Homesteader News December issue is now online!

  • solarman
    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 1, 2009
      Homesteader News is a free online newspaper written by homesteaders for
      homesteaders.

      IN THIS ISSUE:

      Katherine Yarber- Emergency checklists

      Krystal Beers- Rendering Lard

      Shannon Rizzo- Taking a break and winter gardening

      Tanya Kelley- At the auction

      Survival skills- How to skin a deer and fire making

      Maggie Mae- Fun with plastic barrels

      Hobbies- How to make a quilt and rubber band guns

      LaMar- Shed and small home designs

      PLUS- The new inexpensive solar panels are here!

      We also have sweepstakes, games, videos and lots of great stuff!

      so come by and sit on our front porch and visit!

      http://www.homesteadernews.com

      LaMar
    • Chris Fuhr
      Message 2 of 4 , Dec 1, 2009
        Too the best of my knowlege there is no land left to homestead?

        The last of it was some lava bed in Oregon, with ground too lava sharp for a car or boot to travel over? Possible urban ledgend?
        The Alaska land stopped because of people hoping to get oil rights even when they really didn't try hard to live there?  I'm calling that one a myth because because there's no urban areas around it.

        So I take it this is a (how too be homestead like?) (as opposed to actually getting land by homesteading?)

        Message 3 of 4 , Dec 1, 2009
          The legal definition you utilize may be a propos to days gone by but LaMar's information is based on finding a piece of land you can get for a lot of money or 'almost' nothing and making it livable while also doing some actual living in the meantime. Do a Google search of "Define Homestead" and you get this as the first definition;
          the home and adjacent grounds occupied by a family
          Solarman walks the walk. I find his information useful, real-world and genuine. His publications have contributed as much as anything else to my joining this group because I bought a piece of land on an island in Maine and intend to put a 30' diameter yurt on it as my 'homestead' which I intend to buy from an outfit in New Hampshire after researching what matters here and other places.
          Todd
        • solarman
          Message 4 of 4 , Dec 1, 2009
            Chris, a homesteader is someone that takes a raw piece of land and builds a home and a homestead.

            A homestead is considered land and home used for self sufficiency.

            It also includes people that refurbish old houses for homesteads and people like those in this group that live lightly on the land in yurts.

            For some homesteading includes gardening, raising animals and living off the land for others they use their land for commercial means or operate a home based business and as long as they are trying to be self sufficient they are all homesteaders.

            Hope that clears things up!

            LaMar
            www.simplesolarhomesteading.com