Re: Some Days, I Could Pull my Hair Out

  • sbbw@skyenet.net
    Message 1 of 10 , May 9, 2001
      Ashley,
      I can't speak on whippets and cats, but I can give some advice on the
      poop eating thing. My two whippets, 9 and 11 months were really bad.
      I had tried everything. A friend suggested "Prozyme". It is an enzyme
      that helps to use all of the food so there is nothing left with any
      good smells. It has made a hugh difference. It is a powder that you
      put on the food. You can purchase it from healthypets.com for $19.25
      for a 454 gm bottle. It lasts a long, long time. Trapper, 11 months,
      has no desire to even think about eating the poop, and Dusty, 9
      months, is almost to that point. Sometimes I think she is playing a
      game with me because she tries to beat me to it when she sees me on my
      way to clean it up. Good luck!!
      Brenda
      sbbw@...

      -- In ThewhippetOnline@y..., ashleya@a... wrote:
      > I love our 7-month old pup (we got her April 20). I really do. But
      > combined with 2 cats in a brand new house, it has been trying for us
      > sometimes.
      >
      > This leads me to a few questions:
      >
      > Aside from cleaning up immediately after her, is there a way to get
      > our dog to stop eating her own feces? We're also having a heck of a
      > time keeping her out of the litter box and have very few options as
      > to where to put it.
      >
      > Has anyone had to introduce their Whippet to cats? How long did it
      > take for things to settle down? Delta is extremely playful and all
      > she wants to do is play with them. They, on the other hand, cannot
      > stand her. Because she chases them, they can't even get to their
      > food or water freely. We have had one harmonious moment where the
      > dog fell asleep on one side of my husband, and one of the cats
      > nuzzled up to him on his other side.
      >
      > I realize that our dog is a puppy. She's hyper, playful, and it's
      > instinctual for her to chase things that move. Does anyone know how
      > we can make this transition easy on all of us?
      >
      > Thanks for any advice!
      > Ashley
    • Donna Lane
      Message 2 of 10 , May 9, 2001
        The whippet's reaction is the same as any dog's instinctive reaction, if it runs, chase it.  You have to stop the cats from running.

        The only way I know to do this is to cage the cats where the dog can still interact with them through the wire until the animals stop reacting to each other.  This is, of course, much easier said than done as it can take a very long time.  Good Luck.

        Message 3 of 10 , May 9, 2001
          Hi Ashley,

          >Has anyone had to introduce their Whippet to cats?

          We have three Whippets and two cats at the moment. The youngest Whip
          "Blue" was very playful with the cats too, she catches them and
          wanted to dominate them with "riding on".
          I think the best way is to train the dog not to run behind the cats.
          Whippets are easy to train...
          I would train the girl to sit an stay while the cats were eating,
          because the cats won´t run then. Take the dog on a long lead an
          train her first to stay in a distance an give you a look. Do you know
          clickertraining? For looking at you (click) she has to become a good
          treat. You can click and treat her for every thing doing around the
          cats (sniffing, sitting...) exept of trying to play with them. The
          lead bewares her of making mistakes and you are able to ignore her if
          she trys to catch the cats. No treat and no attention should come
          from you since she trys it. How boring :-) She will do something
          other - click and treat. Very importend is looking at you, you can
          give her a word for that ("Watch me") and treat her. After a few
          days, when she is doing the "watch me" well you will be able to try
          it without the lead and then with the "free" cats. If you train the
          dog like this, you will later be able to stop her with "watch me"
          from running and then give her another command like "come" and treat.
          Sure you can also use some punishment if she presses the cats hard,
          but training her to look away from the cats is the first way, because
          you don´t want the dog to combine cats and punishment.

          Sorry for this bad english, I hope you understand what i wanted to
          say ;-)) Please ask if not *g*.
          Greetings from Germany, Anneke
          http://www.hundetreff.de
        • Jael Davis
          Message 4 of 10 , May 9, 2001
            Ashley,

            I feel your pain. I've got 3 dogs (about to be 4 when
            I pick up my whippet puppy this Saturday)and eight
            cats. Here are my observations:

            About the cat box and "kitty snacks". I have never
            been able to break my rottie of this habit. I am
            fortunate in that I could dedicate a large bedroom for
            the cats food/water and litter boxes. No only do the
            dogs like the stuff in the litter boxes but they love
            the cat's food, too. This way the dogs can't get to
            any of this. Of course this means I'm up and down all
            the time letting cats in and out of the room (which is
            off the family room). Ileave the cat room door open
            only then all the dogs are outside. This may not be an
            option for you so you may want to try the clicker
            training that Aneke wrote about. You might want to try
            a squirt gun to stop bad behavior, too.

            Chasing cats. There are two components to this
            behavior...one is the dog chasing them and the other
            are the cats running away from them.. What I've
            noticed is that the basenji (another sighthound
            notorious for chasing and sometimes killing small
            critters) only chases after those cats who run from
            him. The other laid back cats just ignore him and he
            doesn't chase them although he does try to get them to
            play. I have set things up so that there are lots of
            high places for the cats to escape to if they are
            getting pestered. Another thing that helps I think is
            that he has two other dogs to play with. This way he
            doesn't spend his time trying to get the cats to play
            with him too much. He only does this when his dog
            buddies are pooped and he's still raring to go. Don't
            laugh but you may want to get your whippet a doggie
            playmate!!

            Good luck!!

            jael

            http://auctions.yahoo.com/
          • marciarw@uswest.net
            Message 5 of 10 , May 9, 2001
              "Of course this means I'm up and down all the time
              letting cats in and out of the room"

              Jael,
              Have you considered putting a small cat door into your cat
              room? I did that when I got my house, and I don't have to
              spend any time guarding the "kitty cookies". The door out
              to my garage is metal, so I put the cat door into a wall.
              My two cats have full run of a dogless 2 car garage anytime
              they want.
              Marcia
            • HOLIKI@aol.com
              Message 6 of 10 , May 10, 2001
                In a message dated 5/9/2001 3:04:33 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
                ashleya@... writes:

                We're also having a heck of a
                time keeping her out of the litter box and have very few options as
                to where to put it.

                Buy one of the mats that are supposed to keep the litter from tracking all
                over the house. It's the mats that looks like grass.(I got mine at PetSmart)
                Comes in several colors.  My Whippet does not like the feel of that plastic
                grass under her feet. Also-I turn the litter box opening toward the wall. The
                cats can get in and out with ease but the dogs cannot reach around there (of
                course, this only works if you have a covered litter box).
                As for the Whippet and cat's situation.  It will just take time. I got my Zoe
                when she was 14 weeks old. She is now 3 yrs old and still chases the cats if
                they run. If they are just sitting or sleeping she couldn't care less about
                them.  I started shooting her with a water gun every time she ran after the
                cats--it helped some.  The cats will eventually get used to her and ignore
                her.  They will all become harmonious one day...
                ViAnn
              • Donna Lane
                Message 7 of 10 , May 10, 2001
                  I suggest that you do not just wait for the whippet and cats to work things out.  The cats can be extremely stressed, and may quit using their litter box, start spraying urine in the house, lose weight, etc.  The cats need a safe place where the dog cannot get to them and the dog needs to learn not to chase the cats.

                  If you are good at training dogs, you can try training her not to respond to the running cats (clicker method or whatever).  This is a good idea.  However, it is VERY hard for dogs (especially whippets) to ignore a running animal, and only works while you are home and supervising.

                  I suggest caging the cats (or locking them in a room not accessable to the whippet) so that the cats cannot be chased when you are not in a position to control your whippet puppy.

                  If you put them in a separate room rather than using a cage, the animals will not be getting used to each other when separated.  In that case, it would also be helpfull to let the cats out when you are home and can put your whippet on a leash tied to your belt.  If you allow the dog and cats unsupervised interaction where chasing and fear happen, it will be VERY hard on the cats and may create additional problems.

                  I know that the whippet pup intends no harm, but cats who are not used to dogs just don't see it that way.

                  Message 8 of 10 , May 10, 2001
                    Marcia,
                    Yes, I sure have....and believe it or not I
                    completely forgot about it (must be some menopausal
                    memory loss thing). Actually, we were seriously
                    considering moving to another state awhile back and I
                    didn't want to mess up the door. Since we're staying
                    put after all, I'll put one in. Thanks for reminding
                    me, duh!!

                    :) Jael

                    http://auctions.yahoo.com/
                  • CCSvilink@aol.com
                    Message 9 of 10 , May 10, 2001
                      We have a whippet and two cats but we also have a litter box that we bought
                      at a cat show that is great.  It's  called the Purrfect Privy (I think I am
                      spelling this right but there is a web sight and it should be close in
                      spelling.)  It was sold by a very nice old couple and I wish them every
                      success in the world, they were so nice.  It is an enclosed litter box that
                      solves many problems:  dogs are blocked off; there is no tracking out of
                      litter; no embarassing litter box on view if it has to be placed in the
                      bathroom or kitchen as ours had to be; and the cats have total privacy. We
                      had no good place to put our litter box but in a corner of the kitchen and
                      this made it look like a piece of furniture instead of an eyesore.  And when
                      we added a whippet to the household, there was no question of raiding the
                      litterbox because it was all enclosed. Another plus was that we placed the
                      cats' food and water on top of the Purrfect Privy and it was just our of
                      reach of the whippet. It's a great product.