Re: [The_Yurt_Community] Re: question about installing a Pacific Yurt top cover

  • Timothy Dawes
    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 1, 2009
      I've made two 24' yurts and with both I never went through the center ring but OVER it to put up the covers, I threw a rope over the top of the yurt and attached it to the cover folded like a borito. Folks from one side lifted the cover onto the edge off the roof rafters while folks on the other side pulled on the rope. Pushing and pulling got it to the top then it was unfurled. Don't make the mistake  of folding it wrong so as to arrive at the top upside down, it won't unfurl but sit on itself, all 250 pounds or so of it.
      On my second yurt I fashioned a temporary pulley (large one used in a clothesline)
      which I positioned on top of the center ring. I put  the pulley between 2 2x6's which were long enough to straddle the top ring. I threw the rope over it as noted above and used a car to pull the roof up. That was sweet!!!!

      Message 2 of 5 , Jul 1, 2009
        Well, we got the top on over the side. Two of us were standing through the top ring pulling, and two guys were outside pushing. We got it up OK (only aminimum of swearing), but struggled a bit unfolding it.
        Everything is attached, but since we purchased it used, and after looking at it for two days, we have decided to take the outside walls off and make some further adjustments. It had been standing in the Arizona sun for four years, so we are going to replace all of the plastic clips that held the side walls up. The cord that they attached to had been repaired once, so I told my husband that we should also replace that as well. Those seem to be the biggests points of stress, so it's best to fix it now, before we finish off the inside and move on in. My husband has other issues with it as well, and we will probably wait until it cools off a bit to tackle them. We have time. We just didn't want the wood sitting outside exposed to the elements any longer than we had to. Thanks for the suggestions, I especially liked the pully and car idea.

        --- In The_Yurt_Community@yahoogroups.com, Timothy Dawes <timd02806@...> wrote:

        > I've made two 24' yurts and with both I never went through the center ring but OVER it to put up the covers, I threw a rope over the top of the yurt and attached it to the cover folded like a borito. Folks from one side lifted the cover onto the edge off the roof rafters while folks on the other side pulled on the rope. Pushing and pulling got it to the top then it was unfurled. Don't make the mistake  of folding it wrong so as to arrive at the top upside down, it won't unfurl but sit on itself, all 250 pounds or so of it.
        > On my second yurt I fashioned a temporary pulley (large one used in a clothesline)
        > which I positioned on top of the center ring. I put  the pulley between 2 2x6's which were long enough to straddle the top ring. I threw the rope over it as noted above and used a car to pull the roof up. That was sweet!!!!

      • eginden2
        Message 3 of 5 , Jul 1, 2009
          I liked the car idea too. Worth putting in the back of my mind for the future.