Re: Yurt Contents & Living Space Setup

  • crappiefisher
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 11, 2010
      We had a 20 foot yurt that we used as a camp in Kentucky. We used the yurt year round, but didn't live in 24/7. This is how we set it up, i'll start from the door and go right:
      a 5 foot table with three chairs up against my husband's grandfather's pine board bar (fully stocked). On the table was a 5 gallon water receptacle (no running water in the yurt). On the wall, behind the bar were hooks where we hung our life vests, rain jackets and such.
      Next was a bathroom vanity top with sink and drawers that we propped up on a wooden stand that my husband made. This was our "kitchen" that provided storage for silverware, dishes, pots and pans, and cleaning supplies. We strung a small piece of clothesline across the window here to hang wet towels and socks. The electrical cord that was plugged into the power pole outside came in through the wall at this point and let to a power strip that was hung on one of the support poles in the yurt. Next, on the wall we had a small wooden bathroom mirror/medicine cabinet where we kept our toiletries.
      A folding chair sat next to the "kitchen" and on to the futon/bunk bed that provided siting space as well as sleeping for three people. Extra blankets and pillows were stored on the top bunk when not in use. In front of the futon/bunkbed was a small craft table that have the ability to lower or raise. Lowered, it was our "coffee table" in front of the futon. Raised, we took it outside to eat on ...on ate on it inside during the winter. Next was a storage cabinet that my husband made to store tools, nails, screws, and other things. Next was a 4 shelf unit for our fishing supplies, camping pots and pans, books, and games.

      Next was a regular futon that could sleep two, but normally slept one. More pillows (they looked decorative by day, used at night) and a blanked draped the back. Next was a shelving unit that my husband built into the wall of the yurt using the support poles. Here we kept our camp chairs, sleeping bags, and paper supplies. Next was a space for our fishing poles, pudgie pie makers and anything, broom and carpet sweeper.
      Lastly was a tall metal cabinet that stored our canned goods followed by a rubbermaid tub that kept our dry foods (kept in the covered tub to keep mice and other visitors out).

      the floor was covered with indoor/outdoor carpet, except for the small space in front of the door, where we placed a small square of linoleum.

      We slept about 16 folks in there at once a few times. You couldn't walk around at night, but we had a great time!

      We miss our yurt and hope to find some property down here in AL to build another one in the near future.

      We had on outdoor privy that also stored other things. we had to set up a camp shower when we stayed there.

      we heated with propane heater when we were awake and slept under a lot of covers at night. We had planned to install a wood burning stove, but had to sell our property due to our move to Alabama.