Re: please could someone offer some advise on a twisting yurt.

  • jonah.freeland
    Message 1 of 18 , Jul 1, 2010
      hi everyone,

      it has been a while. i have been at uni for the past few months but i am back home now. over easter i started work on a round ring, and over the past few days i have finished it and today i erected the roof.

      i used the traditional method on simplydifferent http://www.simplydifferently.org/Yurt_Notes?page=2#Wheel%20/%20Toono

      i will put up some pictures if it is still standing tomorrow.

      thank you all very much for your help.

      in conclusion, i agree with ken; "YOU need a ROUND ring".

      i have some more questions but i will start a new thread.

      thanks again, the yurt community is amazing.

      --- In The_Yurt_Community@yahoogroups.com, Kenneth <whitephoenix_69@...> wrote:

      > LOL everyone we are like the football announcers right now.  We are all saying the same thing but in a different way.
      > YOU need a ROUND ring.
      > ken

    • daniel
      Message 2 of 18 , Sep 23, 2010
        Hi all my first post here i have just finished my first yurt, which i intend to live in long term, and have done it with an octagonal tono, split annd shaped from logs, 2 octagons sitting on one another with square spacers between to hold square end roof poles, and i have found that it works fine, although i have not got the weight of the canvas on it yet. Was a wee bit worried when i came across these messages with all this talk of round tonos, but i am pretty confident my octagon is holding the roof poles pretty steady. All you have to do really is have a gradation of how far each of the poles goes into or through the tono, i.e. the roof poles which conect with the corners of the octagon go further into it, and those in the middle of the straight sides, less so, this combined with your correct angle between poles as if putting them into a circular tono should work