Sandpoint

  • mchlflngn
    Message 1 of 16 , Dec 1, 2006
      becky,

      Last evening I saw a poster saying you'd be giving a presentation in
      Sandpoint - saw it at about 7, right about the time of your
      presentation, I think. Dang, I wish we could have made it. But saw it
      too late. sigh. Will you be heading down our way any time soon to
      make a presentation? Or any other reason? We live in Hayden, just
      north of CDA.

      Went out and bought your book, by the way. Had checked it out from the
      library, and decided we just HAD to have it! :) I hope it sells like
      mad, and look forward to the second edition! :)

      I'm interested in hearing from or talking to anyone who has built a
      yurt - any kind - or planning to do so any time soon. Our plans are
      still to put up a soft-shell lattice-wall yurt, and maybe a year or
      two later put up a wooden frame-panel yurt. The Oregon Yurtworks kits
      seem especially attractive to our eyes, at the moment. We heard of
      someone near TumTum, WA - near where our property is located - who
      built a wooded frame-panel yurt. Have not seen it, but hope to soon.

      We spent much of the spring, summer, and fall out working on our land,
      pruning and doing some thinning, and piling slash... did some burning
      this fall. We have been sketching out variations on floor plans,
      talking about sizes and configurations, and a whole host of
      homebuilding/homesteading issues. Fun! :)

      All the best to you,

      Mike
    • Leather Work
      Message 2 of 16 , Dec 1, 2006

        If your planning on building your own yurt.. like I am.. a couple of em.  Been researching for a couple months.

        By far for online resources… the Yurt Calculator… go here  http://housing.byrene.com/Yurt_Notes?page=1#Yurt%20Calculator

        That program is the page I have returned to time and time again for doing the figuring on the two different sizes I want to build.

        Well oops… You want a stick built custom home … or a yurt?  I guess the definition of a yurt to me is inevitably portable.  Looks like Oregon Yurtworks is a custom round house builder.

        So what is the definition of a yurt?

        Charles

        scaka Lazarus

        Mount Vernon WA

        See some of my work here.

        From: The_Yurt_Community@yahoogroups.com [mailto:The_Yurt_Community@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of mchlflngn
        SNIP

      • couture_x
        Message 3 of 16 , Dec 4, 2006
          Hi Mike,

          We are in the process of raising the last of our three Pacific Yurts.
          The project web site is at http://www.yippee.cc/ and there is a
          document that includes our floor-plans and some of the other
          construction aspects we had to consider (off-grid power, heat, etc).
          Tons of pics too, though we've been rushing to get the last yurt
          raised and the site pics are only as current as september (with some
          sizeable gaps from a year ago <sigh>). Anyway, peruse away and ask
          anything that comes to mind.

          Chris

          --- In The_Yurt_Community@yahoogroups.com, "mchlflngn" <mchlflngn@...>
          wrote:
          ...I'm interested in hearing from or talking to anyone who has built a
          yurt - any kind - or planning to do so any time soon....
        • Timothy Dawes

            Message 5 of 16 , Dec 5, 2006
              we have had the same problem and although do not live in our yurt, it
              is a problem when camping in the winter. What we've done is extend the
              aluminum bubble wrap type insulation down past the roof and overlap
              with the interior insulation. this has helped a lot. we are still
              grappling with the gaps over the door...we created a little cubby in
              front of the door to prevent further water damage to our door. this has
              helped but we had to raise the roof material over the cubby roof and
              this has created some gaps. i placed some insulation foam in the space
              this past weekend and this has helped.
            • couture_x
              Message 6 of 16 , Dec 5, 2006
                Hi Tim,

                We've had our 14' yurt for three years now, and have had no problems
                with wind. The 30' yurt that went up in September went through a
                couple of wind storms that were ripping tarps up off of some other
                constructions - just tearing the tarps apart. Yurt didn't budge, top
                cover was fine. We have heavy duty top covers on all three yurts, and
                "snow & wind kit" supports under each rafter (in other words, a 2x4
                screwed into the rafter, the floor, and the lattice, under each
                rafter). Not had the problem you describe. Perhaps the structure we
                have helps keep the ropes on the top cover nice and tight.

                Cheers

                --- In The_Yurt_Community@yahoogroups.com, Timothy Dawes

                Message 7 of 16 , Dec 5, 2006
                  > Perhaps the structure we have helps keep the ropes on the top cover
                  nice and tight.

                  I think that the problem of wind coming in is based on the manufacturer
                  of the Yurt. Ours was made by a small company that creates a looser
                  roof. I've noticed that Pacific Yurts, Colorado and Raneir Yurts have
                  tighter fitting yurts. I also learned that Great American uses a
                  tighter fitting yurt roof as well.
                • Kenneth
                  Message 8 of 16 , Dec 5, 2006
                    Wind getting inside the yurt has more to do with how you seal the edges than how tight the roof fits.

                    On a real Ger, the walls are pulled about 12 inches above the rafter break, then the roof is 12/16 inches below the break and then a band pulled REALLY tight to seal the joint.

                    At the middle and bottom of the wall there are bands, again pulled really tight to seal it at the base. This gives you an air tight seal with little wind enter the yurt.

                    On commerical yurt, both wall and roof are tight but this is more for looks, depending on the company there are many way to seal the roof to the walls, walls to deck.

                    Ours is a 3 step approach.  first the walls are sandwitched between a wind stop flap and the outside weather flap.  This traps the air before entering the yurt.  added to this we put velcro the whole diameter of the yurt, this creates a seal to prevent wind from getting in.  Then the outer weather flap is super tight, so when pulled down giving more wind stop. This gives max strenght and wind stop power at the roof/wall line.

                    For the base you simply pull the walls down and under the deck.  This locks the whole cover down and make it almost impossible for wind to get in at the base.  Now this only works on T & G or plywood decks.  If you used deckboards, airs will flow under and up causing a "ballooning" effect.

                    I have seen baggie covers, flap durning wind, but not "balloon" up and I have seen custom yurts "balloon" because they werent' sealed right.  To keep wind out you have to take and setup the yurt right, no matter who built it.  Even with a baggie cover you can keep the wind out.  Just look at the problem and see where the air is coming in at.

                    Remember the beauty of yurt/gers, and give the problems a kiss, Keep it stupidly simple.  You don't have to rebuild if can fix.

                    ken

                    Crappiefisher <crappiefishergirl@...> wrote:
                    > Perhaps the structure we have helps keep the ropes on the top cover
                    nice and tight.

                    I think that the problem of wind coming in is based on the manufacturer
                    of the Yurt. Ours was made by a small company that creates a looser
                    roof. I've noticed that Pacific Yurts, Colorado and Raneir Yurts have
                    tighter fitting yurts. I also learned that Great American uses a
                    tighter fitting yurt roof as well.

                    http://mail.yahoo.com

                  • Chris Fuhr

                      Message 10 of 16 , Dec 6, 2006
                        well, we bought out yurt from a small, woman owned company. there is a
                        link in the Links section. but i'll see if I put a photo in the Photos
                        section for you.
                      • Chris Fuhr
                        Message 11 of 16 , Dec 6, 2006
                          thank you this is begining to sound like just a little more material  around the edge would make all the differance.  Im not saying that the post about the ballooning is in any way at all incorrect quite the oppiste.  But if air getting under the yurt is helping this problem manafest then two fixes would add more insuance that when you return your yurt is going to be just the way you want it.

                          Seperatly a major yurt manufacture suggests that you chemmically bond the roof too the side walls.  I think the idea crosses the line of a yurt needs to be able to adapt, plus if you trade up your property I don't think theres will survive the move as well as one that isn't glued roof to walls.  I favor anything like velcrow that if I take the thing down and put it up somewhere else I can put the roof where it needs to be not trying to put it exactly where it was before.

                          Message 12 of 16 , Dec 6, 2006
                            now see I thought I knew everything about yurts, I didn't know that a company out there was telling you to bond the two pieces together. Learn something new every day.

                            Here is another thing you can try.  Boat shrink wrap.  You can buy enough for a 30 foot yurt with the heat gun for about $800.00.

                            you simply put the plastic over the frame and shrink it down.  YES I KNOW it sounds silly.  WE have a group that wants to rent 12  12 foot yurts for only 2 weeks.  WE can make the frames no problem or cost.  But to cover then would make it where we would be unable to donate them for free.   The tests on the shrink wrap has been good.

                            Only 3 things is a problem;
                                1) anything with a sharp edge has to be padded.
                                2) shrinking to much to fast and putting holes in it.
                                3) The time it takes to shrink one.  (about a hour to do it right)

                            why all this?  put this on first then the cover you have, wind not a problem.  :)

                            ken

                            Message 13 of 16 , Dec 6, 2006
                              here in the Northwest they use that stuff for the weirdest reasons around the boat yard.  What about covering the edge of the roof if your leaving for a while.

                              As for the group how about finding some city construction The Seattle lybary did there floor and the fire marshal made them use the fire resitatnt plastic for a cover over the drying floor (Bent PVC frame big blowers etc...) they allmost paid me gas money to take the plasitc stuff off there hands and it would have made a fine temporary cover for six months while I save up for a more permainent cover.  Keep in contact with construction companies they get rid of a lot after a job.

                              O yea you can see it in there instruction manual several photo's on how to properly PVC glue your 15 year garenteed expencive cover roof to the walls.  I shuddered.

                              well, we bought out yurt from a small, woman owned company. there is a
                              link in the Links section. but i'll see if I put a photo in the Photos
                              section for you.

                            • Michael Flanagan

                                Message 15 of 16 , Dec 7, 2006

                                  What soup!!!!! Hmmm… and you would bring what kind?

                                  Charles

                                  scaka Lazarus

                                  Mount Vernon WA

                                  See some of my work here.

                                  PS.. though I am only still working in planning stages.  Wont be long before I start ripping some 2x2s

                                  Message 16 of 16 , Dec 11, 2006
                                    I just reread your post and looking for a good photo...but i'm sure
                                    it's a design issue. my husband is new at this construction stuff. LOL!
                                    the door entry does keep water from the front door and has
                                    reduced/eliminated the water problem we were having...now that dang air
                                    hole!

                                    i'll post a pic when i find one.