Any Brand Better for Heavy Snow Load?

  • spitfire_05156
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 2, 2012
      Good Morning!

      I live in Vermont and have been studying up on different types of yurts and costs. My husband and I are looking to move back to a more northern area of Vermont and within easy distance to Lake Champlain.

      The yurt companies I've been looking at all offer snow load capabilities (at an additional cost, of course), but their terms are still Greek to me and I'm still not sure what the minimum standards would be for my area...and, unfortunately, there isn't anyone who I know of in the area who could provide me with the basics for my region.

      So, if there's any VT members out there, I'd love to pick your brain over the type of yurt you have and what's great and what you'd have done different if you'd have known then what you know now.

      And, if anyone could point me in the direction of some easy to understand information for someone like me who's new to yurts, I'd greatly appreciate it.

      Thanks!

      Pam
      VT
    • Kenneth
      Message 2 of 2 , Jul 2, 2012
        The 4 Major companies (PY, RY, CY, YoA) all have snow rating that should meet Vermont loads.  But here is the question to ask your local code efforcement officer.

        "what is the snow load (down load) needed for a structure in your area"

        With this answered, you will be able to ask any yurt company the following question.

        I want a (size of yurt), "will your yurt this size have a (snow load) to it, and can you send site plans with wet stamp to it?

        ANYONE can calm their yurt has whatever size load they wish.  The wet stamp on the site plans show that an engnieer has done the math and has PROVEN that the yurt does.  Some companies will give the site plans for free but charge for a wet stamp on it, others will give everything for free with the order on the yurt.  But if you are going to the zoning board you will have to have a set of site plans with load rating on them before they will issue any type of permit.  Unless they already have code for yurts in their area.

        Another question to ask the zoning is "Do you have any code for yurts"  more and more states are putting them in.  IF they do, they will be able to tell you everything you will need to know on what the yurt should have to pass.  Don't be to surprised if they ask "whats a yurt"...lol

        That should give you a start.

        ken