets are easy to train...
        I would train the girl to sit an stay while the cats were eating,
        because the cats won´t run then. Take the dog on a long lead an
        train her first to stay in a distance an give you a look. Do you know
        clickertraining? For looking at you (click) she has to become a good
        treat. You can click and treat her for every thing doing around the
        cats (sniffing, sitting...) exept of trying to play with them. The
        lead bewares her of making mistakes and you are able to ignore her if
        she trys to catch the cats. No treat and no attention should come
        from you since she trys it. How boring :-) She will do something
        other - click and treat. Very importend is looking at you, you can
        give her a word for that ("Watch me") and treat her. After a few
        days, when she is doing the "watch me" well you will be able to try
        it without the lead and then with the "free" cats. If you train the
        dog like this, you will later be able to stop her with "watch me"
        from running and then give her another command like "come" and treat.
        Sure you can also use some punishment if she presses the cats hard,
        but training her to look away from the cats is the first way, because
        you don´t want the dog to combine cats and punishment.

        Sorry for this bad english, I hope you understand what i wanted to
        say ;-)) Please ask if not *g*.
        Greetings from Germany, Anneke
        http://www.hundetreff.de
      • Jael Davis
        Message 3 of 10 , May 9, 2001
          Ashley,

          I feel your pain. I've got 3 dogs (about to be 4 when
          I pick up my whippet puppy this Saturday)and eight
          cats. Here are my observations:

          About the cat box and "kitty snacks". I have never
          been able to break my rottie of this habit. I am
          fortunate in that I could dedicate a large bedroom for
          the cats food/water and litter boxes. No only do the
          dogs like the stuff in the litter boxes but they love
          the cat's food, too. This way the dogs can't get to
          any of this. Of course this means I'm up and down all
          the time letting cats in and out of the room (which is
          off the family room). Ileave the cat room door open
          only then all the dogs are outside. This may not be an
          option for you so you may want to try the clicker
          training that Aneke wrote about. You might want to try
          a squirt gun to stop bad behavior, too.

          Chasing cats. There are two components to this
          behavior...one is the dog chasing them and the other
          are the cats running away from them.. What I've
          noticed is that the basenji (another sighthound
          notorious for chasing and sometimes killing small
          critters) only chases after those cats who run from
          him. The other laid back cats just ignore him and he
          doesn't chase them although he does try to get them to
          play. I have set things up so that there are lots of
          high places for the cats to escape to if they are
          getting pestered. Another thing that helps I think is
          that he has two other dogs to play with. This way he
          doesn't spend his time trying to get the cats to play
          with him too much. He only does this when his dog
          buddies are pooped and he's still raring to go. Don't
          laugh but you may want to get your whippet a doggie
          playmate!!

          Good luck!!

          jael

          http://auctions.yahoo.com/
        • marciarw@uswest.net
          Message 4 of 10 , May 9, 2001
            "Of course this means I'm up and down all the time
            letting cats in and out of the room"

            Jael,
            Have you considered putting a small cat door into your cat
            room? I did that when I got my house, and I don't have to
            spend any time guarding the "kitty cookies". The door out
            to my garage is metal, so I put the cat door into a wall.
            My two cats have full run of a dogless 2 car garage anytime
            they want.
            Marcia
          • HOLIKI@aol.com
            Message 5 of 10 , May 10, 2001
              In a message dated 5/9/2001 3:04:33 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
              ashleya@... writes:

              We're also having a heck of a
              time keeping her out of the litter box and have very few options as
              to where to put it.

              Buy one of the mats that are supposed to keep the litter from tracking all
              over the house. It's the mats that looks like grass.(I got mine at PetSmart)
              Comes in several colors.  My Whippet does not like the feel of that plastic
              grass under her feet. Also-I turn the litter box opening toward the wall. The
              cats can get in and out with ease but the dogs cannot reach around there (of
              course, this only works if you have a covered litter box).
              As for the Whippet and cat's situation.  It will just take time. I got my Zoe
              when she was 14 weeks old. She is now 3 yrs old and still chases the cats if
              they run. If they are just sitting or sleeping she couldn't care less about
              them.  I started shooting her with a water gun every time she ran after the
              cats--it helped some.  The cats will eventually get used to her and ignore
              her.  They will all become harmonious one day...
              ViAnn
            • Donna Lane
              Message 6 of 10 , May 10, 2001
                I suggest that you do not just wait for the whippet and cats to work things out.  The cats can be extremely stressed, and may quit using their litter box, start spraying urine in the house, lose weight, etc.  The cats need a safe place where the dog cannot get to them and the dog needs to learn not to chase the cats.

                If you are good at training dogs, you can try training her not to respond to the running cats (clicker method or whatever).  This is a good idea.  However, it is VERY hard for dogs (especially whippets) to ignore a running animal, and only works while you are home and supervising.

                I suggest caging the cats (or locking them in a room not accessable to the whippet) so that the cats cannot be chased when you are not in a position to control your whippet puppy.

                If you put them in a separate room rather than using a cage, the animals will not be getting used to each other when separated.  In that case, it would also be helpfull to let the cats out when you are home and can put your whippet on a leash tied to your belt.  If you allow the dog and cats unsupervised interaction where chasing and fear happen, it will be VERY hard on the cats and may create additional problems.

                I know that the whippet pup intends no harm, but cats who are not used to dogs just don't see it that way.

                Message 7 of 10 , May 10, 2001
                  Marcia,
                  Yes, I sure have....and believe it or not I
                  completely forgot about it (must be some menopausal
                  memory loss thing). Actually, we were seriously
                  considering moving to another state awhile back and I
                  didn't want to mess up the door. Since we're staying
                  put after all, I'll put one in. Thanks for reminding
                  me, duh!!

                  :) Jael

                  http://auctions.yahoo.com/
                • CCSvilink@aol.com
                  Message 8 of 10 , May 10, 2001
                    We have a whippet and two cats but we also have a litter box that we bought
                    at a cat show that is great.  It's  called the Purrfect Privy (I think I am
                    spelling this right but there is a web sight and it should be close in
                    spelling.)  It was sold by a very nice old couple and I wish them every
                    success in the world, they were so nice.  It is an enclosed litter box that
                    solves many problems:  dogs are blocked off; there is no tracking out of
                    litter; no embarassing litter box on view if it has to be placed in the
                    bathroom or kitchen as ours had to be; and the cats have total privacy. We
                    had no good place to put our litter box but in a corner of the kitchen and
                    this made it look like a piece of furniture instead of an eyesore.  And when
                    we added a whippet to the household, there was no question of raiding the
                    litterbox because it was all enclosed. Another plus was that we placed the
                    cats' food and water on top of the Purrfect Privy and it was just our of
                    reach of the whippet. It's a great product.