Re: [TheTrueSabbathsAndNewMoons] Hours of the Day, and Hours of the Night

  • PWC
    Message 1 of 56 , Jun 29, 2011

      Greetings Folks,

      I hope this will find all of you in good health, and interested in an eye opening study on the true meaning of Morning & how it relates to Genesis 1:5, et alia, and also to the 7th Day Sabbath.

      YashaNa.
      Br, Paul

      Paul Christian

      06-13-2011 (revised 06-25-2011)

      Etymology of Morning & Its Importance
      As It Relates To Genesis 1:5, et alia

      Please prayerfully contemplate the following. Etymology is the history of word origin. John Wycliffe lived almost 200 years before the Reformation. He finished writing, by hand, the very first English Bible in 1384. It is of great importance that we understand the heritage of our own language, much as it would benefit and enrich us to understand our own family heritage. Knowing where our English language comes from, and how it has developed gives us a deeper understanding and an appreciation for original meaning and word use that cannot be had from just brushing the surface of our Modern English. With learning the original meaning and usage of the words that compose our language, it gives us a chance to rightly divide the word of truth, as we learn how words of our language were originally defined and used. Original understanding is essential. Below are a couple of excerpts that give the etymology and definition of Morning. It does not fit with the modern understanding (rather misunderstanding) of the term. Originally it was understood as a time of Darkness before Sunrise .

      From: A Comparative Glossary of the Gothic Language with Especial Reference to English And German - by Gerhard Hubert Balg, Ph.D., Mayville , Wisconsin ; published by B. Westermann & Co., N.Y.1889

      uhtwo - day-break, dawn; airuhtwon - before daybreak [ere daybreak] (Mk. 1, 35). Old English [Anglo Saxon] uht; uhte (in compounds) [such as uhten-tid; uht-sang], Middle English uhte, uht; Old Northumbrian otta; Old Saxon uhta, Old High German uhta; Middle High German uhte, uohte - dawn. Allied to Sanskrit aktti- (light); German durh (ray; beam); Lithuanian anksti (early) [bracketed text not in original]

      As seen from the above resource Mark 1:35 is cited as defining Morning as a time of Darkness before Daybreak. Compare how the following versions render the verse.

      Mark 1:35 (emphasis added)

      1384 Wycliffe in Modern English - And he stiled full early, and geed out, and geed into a desert place, and prayed there.

      1525 Tyndale - And in the morninge very erly Iesus arose and went out into a solitary place and there prayed.

      1599 Geneva Bible - And in the morning very early before day, Iesus arose & went out into a solitarie place, and there praied.

      1611 KJV; 1833 Noah Webster Bible - And in the morning, rising a great while before day, he went out and departed into a solitary place, and there prayed.

      1889 Darby - And rising in the morning long before day, he went out and went away into a desert place, and there prayed.

      1903 Weymouth NT - In the morning He rose early, while it was still quite dark, and leaving the house He went away to a solitary place and there prayed.

      1982 Modern KJV - And rising up quite early in the night, He went out and went away into a deserted place, and He was praying there.

      2001 English Standard Version - And rising very early in the morning, while it was still dark, he departed and went out to a desolate place, and there he prayed.

      2006 Voice in the Wilderness Version - And in the morning, having risen a long while before daylight, He went out and departed to a solitary place; and there prayed.

      It is clearly evident that at the time Wycliffe was hand writing the first English Bible in the late 14th Century that the definition of Morning was understood as a time of Darkness before Sunrise; and that the reckoning of the Daily Cycle from Sunrise to Sunrise was in use when Yahusha (Iesus/Jesus) was walking the earth. The Dead Sea Scrolls indicate that the Essenes, who were offshoots of the Temple Sadducees , also kept the Temple Solar Calendar, along with reckoning the Daily Cycle from Sunrise to Sunrise. This was not the Calendar of the Pharisees, who usurped the Seat of Moses; and whom continue to this day to reckon their Daily Cycle in the fashion of the Babylonians, from Sunset to Sunset. The previously guarded secret workings of the Babylonian Metonic 19 Year Cycle; adopted by the Pharisaic Rabbinate even before the birth of Yahusha (Iesus/Jesus); were finally made public in 358/359 as the Hillel II Calendar. It was a political move to stop further defection to Messianic belief of Jews otherwise sympathetic to the Pharisees.

      Following are Eight (8) supporting Old Testament Scriptures that Morning is a time of Darkness of Night:

      Genesis 20:8 (emphasis added)

      1384 Wycliffe in Modern English - And at once Abimelech stiled by night, and cleped his servants, and spake all these words in the ears of them; and all men dreaded greatly.

      1898 Douay-Rheims - And Abimelech forthwith rising up in the night, called all his servants: and spoke all these words in their hearing, and all the men were exceedingly afraid.

      1611 KJV; 1982 MKJV - And Abimelech rose early in the morning, and called all his servants, and told all these things in their ears. And the men were greatly afraid.

      Genesis 22:3 (emphasis added)

      1384 Wycliffe in Modern English - Therefore Abraham stiled by night, and saddled his ass, and led with him two young men, and Isaac his fitz; and when he had hewn trees into burnt sacrifice, he geed to the place which Yahuah had commanded to him.

      1898 Douay-Rheims - So Abraham rising up in the night, saddled his ass, and took with him two young men, and Isaac his son: and when he had cut wood for the holocaust, he went his way to the place which God had commanded him.

      1611 KJV; 1982 MKJV - And Abraham rose up early in the morning, and saddled his ass, and took two of his young men with him, and Isaac his son. And he split the wood for the burnt offering, and rose up and went to the place of which God had told him.

      Genesis 31:55 (emphasis added)

      1384 Wycliffe in Modern English - Forsooth Laban stiled by night, and kissed his fitzes, and fillies, and blessed them, and turned again into his place.

      1898 Douay-Rheims - But Laban arose in the night, and kissed his sons and daughters, and blessed them: and returned to his place.

      1611 KJV; 1982 MKJV - And early in the morning Laban rose up, and kissed his sons and his daughters, and blessed them. And Laban departed and returned to his place.

      Exodus 34:4 (emphasis added)

      1384 Wycliffe in Modern English -Therefore Moses hewed two tables of stone, which manner tables were before, and he stiled by night, and stiled into the hill of Sinai, as Yahuah commanded to him; and he bear with him the tables.

      1611 KJV; 1982 MKJV - And he cut out two tablets of stone like the first. And Moses rose up early in the morning and went up to Mount Sinai , as Jehovah had commanded him, and took in his hand the two tablets of stone.

      Joshua 3:1 (emphasis added)

      1384 Wycliffe in Modern English - Therefore Yahshua stiled by night, and moved tabernacles; and they geed out from Shechem, and came to Jordan, he and all the fitzes of Israel , dwelt there three days.

      1898 Douay-Rheims - And Josue rose before daylight, and removed the camp: and they departed from Setim, and came to the Jordan : he, and all the children of Israel , and they abode there for three days.

      1611 KJV; 1982 MKJV - And Joshua rose early in the morning. And they moved from Shittim and came to Jordan, he and all the sons of Israel , and lodged there before they passed over.

      Ruth 3:14 (emphasis added)

      1384 Wycliffe in Modern English - Therefore she (Ruth) slept at his (Boaz’s) feet unto the going away of night, and so she stiled before that men knew themselves together. And Boaz said to her, Be thou aware lest any man know, that thou came hither.

      1898 Douay-Rheims - So she (Ruth) slept at his (Boaz’s) feet till the night was going off. And she arose before men could know one another, and Booz said: Beware lest any man know that thou camest hither.

      1901 ASV; 1917 JPS OT - And she lay at his feet until the morning. And she rose up before one could discern another. For he said, Let it not be known that the woman came to the threshing floor.

      1611 KJV; 1982 MKJV - And she lay at his feet until the morning. And she rose up before one could know another. And he said, Do not let it be known that a woman came to the floor.

      1998 The Scriptures - And she lay at his feet until morning, and she arose before one could recognize another. And he said, “Let it not be known that the woman came to the threshing-floor.”

      From the context of 1st Samuel 29:10 Morning is a time of Night/Darkness before Daylight. It is clearly seen that Morning is misused in v.11. Morning is also misused in 1st Kings 3:21. James Strong says that boqer (Hebrew # 1242) is properly defined as dawn; (the) morrow; adverbially tomorrow.

      1 Samuel 29:10,11 (emphasis added)

      1384 Wycliffe in Modern English 10] Therefore stile thou early, thou, and thy servants that came with thee; and when ye have stiled by night, and it begins to be clear, go ye. 11] Therefore David stiled by night, he and his men that they should go forth early, and turn again to the land of Philistines ; soothly Philistines stiled into Jezreel.

      1898 Douay- Rheims 10] Therefore arise in the morning, thou, and the servants of thy lord, who came with thee: and when you are up before day, and it shall begin to be light, go on your way. 11] So David and his men arose in the night that they might set forward in the morning [H # 1242 boqer], and returned to the land of the Philistines: and the Philistines went up to Jezrahel.

      1611 KJV; 1982 MKJV 10] And now, rise up early in the morning with your master's servants who have come with you. And as soon as you have light, depart. 11] And David and his men rose up early to leave in the morning [H # 1242 boqer], to return into the land of the Philistines. And the Philistines went up to Jezreel.

      1st Kings 3:19-21 (emphasis added)

      1384 Wycliffe in Modern English 19] Forsooth the fitz of this feme was dead in the night, for she slept, and oppressed him; 20] and she stiled in the fourth part of the night in silence, and took mine fitz from the side of me, thine wench sleeping, and set in her bosom; forsooth she put in mine bosom her fitz, that was dead. 21] And when I had stiled early, to give milk to mine fitz, he appeared dead; whom I beheld more diligently by clear light, and perceived, that he was not mine, whom I had gendered.

      1898 Douay- Rheims 19] And this woman's child died in the night: for in her sleep she overlaid him. 20] And rising in the dead time of the night, she took my child from my side, while I, thy handmaid, was asleep, and laid it in her bosom: and laid her dead child in my bosom. 21] And when I arose in the morning, to give my child suck, behold it was dead: but considering him more diligently, when it was clear day, I found that it was not mine which I bore.

      1611 KJV & 1982 Modern KJV 19] And this woman's child died in the night, because she laid on it. 20] And she arose at midnight and took my son from beside me, while your servant was sleeping, and laid it in her bosom, and laid her dead child in my bosom. 21] When I arose in the morning to give my child suck, behold, it was dead. And when I had looked at it in the morning [H # 1242 boqer], behold, it was not my son whom I bore.

      Note - It was only in Late Anglo Saxon time; sometime between the mid 5th Century - mid 11th Century; that the definition of Day was expanded to mean a 24 Hour Cycle. (see etymology of Day on pg 9) The definition of a 24 Hour Day did not exist until sometime after the Anglo Saxon Conquest of England in 455 & before the Norman Conquest of England in1066.

      As inventions go, the change in definition of a Day to include the 12 Hours of Night is a relatively recent one, coming some 600-700 Years after the Catholic Church claimed responsibility for redefining Sabbath observance from Saturday to Sunday with the edict of Constantine in 32I; even though historical evidence shows that Sunday worship had already been widely practiced by other churches outside of Israel by the beginning of the 2nd Century.

      It is significant that the definition of a 24 Hour Day did not exist until sometime after the mid 5th Century. When we are told to “Remember the Sabbath Day to keep it Holy” (Exodus 20:8) we are not being told to keep the 7th Day Sabbath for any period of 24 Hours - NOT from Sunset-to-Sunset, AND NOT from Sunrise-to-Sunrise - but ONLY the 12 Scriptural Hours from Sunrise-to-Sunset. (see etymology of Day on pg 9)

      Exodus 20:8-10 (1982 MKJV)

      8] Remember the Sabbath day (H # 3117 yom) [the daylight hours], to keep it holy. 9] Six days (H # 3117 yom) [the daylight hours] you shall labor and do all your work. 10] But the seventh day (H # 3117 yom) [the daylight hours] is the Sabbath [rest from labor] of Jehovah your God. You shall not do any work, you, nor your son, nor your daughter, your manservant, nor your maidservant, nor your cattle, nor your stranger within your gates.

      (emphasis & Strong’s definitions added)

      Psalm 104:20-23 (1899 YLT) (emphasis added)

      20] Thou settest darkness, and it is night, In it doth every beast of the forest creep. 21] The young lions are roaring for prey, And to seek from God their food. 22] The sun riseth, they are gathered, And in their dens they crouch. 23] Man goeth forth to his work, And to his service -- till evening.

      Knowing that the original definition of a Day is the 12 Warm Hours of Daylight adds clarity to the words of Yahusha (Iesus/Jesus) in John 11:9.

      John 11:9 (1982 MKJV) (emphasis added)

      9] Jesus answered, Are there not twelve hours in the day? If anyone walks in the day, he does not stumble because he sees the light of the world.

      Letting Scripture define itself, John 11:9 also clarifies the understanding of the following references to the 7th Day & Sabbath Day as 12 Hour periods:

      7th Day

      Sabbath Day

    • PWC