Re: Yurt #2 is Raised and Intro -Virag

  • jecaam28
    Message 1 of 25 , Oct 1, 2006
      hi all,

      I'm Jenn. My husband and I are looking for property and are
      considering a yurt as a housing option since we can't seem to find
      or afford what we were looking for originally. The more I think
      about it the more I like the idea. So I've been reading all I can on
      the internet about them and found this group hoping to gleen as much
      information as possible from experienced yurt dwellers! Our whole
      family is excited about the prospect.

      I am very interested to find out what county it was in SC that
      approved a yurt. I am in SC. I have heard rumors that there is a
      yurt one county over. I have read that it is sometimes hard to get
      approval for it to be used as year round living quarters since it
      doesn't typically meet building codes and other times it is just the
      opposite for that same reason.

      thanks for having me,
      Jenn

      --- In The_Yurt_Community@yahoogroups.com, "L. Matthews"
      <alyssaceleste@...> wrote:

      > Hi Rob, do your gers have the ability to have multiple doors? I
      know
      > in SC the county that did permit a yurt insisted on 2 doors to
      meet
      > firecodes. Hope that helps, Virag
      >

      > --- In The_Yurt_Community@yahoogroups.com, "Rob Mattthews" <Rob@>
      > wrote:
      > >
      > > Hi Chris,
      > >
      > > Thanks for this.
      > >
      > > Do you think you would have seriously considered a real ger if
      you had
      > > access to information and an outlet close by? Or do you feel
      that the
      > modern
      > > ger is more appropriate to the US taste?
      > >
      > > I am asking as I toying with the idea of doing some work in the
      > states and I
      > > wonder how the work I do and like would be appreciated in the US.
      > >
      > > Rob

    • L. Matthews
      Message 2 of 25 , Oct 4, 2006
        Hi Jenn, The yurt in SC is in Pickens Co. off Hwy 183. The owner is
        a really nice fellow who lives in it year round (or did about 3
        years ago). I have his contact info if you want to email me
        privately. It is a Pacific Yurt, 24ft diameter on a wooden
        platform. We were in it on a windy day about 33 degrees outside and
        it was nice and warm. He had heat and ac although ac seems to be
        the weakness of yurts in SC:>. The county made him sink the
        platform in concrete and gave it a tax value of around $30,000. He
        was living in it with plans to someday build a loghome. Are you in
        Greenville Co by any chance? We're moving out of that area right
        now and wish we could do a full time yurt:>. Also, I know that in
        the Asheville and Blackmountain areas there are yurts being lived in
        full time but I"m not sure what their permit status is. There is a
        commune type place called Earthhaven and one of the two other
        communes beside it had yurts. Good luck to you, V

        --- In The_Yurt_Community@yahoogroups.com, "jecaam28" <jecaam28@...>