how is everyone doing?

  • Crappiefisher
    Message 1 of 6 , Apr 3 12:16 PM
      how has everyone been doing with regard to the strong spring weather
      that we have been having? our yurt is still standing strong and we are
      beginning to mulch our pathways to eliminate the mud issue.
    • piers conway
      Message 2 of 6 , Apr 3 1:33 PM
        hI WHAT IS THE BEST TYPE OF WOOD TO MAKE A YURT?
        PIERS

        Crappiefisher <crappiefishergirl@...> wrote:
        how has everyone been doing with regard to the strong spring weather
        that we have been having? our yurt is still standing strong and we are
        beginning to mulch our pathways to eliminate the mud issue.

      • Danielle
        Message 3 of 6 , Apr 3 2:49 PM
          Hi,

          We are doing well, but can't seem to dry off.  When will this infernal rain stop?!  The wildflowers are happy and the creek is running high, but we can't get any work done on the decking.  I worry because it will soon be too darned hot to move.

          Ah, well.  As long as the yurt stays dry and the roads remain passable all is just fine.

          Thanks for asking,
          Danielle

           Few people know how to take a walk. The qualifications are
          endurance, plain clothes, old shoes, an eye for nature,
          good humor, vast curiosity, good speech and good silence.
          - Ralph Waldo Emerson

          Message 4 of 6 , Apr 3 5:13 PM
            We bought our land in northern Arkansas two weeks ago and we are going
            to start on our platform at the end of May during Memorial Day weekend.
            Our yurt is getting close to being finished and will probably be ready
            before we are - a 30' platform is quite a project when your land is a
            12-hour drive from your home. We have a Honda CRV and I calculated it
            will take 3 trips to haul the flooring up there because the CRV is only
            rated to haul 1500 pounds (it is a 4-cyl). We are using 2 x 6 T&G
            boards for the floor and wanted to finish them at home so we can take
            our time with it - the boards don't seem all that heavy but it adds up
            quick.

            Our plans are to get the platform built and yurt up this year. Next
            year we hope to run water and electricity to it and start building our
            bathroom. I was looking into a new nano-technology coating called
            Nasulate to coat the bottom of the flooring for insulation, but I
            couldn't find enough info and data on the product to convince me it
            really works. At $50/gal I didn't want to find out the hard way.

            Sarah
          • couture_x
            Message 5 of 6 , Apr 4 8:56 AM
              Howdy, we had a fairly mild winter in Vermont, and thankfully its been
              a rather dry March. Hoping to get started on construction again soon,
              to finish our 30 & 20 foot yurts. I was really amazed the first
              winter we had the 14' set up in the backyard of the rental house, on a
              'portable' platform, with a snow and wind kit and it stood up great to
              high winds and heavy snow.

              Anyway, what materials are you using for structural parts of the
              platform? We used 2x6 T&G for the floor, 4x6 douglas fir for beams
              and pressure treated wood for posts. Not really keen on the last
              part, and had we known we'd have looked in to alternates such as Black
              Locust. If you haven't bought materials for structure consider not
              using PT, its still not the safest material IMHO, and if you are
              putting in cement piers there's less worry about rot.

              You might check out www.safecoatpaint.com for sealing materials. We
              wanted low or no toxicity sealers and bought from them. BioShield is
              another manufacturer of safe sealers and such, but we've no experience
              with them. The former is kinda pricey but seems to be working so far.

              Chris

              --- In The_Yurt_Community@yahoogroups.com, Sarah Carriger
              <sjcarriger@...> wrote:

              > We bought our land in northern Arkansas two weeks ago and we are going
              > to start on our platform at the end of May during Memorial Day
              weekend.
              > Our yurt is getting close to being finished and will probably be ready
              > before we are - a 30' platform is quite a project when your land is a
              > 12-hour drive from your home. We have a Honda CRV and I calculated it
              > will take 3 trips to haul the flooring up there because the CRV is only
              > rated to haul 1500 pounds (it is a 4-cyl). We are using 2 x 6 T&G
              > boards for the floor and wanted to finish them at home so we can take
              > our time with it - the boards don't seem all that heavy but it adds up
              > quick.
              >
              > Our plans are to get the platform built and yurt up this year. Next
              > year we hope to run water and electricity to it and start building our
              > bathroom. I was looking into a new nano-technology coating called
              > Nasulate to coat the bottom of the flooring for insulation, but I
              > couldn't find enough info and data on the product to convince me it
              > really works. At $50/gal I didn't want to find out the hard way.
              >
              > Sarah

            • Glenn Case
              Message 6 of 6 , Apr 4 12:11 PM
                --- In The_Yurt_Community@yahoogroups.com, "Crappiefisher"
                <crappiefishergirl@...> wrote:

                > how has everyone been doing with regard to the strong spring weather
                > that we have been having? our yurt is still standing strong and we
                are
                > beginning to mulch our pathways to eliminate the mud issue.

                Glad to hear your winter went well. I spent the winter planning our
                spring modifications and moving the yurt around the basement. It is
                going to grow this year, with a third wall section, a new crown, a
                secure door, and of course more sewing. I'm also building a bitty lil
                yurt ala Paul King for a friend of mine and his kids... So we've made
                the winter ok, and its finally time to pop the yurt again. Tonight,
                over posole and red wine. I'm going to try and limit my time on it
                this year to a few weekends, not counting the nights spent sleeping in
                it. Looking forward to spring, Glenn