Making An Alachigh - A Yurt Precursor

  • T. Finkas
    Message 1 of 18 , Sep 1, 2006
      I wanted a yurt for a very long time. Now since "everybody" has one
      <laugh> I began to look for something similar but unique. After a
      little websurfing I ran across a tent called an "Alachigh". It's a
      dome-shaped tent built rather like only the top of a yurt. It is
      from Northern Iran and reputed to be a precursor of the yurt.

      A pre-yurt structure would seem tailor made for me. I am trying to
      suit an historical personna of 400 BCE from that region, a Scythian.
      If the Scythians used tents or not is tough to tell. Herodotus tells
      us they lived in wagons, and clay miniatures of wagons from that
      time and place resemble wagons with tents on them. While I am not
      crazy about the idea of making a wagon large enough to camp in, a
      unique tent that the Scythians "could have had" does hold some
      appeal for me.

      I am currently having Panther Primiatives quote me a canvas cover in
      a standard Sunforger treated 10 oz canvas. Dimensions will be a
      fairly hemispheric dome of 18' diameter x 7' 8" to the round roof
      opening. You can see a few photos of one at Albion Canvas Co's
      website under Tents of the Nomads.

      I'll keep the group posted of my progress. If I can source the
      canvas cover, m next step will be figuring out how to make or
      procure the rafters and making the roof ring. I'll want to pisk your
      collective brains when it comes to that! <laugh>

      Cheers,
      Tim
    • L. Matthews
      Message 2 of 18 , Sep 1, 2006
        I had a chance to discuss alachighs with an Iranian friend last
        week. It looks like the steambending of the poles is the hardest
        part. I've been approaching the creation of one by learning how to
        felt and looking for info on steambending. Please do post info you
        get:>. Thanks, Virag
        --- In The_Yurt_Community@yahoogroups.com, "T. Finkas" <finkas@...>
        wrote:

        > I wanted a yurt for a very long time. Now since "everybody" has
        one
        > <laugh> I began to look for something similar but unique. After a
        > little websurfing I ran across a tent called an "Alachigh". It's a
        > dome-shaped tent built rather like only the top of a yurt. It is
        > from Northern Iran and reputed to be a precursor of the yurt.
        >
        > A pre-yurt structure would seem tailor made for me. I am trying to
        > suit an historical personna of 400 BCE from that region, a
        Scythian.
        > If the Scythians used tents or not is tough to tell. Herodotus
        tells
        > us they lived in wagons, and clay miniatures of wagons from that
        > time and place resemble wagons with tents on them. While I am not
        > crazy about the idea of making a wagon large enough to camp in, a
        > unique tent that the Scythians "could have had" does hold some
        > appeal for me.
        >
        > I am currently having Panther Primiatives quote me a canvas cover
        in
        > a standard Sunforger treated 10 oz canvas. Dimensions will be a
        > fairly hemispheric dome of 18' diameter x 7' 8" to the round roof
        > opening. You can see a few photos of one at Albion Canvas Co's
        > website under Tents of the Nomads.
        >
        > I'll keep the group posted of my progress. If I can source the
        > canvas cover, m next step will be figuring out how to make or
        > procure the rafters and making the roof ring. I'll want to pisk
        your
        > collective brains when it comes to that! <laugh>
        >
        > Cheers,
        > Tim

      • Rob Mattthews
        Message 3 of 18 , Sep 2, 2006

          Hi

          I had someone contact me who wanted to sell her hand made felted alachiqh.  If you are interested in speaking to her I can pass on your details.

          We too will make them this coming year. We have been preparing and researching and feel we are ready to begin. I have read the literature and there isn’t a great deal apart from Andrews wonderful thesis (tents of the middle east)  and Torvald Faegre also mentions them in his book.

          As soon as time permits we will begin. We plan to offer them with felt & canvas with inner cotton liner.   Perhaps we will decorate the outer cover also like the originals. As soon as we have made one I will post some photos.

          If you want something “similar but unique” than the ger – although few have an authentic ger  – get hold of these books and you will find many examples of unfamiliar tents.

          Rob

          wrote:

          > I wanted a yurt for a very long time. Now since "everybody" has
          one
          > <laugh> I began to look for something similar but unique. After a
          > little websurfing I ran across a tent called an "Alachigh". It's
          > dome-shaped tent built rather like only the top of a yurt. It is
          > from Northern Iran and reputed to be a
          precursor of the yurt.

          > A pre-yurt structure would seem tailor made for me. I am trying to
          > suit an historical personna of 400 BCE from that region, a
          Scythian.
          > If the Scythians used tents or not is tough to tell. Herodotus
          tells
          > us they lived in wagons, and clay miniatures of wagons from that
          > time and place resemble wagons with tents on them. While I am not
          > crazy about the idea of making a wagon large enough to camp in, a
          > unique tent that the Scythians "could have had" does hold some
          > appeal for me.
          >
          > I am currently having Panther Primiatives quote me a canvas cover
          in
          > a standard Sunforger treated 10 oz canvas. Dimensions will be a
          > fairly hemispheric dome of 18' diameter x 7' 8" to the round roof
          > opening. You can see a few photos of one at Albion Canvas Co's
          > website under Tents of the Nomads.
          >
          > I'll keep the group posted of my progress. If I can source the
          > canvas cover, m next step will be figuring out how to make or
          > procure the rafters and making the roof ring. I'll want to pisk
          your
          > collective brains when it comes to that! <laugh>
          >
          > Cheers,
          > Tim

        • becky
          Message 4 of 18 , Sep 7, 2006
            Hello Martin,
            Three sets of tapered wall (wooden) yurt plans are available from
            Bill Coperthwaite. Send a check or money order and a note stating
            which plans you'd like, to:
            Bill Coperthwaite
            The Yurt Foundation
            Dickinson's Reach
            Machiasport, ME 04655

            Plan costs are:
            $25 for "The Little Yurt". These plans include three dimensions:
            Tiny (10' diam), Little (12' diam) and Standard (17' diam),

            $50 for "The Concentric Yurt" (36' diam, 1,000 square feet),

            $75 for "The Family Yurt" (54' diam., 2700 square feet).

            This information is also available under "Build a Yurt" at
            www.yurtinfo.org. Hope it's what you needed.

            Many of you on this thread would probably enjoy Bill Coperthwaite's
            beautiful and inspiring book, "A Handmade Life" (Chelsea Green
            Publishing).

            Good luck with your yurt,

            becky kemery
            Author of "YURTS:Living in the Round"
            www.yurtinfo.org

            --- In The_Yurt_Community@yahoogroups.com, "martin304919"
            <martin.feaviour@...> wrote:

            HI
            > Does anyone know the current prices for the yurt plans from The
            yurt
            > foundation?Also the address.
            > thanks in anticipation
            > martin

          • becky
            Message 5 of 18 , Sep 7, 2006
              Hi Folks,
              The Alachig is still used by nomadic Turkic herders, often in
              conjunction with the traditional Turkic yurt (with bentwood roof
              poles, called oy or uy) and bender tents. The Alachig has a unique
              raised center ring (or crown), a felted wool cover, and often
              includes reed skirting (when the felted cover is raised in hot
              weather to increase air circulatioon, the reed screen provides
              privacy and helps keep out dust and animals).

              The only western maker of the Alachig that I know of is Steve Place
              of Handmade Hardwood Yurts in Wales (see www.yurts.fsnet.co.uk).
              Steve seems to have mastered the Alachig crown and might be a great
              resource in your Alachig explorations, both regarding the crown and
              for his expertise in steam bending the poles. (For anyone interested
              in making the bentwood, Turkic-style yurt, Steve's plans are an
              excellent place to begin--see www.yurtinfo.org under "Build a Yurt"
              for the link.)

              Glad to see Rob Matthews is taking on the Alachig. Rob's yurts are
              beautiful (see www.YurtWorkshop.com) and I'm sure he will bring the
              same craftsmanship and artistry to building the Alachig--and will
              share his expertise along the way as well.

              Good luck with your project, Tim.