Re: [The_Yurt_Community] Off-Grid Living

  • Bexy Doolan
    Message 1 of 6 , May 2, 2012
      Hi tod,

      I'm interested to hear about the island. I know of a place called vinyl haven... I was thinkin of going there and maybe looking at vying a piece of land to live on...

      Bex

      07732444637

      Sent from my iPhone

      On 19 Apr 2012, at 16:29, "Todd" <drtoddm@...> wrote:

      Doomsdays have come and gone for a long time. They were real. They just result in an end to the world 'as we know it' and not utter annihilation. Watch old films & videos of the predictions about what would happen to our world if the dreaded 'Rock & Roll' music gained a large audience. They are laughable BUT... they were usually right! We have experienced drastic changes in social conventions of the kind fearfully forecast. The question we can now ask about the 'end of the world' as predicted back then is "SO WHAT?".
      Just the same, it is completely off the point. The property on which I someday will place my yurt is on an undeveloped island in Maine. If I don't have something I need on the island or know how to make it with what I've got at the time, I'm going to have to go and get it somehow. Since we are all seeking knowledge in living a rudimentary life-style with most of us seeking high-tech methods for achieving it while remaining a lot more comfortable than ancient Mongols, we can expect a lot of people to rehash ideas that seem to be best practices to the majority.
      For example, I subscribe to the Mother Earth News. I like it BUT... they rerun ideas constantly. Guess how many articles you can find in their archives about cold frames and raised beds. It's not a crime, a scam or an insult. It's the process of information dissemination one can expect when 're-inventing' ancient techniques and renaming them 'technologies'.