Re: [The_Yurt_Community] Vinyl Wall and Roof Covering - Design and Contruction

  • Kenneth
    Message 1 of 9 , Aug 1, 2011
      ahhh I could but not able to on this one, due to the fact our company does sell covers.  Can say this.

      Walls are easy, just how long vs how high.  Roofs are a bitch.

      ken

      Message 2 of 9 , Aug 1, 2011
        I think most of your questions can be answered by closely studying the image galleries and construction walk-thru's on the various yurt manufacturer websites. That's what I've done.

        1. I personally will be making a 2 pc side cover, each end fastening to a door frame.
        2. The recycled billboard tarps I saw already have a rope pocket on the sides.
        3. personal preference, but mine will
        4. Look up the Yurt Calculator. Shows the different kinds of ruoofs and how to make them.
        5. Fold the cover over the inner ring and screw it down. The dome provides the seal.

        I haven't built mine yet, but these answers are based on my visual reverse engineering of current market designs.

        Dave

        --- In The_Yurt_Community@yahoogroups.com, "hithereterry" <hithereterry@...> wrote:

        > I have searched the group posts and files for help on how to construct vinyl walls for a 30 foot yurt. I've also searched the web but have not found anything very specific. I have a general idea as to what I would like to do, but am looking for any help I can find. My intention is to use recycled billboard vinyl. For the wall and roof, I wish to have an inner covering, an insulated layer (aluminum bubble), and an outer covering. It is also my intention to use H66 vinyl cement. If anyone has experience doing something like this I would love to hear from you.
        > Here are my various questions:
        > 1. How does one build wall sections? For example... should I build say 5 or 6 similar sections for the inner and outer walls , and if so how might I best connect them together (i.e Velcrow fasteners)?
        > 2. Do I need to build in a cord along the top and bottom of each section? I assume I would fold over then cement about 2" along all four sides of each section for strength, and I'd use grommets along the top and bottom of each section. Is this the way to go about it, or is there some other methods that might work better?
        > 3. Should each of my my wall coverings extend down below the base and if so by how much?
        > 4. Should I do the roof in sections as well, and what might be a good design to use (i.e. Velcrow fasteners)? The vinyl I have is very heavy and would would be difficult or perhaps impossible to put up in one section. Two or perhaps three sections would be more workable I think.
        > 5. How should the roof covering attach to the center ring so that the roof doesn't leak when it rains?
        >
        > If someone can recommend a book or a source I could turn to it would be very much appreciated.
        >
        > Thanks, Terry

      • hithereterry
        Message 3 of 9 , Aug 1, 2011
          Thanks all... I appreciate the advice and the references. There seems to be major lessons in yurt building as I've progressed. First lesson is how much work (and expense) there can be in building a base for a 30' yurt. New lesson is the challenge in building walls and roof. I've used the yurt calculator before and will check out SimplyDifferent to see if there is anything new, especially regarding roof cover construction.

          Does anyone happen to know if there are detailed plans or perhaps a book that describe this particular aspect (vinyl covering) of yurt construction?

          Terry

          --- In The_Yurt_Community@yahoogroups.com, "davidschwope" <davidschwope@...> wrote:

          > I think most of your questions can be answered by closely studying the image galleries and construction walk-thru's on the various yurt manufacturer websites. That's what I've done.
          >
          > 1. I personally will be making a 2 pc side cover, each end fastening to a door frame.
          > 2. The recycled billboard tarps I saw already have a rope pocket on the sides.
          > 3. personal preference, but mine will
          > 4. Look up the Yurt Calculator. Shows the different kinds of ruoofs and how to make them.
          > 5. Fold the cover over the inner ring and screw it down. The dome provides the seal.
          >
          > I haven't built mine yet, but these answers are based on my visual reverse engineering of current market designs.
          >
          > Dave
          >

          > --- In The_Yurt_Community@yahoogroups.com, "hithereterry" <hithereterry@> wrote:
          > >
          > > I have searched the group posts and files for help on how to construct vinyl walls for a 30 foot yurt. I've also searched the web but have not found anything very specific. I have a general idea as to what I would like to do, but am looking for any help I can find. My intention is to use recycled billboard vinyl. For the wall and roof, I wish to have an inner covering, an insulated layer (aluminum bubble), and an outer covering. It is also my intention to use H66 vinyl cement. If anyone has experience doing something like this I would love to hear from you.
          > > Here are my various questions:
          > > 1. How does one build wall sections? For example... should I build say 5 or 6 similar sections for the inner and outer walls , and if so how might I best connect them together (i.e Velcrow fasteners)?
          > > 2. Do I need to build in a cord along the top and bottom of each section? I assume I would fold over then cement about 2" along all four sides of each section for strength, and I'd use grommets along the top and bottom of each section. Is this the way to go about it, or is there some other methods that might work better?
          > > 3. Should each of my my wall coverings extend down below the base and if so by how much?
          > > 4. Should I do the roof in sections as well, and what might be a good design to use (i.e. Velcrow fasteners)? The vinyl I have is very heavy and would would be difficult or perhaps impossible to put up in one section. Two or perhaps three sections would be more workable I think.
          > > 5. How should the roof covering attach to the center ring so that the roof doesn't leak when it rains?
          > >
          > > If someone can recommend a book or a source I could turn to it would be very much appreciated.
          > >
          > > Thanks, Terry

        • Kenneth
          Message 4 of 9 , Aug 1, 2011
            just remember this hit.. (look it up)  HH-66 vinyl glue as strong as sewing, without the machine.

            with the right vinyl that is.

            ken

> [...]

            > > 3. Should each of my my wall coverings extend down below the base and if so by how much?
            > > 4. Should I do the roof in sections as well, and what might be a good design to use (i.e. Velcrow fasteners)? The vinyl I have is very heavy and would would be difficult or perhaps impossible to put up in one section. Two or perhaps three sections would be more workable I think.
            > > 5. How should the roof covering attach to the center ring so that the roof doesn't leak when it rains?
            > >
            > > If someone can recommend a book or a source I could turn to it would be very much appreciated.

          • hithereterry
            Message 5 of 9 , Aug 2, 2011
              Thanks Ken... I really appreciate your point. I actually took some small pieces of my vinyl to a shop that does vinyl work for boats and out door coverings, etc and asked the owner to confirm the vinyl I had was ok with H66. He glued a couple of sections together and two days later had me come in to check. Very strong adhesion. He indicated that with this vinyl and H66 glue the vinyl would tear elsewhere before the joints that were glued came apart. So I'm pretty confident in the H66 glue. I'm NOT so confident in our own ability to make the section edge folds look nice, etc. or how to cut and glue large sections of vinyl. But thats what makes it fun! Terry

              --- In The_Yurt_Community@yahoogroups.com, Kenneth <whitephoenix_69@...> wrote:

              > just remember this hit.. (look it up)  HH-66 vinyl glue as strong as sewing, without the machine.
              >
              > with the right vinyl that is.
              >
              > ken

            • Dale Swenson
              Message 6 of 9 , Aug 7, 2011
                I wish to use double pane vinyl windows and want to seal the wall covering to the windows and doors to prevent draft and moisture from penetrating.  This is the first I've heard of H66.  Who makes it and where do you get it?

                Thanks Ken... I really appreciate your point. I actually took some small pieces of my vinyl to a shop that does vinyl work for boats and out door coverings, etc and asked the owner to confirm the vinyl I had was ok with H66. He glued a couple of sections together and two days later had me come in to check. Very strong adhesion. He indicated that with this vinyl and H66 glue the vinyl would tear elsewhere before the joints that were glued came apart. So I'm pretty confident in the H66 glue. I'm NOT so confident in our own ability to make the section edge folds look nice, etc. or how to cut and glue large sections of vinyl. But thats what makes it fun! Terry

                --- In The_Yurt_Community@yahoogroups.com, Kenneth <whitephoenix_69@...> wrote:

                > just remember this hit.. (look it up)  HH-66 vinyl glue as strong as sewing, without the machine.
                >
                > with the right vinyl that is.
                >
                > ken

              • Todd
                Message 7 of 9 , Aug 8, 2011
                  I suggest caution when you consider 'sealing' everything. These things are generally designed to breathe unless a concerted and knowledgeable effort is made to build them otherwise. If things are closed up too tightly, you may wind up feeling like you are in a bathroom with somebody else taking a shower... ;-)