Re: solar power

  • Crappiefisher
    Message 1 of 8 , Aug 2, 2005
      I'm sorry Chris. I have read and reread this post several times and I
      have no idea what you are talking about.

      we don't get much wind on our little piece of property, but do get a
      LOT of direct sunlight from midmorning to evening. So that's why we
      figured that solar just may work to supplement the electrical power
      that we feel that we will need.

      --- In The_Yurt_Community@yahoogroups.com, Chris Fuhr
      <instructorhasgonedigital@y...> wrote:
      > If you trydown the yurt. Add overpressure flapps together they
      equal your yurt wont fly away and if your winds are directional mostly
      form one direction try a middleeastern wind tube you pass the tube
      underground or in some cases the wind gose over a fountain the air
      being cought is cooled and free. I believe that I saw it in the
      book "Shelters".

    • Chris Fuhr
      Message 2 of 8 , Aug 2, 2005
        an electric fans use can be reduced, by channeling natual wind into a yurt.  This concept is frighting to a mongal, (they belive that it is a sin to pierce the ground (stake down a yurt)) there yurts can fly away, thus the door to the south.  In the medatraininan there they have these tubes going higher than a thief can just climb into (they look like the old tubes that ships had (titanic) for air to get below deck) anyway they go undergorund the earth adds it's coolness as it travels twards the house and the air enters in the basement.  Many a house in the med has these comming out a wall of the basement with a small fountain in front of it thus humidity is added as well.

        The overpressure flaps are nothing but a weighted flap (velcro also works) if theres a wind entering your yurt rather than it trying to get off the ground it simply burps, temporally pops the flap most are desigined to reset temselves.  If you added a wind cathing tube and ran it underground, Id add an overpressure relief system so if youf yurt can catch too much wind it dosent just take it and fly away.

        I think I saw it in the book shetler or shelters.

        Crappiefisher <crappiefishergirl@...> wrote:
        I'm sorry Chris. I have read and reread this post several times and I
        have no idea what you are talking about.

        we don't get much wind on our little piece of property, but do get a
        LOT of direct sunlight from midmorning to evening. So that's why we
        figured that solar just may work to supplement the electrical power
        that we feel that we will need.

        --- In The_Yurt_Community@yahoogroups.com, Chris Fuhr
        <instructorhasgonedigital@y...> wrote:
        > If you trydown the yurt.  Add overpressure flapps together they
        equal your yurt wont fly away and if your winds are directional mostly
        form one direction try a middleeastern wind tube you pass the tube
        underground or in some cases the wind gose over a fountain the air
        being cought is cooled and free.  I believe that I saw it in the
        book "Shelters".

        Yahoo! Mail