new member

  • adaline_b
    Message 1 of 9 , Feb 10, 2005
      hi,
      we have a yurt kit we bought from blue evening star. she wrote a
      book on how to build your own yurt. she and her husband have a co.
      in sedona , az selling yurts and teepees diy and pre-made. they have
      window kits which are very easy to sew. i'll see if i can find the
      book and info. if i remember correctly our kit cost around $2,700.00
      for a 27' yurt. i'm looking to buy a couple of wood pieces for our
      yurt. i'll get back with the tech. names of what i need.
      adaline
    • Crappiefisher
      Message 2 of 9 , Mar 16, 2005
        howdy ya'll!
        i'm so glad to find this board! i was on other boards this past
        summer and they weren't active. this one seems active! yeah!
        my dh and i have purchased a 16 foot yurt from Spirit Mountain Yurts
        our of Arizona (www.spiritmountainyurts.com). Reasonable priced and
        came highly recommended by a person who used Nalina's (owner) yurts
        for a bed and breakfast down in Georgia. We haven't set it up yet.
        The yurt is still in the boxes in our garage!!! We own a very little
        piece of property in KY on a lake. Since the property is so small we
        aren't allowed to place a real cabin on it....in other words...no
        plumbing. my dh has always been fascinated by yurts, so we thought
        that this would be the way to go! we are sooo excited. As soon as
        the weather lets up (which will be very soon!!!) we will begin on
        the deck. our plan is to have the yurt set up by May.

        I'm looking forward to learning about yurts, heating yurts,
        dehumidifying yurts, pest-proofing yurts, and anything yurt related!!

        denise
      • chenierrfc
        Message 3 of 9 , Dec 12, 2007
          I recently joined this group with plans of putting in a yurt kit on
          land in upstate NY.
          I have lots of questions but one I can seem to find an answer on is the
          windows. I can't help thinking the windows will be a real pain to
          maintain and keep clear. I am going to get the extra insulation kit
          and wonder where the extra cover lies---inside or out?
          Are there any 15+ year old yurt kit owners (no affiliation but for now
          I will be buying from Pacific Yurt) out there. I would be curious to
          hear their experiences.
          thanks,
          rita
        • Kenneth

            Message 5 of 9 , Feb 25, 2009
              Thanks for accepting my request.  Look forward to learning from the experiences of the group.
              Peace,
              Sherrie

            • e ginden
              Message 6 of 9 , Feb 25, 2009
                Nice to see a new name in the posts? So how is it your interested in yurts?

                Thanks for accepting my request.  Look forward to learning from the experiences of the group.
                Peace,
                Sherrie

              • Sherrie White-Mayfield
                Message 7 of 9 , Mar 2, 2009
                  --- In The_Yurt_Community@yahoogroups.com, e ginden <eginden2@...>
                  wrote:

                  > Nice to see a new name in the posts? So how is it your interested
                  in yurts?

                  or early June(if all goes as planned). So i'm researching and
                  trying to learn all I can. I'm really interested in purchasing from
                  Shelter Designs in Montana. Any feedback?

                  > Thanks for accepting my request.  Look forward to learning from the
                  experiences of the group.
                  > Peace,
                  > Sherrie

                • Kenneth
                  Message 8 of 9 , Mar 3, 2009
                    Group rules are we can't say a company is good or bad, this is about yurt living not who sells the best yurt.  (Why did I ever make that rule? oh yea spammers)...LOL  My boss is always on me to promote our yurts..lol I keep telling him I can't.  We don't even contact off line unless asked.

                    I have been doing yurt for 20 years, I haven't heard of this company until today.  So it's either really new or very small and under the radar.  Nothing wrong with that, just info.

                    But I can tell you a few guild lines.  (mostly for american buyers)

                    1) Ask for more photos

                    2) do they have insurace, if so ask for a copy covering the yurt.  IF they don't have Insurance what will you do?  Also ask if they can do a construction bond.  I know this is for big projects, but if they can't that a sign how long they have been doing this and how good their insurance is.  IF they ask what is that, then it shows their experince.

                    3) how long they have been in business, there has been a lot of people try to make a go at selling yurts, few last more than 2 year or more.

                    4) ask if you can come see their factory (even if it's to far).  IF they say no, then run

                    5) Tell them you won't be buying for a year or more, see how fast they get you off the phone.  Everyone makes a good yurt, but things happen, those who just try to get you off the phone just want your money.

                    6) ask for a set of "site" plans, If they don't have one, then it will mean you will have to pay someone to draw up a set if needed.  This alone could be over a $1000.00 or MORE.

                    7) Letter with engineer stamp to the snow/wind load of the yurt.  IF you can't get this, then it will be very hard to get a permit if needed.  Now most companies wont' send this until the yurt is sold, but that is only because it costs about $8000.00 to have a yurt cert. IF they say can most can.  Many will send it after deposit is made.

                    8) what is the warranty, not just on the roof but the whole yurt.

                    9) really press them on the "eco" part.  Anything using buzz words for "green movement" should be looked at.  Is it more green to use something that will need replaced in 5 years or 15?  Is the lumber forest or harvest?  Some time some companies will give up strenght for "green"  DO you really care about some the "green"?

                    A good 19oz vinyl has about a 90/70 rip strenght, the BEST Poly or Arcylic is about 50/40 most 40/30, 8/10oz canvas (standard used for tents) about the same.  So is it better for you,  to have strenght and will last or "green" that is going to need replaced in 5 years or so?

                    Also remember, LOL "green" costs more, so is the increase in price, worth what you are spending for it?

                    I have a saying, there is green and there is "smart" green.  Smart green is something that has little impact on the earth but lasts a long time.

                    10)  Ask a LOT of questions, The more information you get before you buy the better your choice will be.

                    ken

                    > Nice to see a new name in the posts? So how is it your interested
                    in yurts?

                  • e ginden
                    Message 9 of 9 , Mar 3, 2009
                      I suppose someone could send her their exsperiences and opinions off list?