Re: Some New Photos - Video Links - Designs

  • Crappiefisher
    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 2, 2008
      very nice design! dh and i were just talking about possibly making a
      small yurt to carry around - for camping and to use as exhibit space at
      art fests.
      i visited Dimple's site. very impressive! His notes are very brief and
      I have a few questions:
      The holes in the poles are for the junctions right? where one would tie
      the two together?
      Do the roof poles have as many tied junctions? or are they simply tied
      at the top and at the junction with the khana (wall).

      very interesting....hmmmm......

      how would one convert to a 10 or 8 ft yurt?
    • Puck III
      Message 2 of 4 , Jan 3, 2008
        May I suggest , you could build a small camping yurt as a working
        model.
        See : PopUp Travel Yurt Tent
        A working model you can camp in :-) the first photo in my album .

        This can be easely done in 1 day ,
        1 weekend for those that did never anything :-)
        the frame alone would cost you some dollars if you
        have to buy the bamboo , otherwise only elastics as cost :-)

        Once done you will undestand how easy and simple it is
        and ask yourself why you did not do it earlyer.
        I really think it is the best school to learn what a yurt really is.

        Once that is done you should make a designgoal ,
        or extensive wishlist of what you really want and need .

        Once that is done you could post it here .
        Many people sure are willing to help ,
        I am a good designer builder :-)
        Sure willing to design a new " Yurt Community Travel Lodge "
        If there is any interest from co members .

        Jessop and Dimble use very similar systems .
        Personaly I prefer no holes !!!
        I just use binders , easyer and cheap.

        Rene Mueller uses them with succes , he just makes holes
        on top and bottom of the walls , see his great website.

        For the bottom and the top of the walls I make no holes :-)
        Just using an elastomer system , cheap and proven.
        Any hole in wood or bamboo makes your frame less strong.

        I changed the Jessop & Dimple roof top completely ,
        to complicated in my eyes .

        To convert anything , just use the free yurt calculator from :
        http://simplydifferently.org/Yurt_Notes?

        More questions ? just ask .

        OB

        --- In The_Yurt_Community@yahoogroups.com, "Crappiefisher"