Re: Mouse-proofing a yurt

  • mengrotheroadscholar
    Message 1 of 5 , Dec 5, 2005
      Ok, this hasn't gotten a good response yet so it seems to be something
      that is either not a problem for most or else it's got no easy
      solution. First off, I'd have to ask if your yurt is more like a
      suburban tract house and on a permanent foundation. If so, likely you
      don't have a mouse problem.

      If not and you live in a yurt that is very tent like, then I think
      you'll find it's not a real problem if you keep moving your yurt
      often. Mice and other rodents are actually very intellegent creatures
      and with mice and rats, they live in structured societies where each
      member has a role to play. In every mouse or rat colony, the young
      juvenile males look for new food sources and the youngest, lowest
      status among these will taste newly discovered food first. If he
      doesn't get sick or die, others will try it. In time, many members of
      the colony will come to get the food but it takes time before they
      feel comfortable enough to enter into some new place. They are
      actually very wary and skittish about changes in their environment and
      a yurt that moves frequently is less likely to be bothered, in my

      Also, mice and rats are so clever, that even steel doors may not keep
      them out so your best way to control them is to keep any possible food
      stored in rodent proof containers. An example is cookie tins or big
      jars. I save big plastic containers that hold other foods. I have a
      big dog treat containers that now holds my flour. Keep your foods in
      these containers and other rodent proof containers and even if one of
      these young juvenile food tasters does get in, yet he finds no food in
      the yurt, then he'll likely leave on his own and won't keep coming
      back or bring others. The one exception is in the Fall, young mice
      looking to set up a new colony and possibly pregnant will sometimes
      invade places looking for Winter shelter, but for a yurt that keeps on
      the move and has no food, seems like it would not be a major problem.

      Lastly, when I was young, I kept over 100 mice and over 30 rats. I
      actually bred them, bought and sold them. They're pretty cool
      creatures that I still have great respect for, half a century later.
      I often carried mice to another collector/breeder's house in a simple
      cardboard box. It takes quite a lot of work for one to chew through
      brown corregated paper boxes. Most people also do not realize what
      wonderful swimmers they are. I went down to the brook one winter day
      and saw a mouse on a rock but when he saw me, he paniced and jumped in
      and swam upstream. The brook had about 1/4" of clear ice over it and
      the poor creature could get out or even find an air pocket. I
      followed him to see what he would do and he swam upstream over 100'
      before he found a hole and jumped out and ran away. what a fantastic
      athelete!!! Don't underestimate their ability to squirm through tiny
      cracks, swim through pipes, chew through sheet metal, and more. Give
      them time and they can do amazing things. All the more reason to keep
      moving your yurt.

      Mengro, the Road Scholar

      --- In The_Yurt_Community@yahoogroups.com, "iluv2xski" <iluv2xski@y...
      > wrote:
      > Hi, we have purchased and set up a used yurt. We need to seal up
      > bottom (where the canvas meets the decking) and are wondering if
      > anyone has interesting ideas to seal it that will keep out mice. We
      > have some ideas, but are open to ideas from experience. Brenda
    • Crappiefisher
      Message 2 of 5 , Dec 7, 2005
        as always, mengro provides some very useful advice with regard to
        living in our yurts. however, suburban tract homes do get mice. my
        home is proof!

        mengro's suggestions of keeping all food items out of reach of
        critters, like good storage containers, is a very good piece of
        advice. I keep all of my flour, breads, etc...anthing that a mouse
        could chew into, in a a large rubbermaid box or in a nice tupperware
        or old (new)folgers plastic storage container.

        check the outside edge of your yurt. like mengro said, mice and
        other rodents are fascinating creatures and can squeeze thru the
        smallest and thinnest of spaces. you may want to seal the outside
        canvas to the deck with metal strapping or provide some steel wool
        between the canvas and the deck. you may have a space in the canvas
        near your door. although our yurt is placed on a deck that is 6 ft
        at its highest, mice can run up the entry ramp to our door. we found
        a small space near the floor and have packed it with steel wool. in
        our home, we have sealed up the garage door bottom so that a better
        seal forms when it closes. that has seemed to stop them for the time

        if you do have mice, be sure to clean the edges of your yurt very
        well! mice tend to urinate and defecate as they run, leaving nasty
        residue..not very healthy for being cooped up in a closed home
        during the winter!