Re: We Bought Our Yurt Today!!!

  • Crappiefisher
    Message 1 of 17 , Feb 1, 2006
      we seriously looked at Great American Yurts when looking for ours.
      like you the cost was a big driving factor in our decision. (besides,
      they are only a 2 hour drive from home!) Great American Yurts builds
      yurts primarily for the Anachronism groups, so that they are
      more "traditional" compared to other companies in US. the most
      important thing is that you are happy with your decision and that you
      enjoy your yurt! congrats!
    • Crappiefisher
      Message 2 of 17 , Feb 1, 2006
        we didn't do this, but i think that you have to drill the hole for the
        bolt. we almost did this but the cost of the concrete was too high for
        our budget so we sank the posts in concrete thinking that in the
        future, if the deck had to be rebuilt we could cut off the posts and
        then use this type of foundation support.
      • couture_x
        Message 3 of 17 , Feb 1, 2006
          <chuckle> Your questions are so familiar! We were asking the same
          things not too long ago :)

          The post sits on the post base, the bolt/nut should not be touching
          anything but the post base itself. Problem with 4x4 post base is you
          will have real difficulty getting a wrench in once the post is on. So
          my method evolved to this:

          1) do the footing as you outlined below, make sure the bolt is pretty
          well tight using a socket or torque wrench (don't over-tighten, trust
          me it really sucks to have to rebuild a footing due to a snapped bolt)
          2) use a 1-1/2" spade drill bit to make a hole on the bottom of the
          post, about 1/2" deep. I sorta drilled a couple of holes, one in the
          center and one on either end, at an angle, for the wrench to clear the
          nut once the post is in place. Tried not to do it too close to the
          edge so as not to weaken the post.
          3) put the post on, nail it in with the appropriate sized nails (8d I
          think for the 4x4 but it says right on the side of the post base)
          4) use a box end wrench to double check that the bolt didn't loosen up
          during hammering. this is where you have to slip the end over the
          bolt and that hole comes in handy. I would often slip a hacksaw in
          and trim the bolt right down to the nut, too.

          that pretty much does it. You might consider using a lock washer on
          your bolt, too, to keep the nut nice & tight when you are driving nails.

          Good luck!

          Chris

          --- In The_Yurt_Community@yahoogroups.com, Sarah Carriger
          <sjcarriger@h...> wrote:

          > OK, this may be a dumb question, but I am not a structural engineer
          - so
          > here goes. You pour your footing and sink a J-bolt in it while it is
          > wet and leave an inch or so sticking out of the top of the footing.
          The
          > 4 x 4 post bracket has a cutout so it fits over the bolt and then you
          > screw the nut on the bolt to hold the bracket in place. You place
          the 4
          > x 4 post into the bracket and nail it on the sides where the nail holes
          > are to hold it in place. My question is - does the 4 x 4 post sit
          right
          > in top of the J-bolt, or do you drill a hole in the bottom of the beam
          > so it fits around the J-bolt and sits flat in the bottom of the 4 x 4
          > post bracket? If this is not clear, I can post a link to a sketch.
          >
          > Thanks,
          > Sarah

        • Raccoon Creek Community
          Message 4 of 17 , Feb 1, 2006
            Robert,

            Though I have not purchased a yurt from anyone yet, I did visit Great
            American Yurts' site where they build their yurts. It is on the far
            east side of the Indianapolis area, less than an hour from me.

            They are a small company but their product is made with care by
            experienced people. The woman who does the stitching took time out to
            show us everything we asked about and, though we were there for 45
            minutes or so, she never once made us feel like we were an
            inconvenience. I could have talked with the boss also, but all of our
            questions were answered so it wasn't necessary.

            Great American Yurts is definitely NOT a "scam!"

            Shame on you for disparaging a fine company without even checking it
            out. Regardless of the language in which you couched your comment,
            many will only remember that "scam" and "Great American Yurts" were
            mentioned in the same sentence!

            Ed Paynter

            On 2/1/06, Robert Matthews <Rob@...> wrote:

            > Hi Sarah,
            >
            > Recently I was warned about a number of yurt companies by expert on yurts,
            > Becky Kemery. I am not sure if Great American Yurts were one of the
            > not-recommended vendors but she did mention something that sounded similar
            > and told me they should not to be used as they are a scam. I will copy this
            > to Becky and ask her.
            >
            > Best wishes
            >
            > Rob

          • Robert Matthews
            Message 5 of 17 , Feb 2, 2006

              Dear Ed,

              I wrote “I am not sure if Great American Yurts were one of the not-recommended vendors but she did mention something that sounded similar”.  Once you have re-read this I think you will find it clear that I am not saying NOT Great America Yurts are one of the not re-commended vendors.

              I then wrote, “and told me they should not to be used”. I am sure on re-reading you will notice that “they” is referring to the not-recommended vendors and NOT to Great America Yurts.

              If some readers had a problem understanding my email then please note that I AM NOT SAYING NOT Great America Yurts is one of the not-recommended vendors.

              Let me explain why I posted this email:

              Firstly, I was given the information by Beck Emery who runs www.YurtInfo.org a well informed person.  As I qualified, I couldn’t remember clearly what she said to me but it sounded similar. If I wait for Becky to get back to me it would be a while as she rarely checks her email – by then it mat be too late to help Sarah.  So I thought better for her to know and wait to make sure than take a risk. Does that sound sensible?

              Secondly, I said “I am not sure” – i.e. that I am not sure.

              Thirdly, it was to help a fellow yurt dweller and alert them to possible problems and written so as not to criticize Great American Yurts but to ask Sarah to wait until Becky had got back to me.

              So Ed, why are you “shaming me” for trying to help a person the best I can! (-:  Why not a polite email saying you are concerned some people will get the wrong idea from my post?  However your concern is my concern and I don’t want anyone thinking what you implied.  I am sure you understand I was acting to help Sarah.

              I am still waiting to hear from Becky and will let you know when I do but I am pleased to hear, from your experience it suggests that Great America Yurts are in fact NOT the company Becky told me off.  If Great America Yurts are the great company you report they are then it seems like a great choice for Sarah and I hope this is the case.

              Best wishes

                Message 7 of 17 , Feb 3, 2006

                  Hi Sarah,

                  It sounds as if you have chosen well.  I am still waiting to hear from Becky. It could be a while.

                  Best wishes

                  Robert

                  Message 8 of 17 , Feb 3, 2006
                    I can't wait to hear about it since we were so close to buying out
                    yurt from them! and to know that the Georgia B&B received their yurts
                    from them is a bonus! cool!