New

  • k_sisler
    Message 1 of 14 , May 2, 2005
      Hello,
      We live in the Pacific Northwest in a Yurt my husband built last
      summer. It is 27 feet in diameter and about 8 and half feet tall with
      a loft for the kids.

      Anyway, here I am :)

      Kayte
    • yurtlife
      Message 2 of 14 , May 2, 2005
        Hi Kayte,
        Welcome to the group!

        Did your husband build your yurt from scratch? Or use a kit?

        We've lived in a 30 foot yurt made by Pacific Yurts for going on six
        years. There are some on this list who are in process of building
        from kits and from scratch.

        Look forward to chatting with you in this group.

        Debbie.

        --- In The_Yurt_Community@yahoogroups.com, "k_sisler" <kayte@m...>
        wrote:
        > Hello,
        > We live in the Pacific Northwest in a Yurt my husband built last
        > summer. It is 27 feet in diameter and about 8 and half feet tall
        with
        > a loft for the kids.
        >
        > Anyway, here I am :)
        >
        > Kayte
      • k_sisler
        Message 3 of 14 , May 2, 2005
          Yes, he built it from scratch. We bought the dome from a place in
          colorado...I think it was Colorado Yurts.

          We had a terrible time with leaking and mold but finally figured
          that one out...I hope :) So this summer we'll try to clean up the
          liner from all the mold...bleach or something.

          Anyone else have that problem??? and Sugar Ants are always
          around...it's just like glorified camping.

          How many are in your yurt? We have 3 kids 5 and under plus the two
          of us.

          Kayte

          > Did your husband build your yurt from scratch? Or use a kit?
          >
          > We've lived in a 30 foot yurt made by Pacific Yurts for going on
          six
          > years. There are some on this list who are in process of building
          > from kits and from scratch.
          >
          > Look forward to chatting with you in this group.
          >
          > Debbie.
          >
          > --- In The_Yurt_Community@yahoogroups.com, "k_sisler" <kayte@m...>
          > wrote:
          > > Hello,
          > > We live in the Pacific Northwest in a Yurt my husband built last
          > > summer. It is 27 feet in diameter and about 8 and half feet
          tall
          > with
          > > a loft for the kids.
          > >
          > > Anyway, here I am :)
          > >
          > > Kayte
        • k_sisler
          Message 4 of 14 , May 2, 2005
            Yes, he built it from scratch. We bought the dome from a place in
            colorado...I think it was Colorado Yurts.

            We had a terrible time with leaking and mold but finally figured
            that one out...I hope :) So this summer we'll try to clean up the
            liner from all the mold...bleach or something.

            Anyone else have that problem??? and Sugar Ants are always
            around...it's just like glorified camping.

            How many are in your yurt? We have 3 kids 5 and under plus the two
            of us.

            Kayte

            > Did your husband build your yurt from scratch? Or use a kit?
            >
            > We've lived in a 30 foot yurt made by Pacific Yurts for going on
            six
            > years. There are some on this list who are in process of building
            > from kits and from scratch.
            >
            > Look forward to chatting with you in this group.
            >
            > Debbie.
            >
            > --- In The_Yurt_Community@yahoogroups.com, "k_sisler" <kayte@m...>
            > wrote:
            > > Hello,
            > > We live in the Pacific Northwest in a Yurt my husband built last
            > > summer. It is 27 feet in diameter and about 8 and half feet
            tall
            > with
            > > a loft for the kids.
            > >
            > > Anyway, here I am :)
            > >
            > > Kayte
          • Crappiefisher
            Message 5 of 14 , May 3, 2005
              so how do you control the mold? this is my greatest concern.
            • Crappiefisher
              Message 6 of 14 , May 3, 2005
                I would love to see pics of your yurt!
              • Danielle
                Message 7 of 14 , May 3, 2005
                  Hi!  Welcome Kayte!!

                  My husband and I have 40 undeveloped acres in the Del Puerto Canyon in California.  We have erected a 16 foot East Coast Camping yurt and will begin the deck and compost toilet soon.  We are hoping to build a 30 foot with more luxuries in the next few years.  Glad to have you here sharing your experience!

                  Danielle

                  When our eyes see our hands doing the work of our hearts, the circle of
                  creation is completed,
                  Inside us, the doors of our souls fly open and love steps forth to heal
                  everything in sight."
                  -Michael Bridge

                  Do you want to foster or adopt a Border Collie?
                  http://bcrescue.dogsaver.org/

                  Message 8 of 14 , May 3, 2005
                    Welcome! I'd love to see photos of your loft, as this is our next project. Will

                      Message 10 of 14 , May 4, 2005
                        --- In The_Yurt_Community@yahoogroups.com, "yurtlife"
                        <yurtlife@y...> wrote:
                        > Wow, I am really impressed by those of you have built from
                        scratch.
                        > We had our hands full building from a kit. Although the deck was
                        > certainly the biggest part of the job. We would like to think of
                        > attaching a second yurt and at this point could not afford another
                        > kit yurt. So we have considered building from scratch. You all
                        have
                        > inspired me!

                        that's what we are learning right now...the yurt was affordable, but
                        the deck is putting us over budget! I'd like to hear from others
                        with regard to what they used for the subfloor. We used the deck
                        plans from either Colorado or Pacific yurts...meaning that the
                        joists are 4 feet apart. Spirit Mountain has just suggested using a
                        deck plan that requires joists at 2feet apart! YIKES! so we are
                        struggling over the use of 2X6's or 4X8 plywood.

                        anyw suggestions?
                      • yurtlife
                        Message 11 of 14 , May 4, 2005
                          We used 2x6 tongue and groove pine decking and that's it. We had
                          planned on finishing it with stain and varnish, but we urgently
                          needed to move in and ended up leaving the boards unfinished. I wish
                          we had been able to stain the boards, but they have served us well
                          and look good.

                          I will say that we should have taken the suggestion given to us by
                          Pacific Yurts and flipped the boards upside down. We didn't because
                          the bottoms were not finished (sanded) and we did not want to take
                          the time to do it ourselves or pay extra to have the mill do it. In
                          retrospect, it was a bad choice. The grooves really catch the dirt
                          *duh*.

                          All in all though I am happy with our flooring.

                          Debbie.

                          --- In The_Yurt_Community@yahoogroups.com, "Crappiefisher"
                          <crappiefishergirl@y...> wrote:
                          > --- In The_Yurt_Community@yahoogroups.com, "yurtlife"
                          > <yurtlife@y...> wrote:
                          > > Wow, I am really impressed by those of you have built from
                          > scratch.
                          > > We had our hands full building from a kit. Although the deck was
                          > > certainly the biggest part of the job. We would like to think of
                          > > attaching a second yurt and at this point could not afford
                          another
                          > > kit yurt. So we have considered building from scratch. You all
                          > have
                          > > inspired me!
                          >

                          > that's what we are learning right now...the yurt was affordable,
                          but
                          > the deck is putting us over budget! I'd like to hear from others
                          > with regard to what they used for the subfloor. We used the deck
                          > plans from either Colorado or Pacific yurts...meaning that the
                          > joists are 4 feet apart. Spirit Mountain has just suggested using
                          > deck plan that requires joists at 2feet apart! YIKES! so we are
                          > struggling over the use of 2X6's or 4X8 plywood.
                          >
                          > anyw suggestions?
                        • Crappiefisher
                          Message 12 of 14 , May 5, 2005
                            thanks! that was great! dh decided last nite to go with the 2X6 T&G
                            and has found a lumber yard that will provide us the supplies that
                            will be JUST under budget. the turning of the boards upside down is a
                            great suggestion. I'll pass it on to dh. we don't have an urgency to
                            move in other than our own urgency to get this done so that we can
                            enjoy it! i have some carpet remnants that i have gotten for free
                            that need a good cleaning and some edge work done, i plan to use those
                            until we decide on what to do with the floor. we are thinking of
                            covering with a vinyl tile for easy cleaning although we love the look
                            and feel of wood.
                          • k_sisler
                            Message 13 of 14 , May 5, 2005
                              > Do you and your family live in the yurt year around? We do, and
                              love
                              > it. Even in the -50 degree weather we had last winter.

                              Yes, it is our only residence.

                              > We also have a sleeping loft. It is is over about 1/3 of the yurt
                              > with a bathroom as well as another "room" underneath. I've used
                              that
                              > room for my office, and then as a nursery, but as it turns out my
                              > daughter sleeps in the loft with us.
                              >
                              > We have not had trouble with leaking or mold so I can't speak to
                              > that. We do have a lot of air pockets, so when the wind blows,
                              that
                              > covers really flap.
                              >
                              > I find the biggest challenge is to live leanly enough. We get to
                              the
                              > point that we have way too much stuff. We are going through a
                              spring
                              > cleaning now, because we would like to use our space instead of
                              > our "stuff" using it. :-)

                              Yes, we are going through the same thing...yard sale this month!