Continuing the Legacy: Urban League Provides Jobs and Hope to New Yorkers

  • Letitia Smith
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 20, 2009
      Continuing the Legacy: Urban League Provides Jobs and Hope to New Yorkers
      Four months is a long time when you are looking for work.  For Darryl Rudder it had been over four months since he had been laid off from his maintenance job and he was starting to become a little discouraged.  Then his Uncle told him about the New York Urban League employment program in the Bronx.  Darryl lived in Harlem, but he was willing to get on the train, if the New York Urban League could help him.  Darryl was happy to find out that the program not only offered services in the North Bronx, but they also offered services from a brownstone in Harlem.  In a few weeks the New York Urban League's employment program had helped Darryl improve his resume, establish an email account, create a regular system to check for job opportunities and follow-up on leads.  Darryl is now back at work with Principle Building Services and his next goal is to get his driver's license.

      The New York Urban League regularly provides placement,  professional resume writing and interview training and techniques for New Yorkers like Darryl who are trying to get back on their feet.  When describing the Urban League Darryl said, "It's a great atmosphere, and they help more than other places.  You learn the tools to look for a job on your own and how to work on the computer.  I would definitely recommend it to someone else."  Since our inception 90 years ago, the New York Urban League has been providing employment training and placement for New Yorkers.  If you are looking for employment or know someone who is, please contact our Employment and Training program at (212) 926-8000 ext. 156.

      Cordially,

      Letitia Smith

      *please consider the environment before printing