Re: Stovepipe installation

  • yurtlife
    Message 1 of 4 , Nov 2, 2005
      Hi Brenda and Scott,
      Welcome to the group. Do you have the flashing for the stove pipe?
      Most of the yurt companies make flashing that will fit the lattice.
      Pacific Yurts does for sure, and I'm sure the others do too.

      Is a section of the lattice already cut out for the pipe? We cut
      one "x" out of the lattice leaving a large diamond shaped hole that
      the flashing fits over. Then we have our stove pipe going into
      triple wall asbestos chimney pipe and then through the flashing and
      yurt wall to a T-connector attached to the chimney (also triple wall
      asbestos chimney pipe) which is supported by two 16 foot 4x4's.

      As for the mouse proofing. We have cats :-), and our deck is 2 feet
      off the ground, so we have never had the problem. Our yurt cover is
      quite tightly attached to the drip edge of the deck, but you can
      still run a power cord or squeeze a couple of fingers through, so I
      suppose a mouse could squeeze through too. Perhaps someone else can
      help in this area.

      Good Luck,
      Debbie.

      --- In The_Yurt_Community@yahoogroups.com, "iluv2xski"
      <iluv2xski@y...> wrote:

      > We would like some ideas on how to install the stovepipe for our
      > woodstove in our yurt. Our used yurt already has the hole out the
      > side through the lattice. The decking which the yurt sits on is
      on
      > the ground. Thanks. Brenda and Scott

    • Brenda Olson
      Message 2 of 4 , Nov 9, 2005
        Debbie, Thanks for responding.  We appreciate the information.  One more question:  How are the 4x4's anchored for the chimney pipe?  Brenda and Scott

        Message 3 of 4 , Nov 9, 2005
          Hi Brenda and Scott,
          They are sunk into the ground in cement. I think dh dug down a
          couple of feet (although not entirely sure how far - not more than
          that for sure) and then filled the hole with cement.

          I guess they are anchored pretty well because we had 70-80 mph wind
          gusts last night (we've had wind nearly that strong or even a bit
          stronger from time to time over the years) and the chimney did not
          have any problem.

          Debbie.

          --- In The_Yurt_Community@yahoogroups.com, Brenda Olson
          <iluv2xski@y...> wrote:

          > Debbie, Thanks for responding. We appreciate the information.
          One more question: How are the 4x4's anchored for the chimney
          pipe? Brenda and Scott

          > yurtlife <yurtlife@y...> wrote:
          > Hi Brenda and Scott,
          > Welcome to the group. Do you have the flashing for the stove pipe?
          > Most of the yurt companies make flashing that will fit the
          lattice.
          > Pacific Yurts does for sure, and I'm sure the others do too.
          >
          > Is a section of the lattice already cut out for the pipe? We cut
          > one "x" out of the lattice leaving a large diamond shaped hole
          that
          > the flashing fits over. Then we have our stove pipe going into
          > triple wall asbestos chimney pipe and then through the flashing
          and
          > yurt wall to a T-connector attached to the chimney (also triple
          wall
          > asbestos chimney pipe) which is supported by two 16 foot 4x4's.
          >
          > As for the mouse proofing. We have cats :-), and our deck is 2
          feet
          > off the ground, so we have never had the problem. Our yurt cover
          is
          > quite tightly attached to the drip edge of the deck, but you can
          > still run a power cord or squeeze a couple of fingers through, so
          > suppose a mouse could squeeze through too. Perhaps someone else
          can
          > help in this area.
          >
          > Good Luck,
          > Debbie.
          >
          > --- In The_Yurt_Community@yahoogroups.com, "iluv2xski"
          > <iluv2xski@y...> wrote:
          > >
          > > We would like some ideas on how to install the stovepipe for our
          > > woodstove in our yurt. Our used yurt already has the hole out
          the
          > > side through the lattice. The decking which the yurt sits on is
          > on
          > > the ground. Thanks. Brenda and Scott

          > Mongolia travel Mongolia tour Mongolia fishing Ulaanbaatar
          mongolia Circular Yurts

          Service.