Re: [The_Yurt_Community] Re: Basic Base insulation + - Heat storage -

  • Chris Fuhr
    Message 1 of 14 , Aug 1, 2008
      Has anyone noted that Seashells are sold to farmers for egg laying birds because there high in calcium that the birds need/want it for thicker shells?  Would this mean that his Yurt would be a favorite place for nesting birds to get that little bit of extra minerials.  Could you make sure that the local bird poop is not asicidic.  I had a friend who lost a yurt covering from having his close to a cherry tree, and the poop burned wholes in the covering.

      Has anyone considered a material that no mater where you go it's there and free?  Air.  Dead air spaces work as an insulator.  One of their problems is the slightest leak and you loose most of the effect.  A secondary problem is that if your two walls are allowed to move separately they form an air pump powered by the wind.  Altho it's great for air circulation it's a killer on the save the heat effect.  Multuiple walls properly sealed works better per weight.

      Message 2 of 14 , Sep 7, 2008
        Sorry I might be necorposting slightly, but what about crushed glass?
        A while back on the BBC there was a programme called "It's Not Easy
        Being Green" where they buried crushed glass in a pit and physically
        piped warm air down into it from a glass house with a small solar fan.
        The idea being during the day the heat went in at night the heat came
        back out.

        I've wondered ever since if this might not be an idea.