A couple more photos

  • mtmyrock
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 1, 2011
      Hi All,

      Just a couple more pictures I found in my photos. I am sure there are still more to be found.

      One picture shows a couple concrete yurts along the Karakorum Highway in Xinjiang Province, China. It is the highest paved highway in the world and goes to over 14,000 feet. We saw lots of these concrete yurts as we drove along. Many of them were built in pairs... A mother-in-law yurt?

      Does it have to be portable to be a yurt?

      The other picture shows 3 yurts alongside Karakul Lake, China, at about 3,600 meters (11,790 feet) altitude, near the Pakastan border. It is the first part of July, but you may notice a little snow... Always.

      It was a cool, slightly breezy day, and at that altitude after a half hour walk around the lake, I felt not winded, but I felt something, different. I live right at sea-level. You can't see the ocean from my 2nd floor apartment, but you can from the 9th floor roof of my building for 4 years now, so I am not used to the altitude now. In Montana the valley floor is about 3,500 feet, and that helps.

      Rod