Re: Graywater Treatment

  • ben_azo
    Message 1 of 12 , Dec 3, 2011
      DOVE :-)

      --- In The_Yurt_Community@yahoogroups.com, Laura Blankenship <laura_blankenship@...> wrote:

      > What brands of soaps are you using?
      >

      > >________________________________

    • Karen Giuffre'
      Message 2 of 12 , Dec 3, 2011
        We, with student's parents, erected a 24' yurt as a classroom for our private, progressive school. The children, ages 8-15, then researched, purchased and installed a 5-dog stove. They did an amazing job! The steel pipe anchored to a window frame and driven into the ground in cement is being used to anchor the stove pipe. The stove pipe is well above the roof line and the smoke moves away from the yurt with the prevailing winds. We are on the east coast where temperatures have been reasonably warm but we have cranked the stove and feel it will do the job. However, during the first few times we ran it we had an uncomfortable amount of smoke in the yurt. We realize this might be burn off from the stove but we are not sure. there is no obvious source. Although a bit of smoke leaks from the stove as we refill the box. Any way to avoid this leakage? Anything else we should look for if the yurt continues to be somewhat smoky?

        Also the children have been constructing a Hungarian stove, which they hope will be the primary heating source within the next week or so. They have framed a 48' x 48' box with 2' x 4' s. They then collected about 200 aluminum cans. They removed the tops of the cans and then cut and fanned out the bottoms. Next the connected 10 cans end to end using silicone caulking. They painted the cans black on all sides and laid each row of ten side by side with the next row until all 200 cans were mounted in the frame. On Monday they will mount a 48' x 48' piece of tempered glass to the frame, mount a solar fan inside one end of the box and a vent pipe at the other end. They have created a solar, forced hot air system they feel will heat the yurt on most days of the year. The question they have now concern mounting this in the most opportune but least damaging way to the yurt.

        Can they mount this on the roof without compromising the yurt? If they put it on the ground outside the yurt they feel they will have to push the hot air in at the lowest point in the wall. Will this be efficient inside the yurt? Should they install a ceiling fan for better efficiency? If so, can anyone suggest a solar fan with electric backup? Any other ideas? thanks, Karen
      • raven_in_the_woods
        Message 3 of 12 , Dec 4, 2011
          We use Dr Brommers, and a number of other products we buy at the natural health food coop. Basically as long as it's not anti-bacterial, does not have any sort of sodium you should be good. Basically if you can visualize what all the ingredients look like and your great grandmother would know what they are you are probably safe. Anything with some chemical addition that only a chemist would know is probably no good for your garden.