Re: Cutting board advice

  • chef
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 1, 2003
      Since I spent a lot of time studing culinary history for my classes and
      research for my book, I did a lot of looking and talking to old people.
      Wooden chopping blocks were used long before plastic was ever though of,
      some 35,000 years before.
      The wood used was dependant on the area of the world in which we are talking
      about.

      Anyway the wood blocks, or cutting boards were cleaned with a mixture of
      boiling hot water, and or wine, even beer was used in Eygpt.

      Good hardwoord cutting boards can be easier on knives than some plasctics,
      but since wood is organic living things can live in the cracks if not well
      cared for (i.e. cleaned). But I have also seen mold and mildew live on
      plastic.

      My advise is to use what ever you are comfortable with, I don't think that
      you want one of those large old butcher block type that I like so well, they
      take up a lot of space in your kitchen.