Well, after months and months and months of not popping up, I'm back.

  • Ranma
    Message 1 of 5 , Sep 1, 2012
      Finally finished off the lath walls, after a good year of problems keeping the yurt's walls from getting finished on my end.
      Lack of money, lack of power tools, lack of ability to get the lath boards cut from 2x4's... yeah. I'll post pictures in a while.
      I also managed to find someone to get a metal tono made for me (woohoo!) that should let me have an easier time attaching a skylight.
      Still, the drilling and wingnuts were a pain. If I might say, I think people might not want to follow Mongolian Cloud Houses as a guide for building a yurt.
      Just because of the 143 times I had to drill and put in wing nuts for each wall.

      Speaking of easier guides, ran into http://www.autonopedia.org/buildings_and_shelter/Build_A_Mongolian_Yurt.html today. I added it to the links page, thought it would help.
    • m lynn
      Message 2 of 5 , Sep 1, 2012
        I made my own lath from 2*4s also. its easier if you drill the holes first and then rip the boards. I used a rivet gun 5/8ths rivets and washers for my walls.  years later I have no problems with it. I've lived in yurts for about 7 years. the first was made with a satelite dish roof 4 4x4 uprights and 2 *8foot lath panels from lowes. the covering on the walls was a 6 wide piece of indoor outdoor carpet. worked fine through a winter and then built a 16 footer.

        Finally finished off the lath walls, after a good year of problems keeping the yurt's walls from getting finished on my end.
        Lack of money, lack of power tools, lack of ability to get the lath boards cut from 2x4's... yeah.  I'll post pictures in a while.
        I also managed to find someone to get a metal tono made for me (woohoo!) that should let me have an easier time attaching a skylight.
        Still, the drilling and wingnuts were a pain.  If I might say, I think people might not want to follow Mongolian Cloud Houses as a guide for building a yurt.
        Just because of the 143 times I had to drill and put in wing nuts for each wall.

        Speaking of easier guides, ran into http://www.autonopedia.org/buildings_and_shelter/Build_A_Mongolian_Yurt.html today.  I added it to the links page, thought it would help.

        <*> Your email settings:
            Individual Email | Traditional

        <*> To change settings online go to:
            (Yahoo! ID required)

        <*> To change settings via email:
            The_Yurt_Community-digest@yahoogroups.com
            The_Yurt_Community-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

            http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

      • Ranma
        Message 3 of 5 , Sep 3, 2012
          Mind giving more details? I'm curious. And how'd a sattelite dish even manage to work as the roof or roof ring?

          Message 4 of 5 , Sep 4, 2012
            The metal dish I had  was divided into 4 bolt together sections. It was a 10 foot dish. I put the the 4x4's in the ground and put a metal strap(like you would get for building decks)at the top. I made it so the strap was nailed to the 4x top with one of the legs of the bracket sticking up. I bolted the dish together thru a hole in the strap at each section. now you have created a kind of gazebo  a metal mesh dome roof on 4 uprights or pillars.   the lattice is nailed to the pillars and wrapped around to form the walls(khana) the mesh roof can be covered with pie shaped bubble foil taped together.  Insulate the sides as well.  then I used a 6 foot by 32 foot piece of indoor outdoor carpet for  the walls and a 12 foot square piece of plastic for the roof waterproofing and a pool cover as the outer roof skin.  If you like you can use the 4 by 4s to support a little deck to keep you of the ground.  It was only a temp thing for me but this would make a cheap playhouse for the kids. or a quick means of shelter.

            Hope that helps.

            Mind giving more details?  I'm curious.  And how'd a sattelite dish even manage to work as the roof or roof ring?

            --- In The_Yurt_Community@yahoogroups.com, m lynn <mlynns@...> wrote:

            > I made my own lath from 2*4s also. its easier if you drill the holes first and then rip the boards. I used a rivet gun 5/8ths rivets and washers for my walls.  years later I have no problems with it. I've lived in yurts for about 7 years. the first was made with a satelite dish roof 4 4x4 uprights and 2 *8foot lath panels from lowes. the covering on the walls was a 6 wide piece of indoor outdoor carpet. worked fine through a winter and then built a 16 footer.

          • Mikey
            Message 5 of 5 , Sep 5, 2012
              M Lynn,

              It would be nice if you have pics of that temporary yurt you could post for the group.

              Thnx, Mike in FL