[TheTrueSabbathsAndNewMoons] Work Day & Sabbath Day Defined

  • PWC
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 15, 2010

    Greetings Brother Arnold,

    The post below dated Aug 8th just showed up with some others of the same vintage. Getting beyond the unintended delay, I would like to share what I have compiled on the Keeping of the Gates of Jerusalem & the Temple that proves the 7th Day Weekly Sabbath of Rest to be from Sunrise to Sunset. It is attached in pdf. Please, everyone, read through it, and post your comments.

    YashaNa.

    Br. Paul

    Message 2 of 2 , Oct 26, 2010

      Greetings Br. Arnold,

      Well .... now that I have stumbled into the right century of technology .... I am posting what did not show up when I sent an email into the old forum format on Sept 15. I would appreciate any feedback or comments.

      All Text and References are available in Modules of e-Sword, a free Bible Study program, that can be downloaded at http://www.e-sword.net  Thee-Sword compatible Module of the 1998 The Scriptures from the Scripture Research Institute in South Africa is available from their website at http://www.isr-messianic.org/

      Work Day & Sabbath Day Defined

      Amos 3:3(1899 Douay-Rheims)

      3] Shall twowalk together except they be agreed?

       2 Timothy 2:23-26 (1852 Murdock NT translated from theSyriac Peshita)

      23] Avoid those foolish discussionswhich afford no instruction; for thou know, that they generate contests. 24]And a servant of our Lord ought not to contend, but to be mild towards everyone, and instructive, and patient; 25] that with mildness he may enlightenthose who dispute against him, if perhaps God may give them repentance, andthey may acknowledge the truth, 26] and may recollect themselves, and mayescape out of the snare of Satan, at whose pleasure they have been heldensnared.

       2 Timothy 4:2-5 (1995 ContemporaryEnglish Version)

      2] … preach God's message. Do itwillingly, even if it isn't the popular thing to do. You must correct peopleand point out their sins. But also cheer them up, and when you instruct them,always be patient. 3] The time is coming when people won't listen to goodteaching. Instead, they will look for teachers who will please them by tellingthem only what they are itching to hear. 4] They will turn from the truth andeagerly listen to senseless stories. 5] But you must stay calm and be willingto suffer. You must work hard to tell the good news and to do your job well.

       What follows will educate the reader thatthe Levites of Jerusalem kept the Holy 7th DaySabbath of Rest from Labor from Sunrise to Sunset.

       Ezekiel 22:26 (1982 Modern KJV)

      26] Her priests have broken My Law andhave defiled My holy things. They have put no difference between the holy andthe common…. and have hidden their eyes from My Sabbaths, and I am defiledamong them.

       Nowadays it has become accepted tounquestioningly follow traditional Jewish - in this case Pharisaic â€" doctrinalinterpretation held by professed believers and followers of our Messiah Yahusha(Iesus/Jesus). When one actually looks past these traditional beliefs andproves all things, then a much clearer picture is seen.

       Since the Pharisees usurped the Temple Priesthood there has been confusion on reckoning the Daily Cycle and the Calendar. When itcomes to “Remembering the Sabbath” there has been added by men, the observanceof a Common Nightly Time of Rest. Night has NEVER been a part of the Holy 7thDay Sabbath of Rest from Labor. Our Clergymen do not make discernment betweenthe Holy Rest from Labor on the Day of Sabbath and the Common Rest of SleepEvery Night. But they should ….

       Ezekiel 44:23 (1982 Modern KJV)

      23] And they shallteach My people to discern between the holy and common ….

       Time and again we are told not to ADD toYahuah’s (Jehovah’s) word. We are not to extend the Holy Sabbath of Rest fromLabor by adding observance of any Common Night Time Hours of Rest to it.

       Deuteronomy 4:2 (1998 The Scriptures)

      2] Do not add to the Word which Icommand you, and do not take away from it, so as to guard the commands of י×"ו×" (YHWH/Yahuah)your Elohim which I am commanding you.

       Deuteronomy 12:32 (2001 English StandardVersion)

      32] Everything that I command you, you shallbe careful to do. You shall not add to it or take from it.

       Proverbs 30:6 (1917 Jewish PublicationSociety OT)

      6] Add thou not unto His words, lest Hereprove thee, and thou be found a liar.

       Exodus 31:12-17 (1982 Modern KJV)

      12] And Jehovah (Iehouah/Yahuah) spoketo Moses saying, 13] Speak also to the sons of Israel , saying,Truly you shall keep My Sabbaths. For it isa sign between Me and you throughout your generations, to know that I am Jehovah (Iehouah/Yahuah) whosanctifies you. 14] You shall keep the Sabbath therefore, for it is holy to you. Everyone that defiles itshall surely be put to death. For whoever does any work in it, that soul shall be cut off from among his people.15] Six days may work be done, but on the seventh is the Sabbath of rest, holy to Jehovah (Iehouah/Yahuah). Whoever does any work in the Sabbath day, he shall surely be put to death. 16]Therefore the sons of Israel shall keep the Sabbath, to observe the Sabbath throughout their generations, for an everlasting covenant. 17] It is a sign between Me and the sons of Israel forever.For in six days Jehovah (Iehouah/Yahuah) made the heavens and the earth, and onthe seventh day He rested, and was refreshed.

       Many people will cite Leviticus 23:32 tosupport their position that the Holy 7th Day Sabbath of Rest from Labor is 24Hours long, and that it is reckoned from Sunset-to-Sunset. Many will also readit to say that you are to keep your Sabbaths (plural) from Even to Even â€" eventhough this verse of Scripture is in the singular.

       This verse deals specifically with theDay of Atonement. On that Day it was commanded to afflict the soul; specificallyby Fasting. The reason that instructions were given to keep this from the 9thDay at Even until the 10th Day at Even was because of the Evening Meal. It wasthe Main Meal of the Day, and was eaten after the Day’s Labor concluded. Thewhole household was gathered together for the Evening Meal. Skipping theEvening Meal on the 9th began the Fast that continued through the following Daywhen it was broken with the Evening Meal on the 10th. Skipping the Evening Mealon the 9th also eliminated any potential leftovers to tempt the householdbefore the time of the Evening Meal on the 10th.

       1915 International Standard BibleEncyclopedia (ISBE): Meals; Meal-Time

       (1) It was customary among the ancientHebrews, as among their contemporaries in the East in classical lands, to havebut two meals a day. The “morning morsel” or “early snack,” as it is called inthe Talmud, taken with some relish like olives, oil or melted butter, might beused by peasants, fishermen, or even artisans, to “break their fast” (see theone reference to it in the New Testament in John 21:12,15), but this was not atrue meal. …To “eat a meal,” i.e. a full meal, in the morning [i.e. early inthe day] was a matter for grave reproach (Ecclesiastes 10:16). [emphasis inbrackets added]

       (2) The first meal (of “meal-time,”literally, “the time of eating,” Ruth 2:14; Genesis 43:16), according togeneral usage, was taken at or about noon when the climate and immemorialcustom demanded a rest from labor. Peter's intended meal at Joppa, interruptedby the messengers of Cornelius, was at “the sixth hour,” i.e. 12 [Noon]. Itcorresponded somewhat to our modern “luncheon,” but the hour varied accordingto rank and occupation ([Talmud] Shabbath 10a). …To abstain from this meal wasaccounted “fasting” (Judges 20:26; 1 Samuel 14:24).

       (3) The second and main meal (NewTestament, deı́pnon) was taken aboutthe Set of Sun, or a little before or after, when the Day's Work was over andthe laborers had “come in from the field” (Luke 17:7). This is the “suppertime,” the “great supper” of Luke 14:16, the important meal of the day, whenthe whole family was together for the evening. It was the time of the feedingof the multitudes by Jesus (Mark 6:35,36; Matthew 14:15; Luke 9:12), of theeating of the Passover, and of the partaking of the Lord's Supper.

       The Day of Atonement is a SpecialSabbath apart from the Holy 7th Day Sabbath of Rest from Labor. The Holy 7thDay Sabbath of Rest has never been associated with Fasting.

       Leviticus 23:32 (1917 JPS OT)

      32] It shall be unto you a Sabbath (H #7676) of solemn rest (H # 7677), and ye shall afflict your souls; in the ninthday of the month at even, from even unto even, shall ye keep your Sabbath.

       Strong’s Hebrew # 7676 shabbath (shab-bawth') Intensive from H # 7673; intermission,that is, (specifically) the Sabbath: -  (+ every) sabbath.

       Strong’s Hebrew # 7677  shabbathon (shab-baw-thone')From H # 7676; a sabbatism or special holiday: - rest, sabbath.

       Leviticus 23:32 (1995 CEV)

      32] This is a time of complete restjust like the Sabbath, and everyone must go without eating from theevening of the ninth to the evening of the tenth.

       Leviticus 16:29-31 (1995 CEV)

      29] On the tenth day of the seventhmonth of each year, you must go without eating to show sorrowfor your sins, and no one, including foreigners who live among you, is allowedto work. 30] This is the day on which the sacrifice for the forgiveness of yoursins will be made in my presence, 31] and from now on, it must be celebratedeach year. Go without eating and makethis a day of complete rest just like the Sabbath.

       A great manypeople hold that Nehemiah 13:15-21 indicates that the Holy 7th Day Sabbath ofRest from Labor begins with Sunset. After careful examination it will be foundthat it became Dark BEFORE the Sabbath, and NOT that Sabbath began at Dark. Itcan also be definitively determined that the Holy 7th Day Sabbath Rest fromLabor Ends at Sunset, the same time at which Labor concludes on each of the SixCommon Weekly Work Days.

       Nehemiah 13:15-21(1982 Modern KJV)

      15] In those days I (Nehemiah) saw in Judah some treading winepresses on the Sabbath, and bringing in sheaves,and loading asses and also wine, grapes, and figs, and all kinds of burdenswhich they brought into Jerusalem on the Sabbath day. And I testified against them in the day in which theysold food. 16] And men of Tyre lived in it, whobrought fish and all kinds of goods, and sold on the Sabbath to the sons of Judah and in Jerusalem . 17] And I contended with thenobles of Judah and said to them, What evil thing isthis that you do, and defile the Sabbath day? 18] Did not your fathers do this,and did not our God bring all this evil upon us and upon this city? Yet youbring more wrath upon Israel by defiling the Sabbath. 19] And it happened when the gates of Jerusalem began to be dark before the Sabbath, I commandedthat the gates should be shut, and commanded that they should not be openeduntil after the Sabbath [ * ]. And I set someof my servants at the gates, so that there should be no burden brought in onthe Sabbath day. 20] And themerchants and sellers of all kinds of goods stayed the night outside Jerusalem once or twice.21] And I testified against them, and said to them, Why do you stay around thewall [at Night after the Gates are Closed]? If you do so again, I will lay hands on you. From that time on they did notcome on the Sabbath.

       [ * ] In Nehemiah7:3, below, it will be seen that the Gates of Jerusalem were NEVER Open atNight; so the next time the Gates of Jerusalem would have been Opened inNehemiah 13:19 would have been at Sunrise on the 1st Weekly Work Day.

       Nehemiah 7:3 (2001English Standard Version)

      3] And I(Nehemiah) said to them, Let not the gates of Jerusalem be opened untilthe sun is hot. And while they are still standing guard, let them shut and barthe doors. Appoint guards from among the inhabitants of Jerusalem , some at their guard posts and somein front of their own homes.

       Keil &Delitzsch Commentary on the O.T. - Nehemiah 7:1,2- ….. When the wall was built, Nehemiah set up the doors in the gates, tocomplete the fortification of Jerusalem (compare Nehemiah 6:1). Then were the gatekeepers, the singers, and the Levitesentrusted with the care. The care of watching the walls and gates is meant inthis connection. According to ancient appointment, it was the duty of the door keepersto keep watch over the house of God, and to open and close the gates of thetemple courts; compare 1 Chronicles 9:17-19; 26:12-19. …. On Nehemiah 7:3â€"  “The gates of Jerusalem are not to beopened till the sun be hot; and while they (the watch) are yet at their posts,they are to shut the doors and lock them; and ye shall appoint watches of theinhabitants of Jerusalem, some to be at their watch-posts, others before theirhouse.” ….. The sense is: the gates are to be occupied before daybreak by theLevites (singers and other Levites) appointed to guard them, and not openedtill the sun is hot and the watch already at their posts, and to be closed inthe evening before the departure of the watch. …. (parenthetic emphasis intext)

       1Esdras 1:1,2,6,11-14,16,17,19,20 (1769 KJV)

      1] And Josias heldthe feast of the passover in Jerusalem unto his Lord, and offered the passoverthe fourteenth day of the first month; 2] Having setthe priests according to their daily courses, being arrayed in long garments,in the temple of the Lord. 6] Offer the passover in order, and make ready thesacrifices for your brethren, and keep the passover according to thecommandment of the Lord, which was given unto Moses. 11] And according to theseveral dignities of the fathers, before the people, to offer to the Lord, asit is written in the book of Moses: and thus did they in the morning. 12] Andthey roasted the passover with fire, as appertaineth:as for the sacrifices, they sod them in brass pots and pans with a good savour, 13] Andset them before all the people: and afterward they prepared for themselves, and for the priests their brethren, the sons of Aaron.14] For the priests offered the fat until night:and the Levites prepared for themselves, and the priests their brethren, thesons of Aaron. 16] Moreover the porters were at every gate; it was notlawful for any to go from his ordinary service: for their brethren the Levitesprepared for them. 17] Thus were the thingsthat belonged to the sacrifices of the Lord accomplished in that day, that theymight hold the passover, 19] So the children ofIsrael which were present held the passover at that time, and the feast ofsweet bread seven days. 20] And such a passover was not kept in Israel sincethe time of the prophet Samuel.

       1901Smith's Bible Dictionary - Gate: …..Regarded, therefore, as positions of great importance, the gates of cities werecarefully guarded, and closed at nightfall. ... Joshua 2:5,7; Judges 9:40,44

       1973 Treasury ofScripture Knowledge (TSK) Nehemiah 7:3 - Let not the gates:This is, the gates were not to be opened till Sunrise , and to be shut at Sunset; which isstill the custom in many cities of the East. If a traveler arrives after Sunset,he finds the gates shut, and on no consideration will they open them tillmorning [i.e. H # 1242 Boqer â€" the Morrow/Next Day]. [bracketed emphasis added]

       Joshua2:5,7 (1917 JPS OT)

      5] and it came to pass about the time of the shutting of the gate, when itwas dark, that the men went out; whither the men went I know not; pursue afterthem quickly; for ye shall overtake them.' 7] And the men pursued after themthe way to the Jordan unto the fords; and as soon as they that pursued after them were gone out, thegate was shut.

       Judges 9:40,42 (1982 Modern KJV)

      40] And Abimelech chased him (Gaal),and he fled before him (Abimelech), and many were overthrown and wounded, tothe entrance of the gate. 42] And it happened onthe next day the people went out into the field. ....

       It is a matter offact that the Levites were responsible for the operation and guarding of theGates of Jerusalem and of the Temple . History tells us that the Temple Priests (i.e. Levitical Sadducees) kept a Sunrise to Sunrise reckoning of the 24 HourDaily Cycle, and a Solar Calendar. The same was observed by the Essenes, whowere an off-shoot sect from the Temple Priests that abandoned Jerusalem because of the corruption creeping into the Temple . They recorded theSunrise to Sunrise reckoning of the Daily Cycle and the Solar Calendar in the Dead Sea Scrolls, which were found in 1947.

       1915 International Standard Bible Encyclopedia â€" Day

       dā ( Hebrew yōm; Greek hēméra): This common word has caused sometrouble to plain readers, because they have not noticed that the word is usedin several different senses in the English Bible. When the different uses ofthe word are understood the difficulty of interpretation vanishes. We noteseveral different uses of the word:

       (1) It sometimes means the time from daylight till dark. Thispopular meaning is easily discovered by the context, e.g. Genesis 1:5; 8:22,etc. The marked periods of this daytime were morning, noon and night, as withus. See Psalm 55:17. The early hours were sometimes called “the cool of theday” (Genesis 3:8). After the exile the day. or daytime was divided into twelvehours and the night into twelve (see Matthew 20:1-12; John 11:9; Acts 23:23); 6a.m. would correspond to the first hour, 9 a.m. to the third; 12 noon to thesixth, etc. The hours were longer during the longer days and shorter during theshorter days, since they always counted 12 hours between sunrise and sunset.

       (2) Day also means a period of 24 hours. .... See DAY AND NIGHT.

       1915 ISBE - Day & Night

       “Day,” yōm; ordinarily, the Hebrew “day” lasted from dawn to the coming forth of thestarts (Nehemiah 4:21). The context usually makes it clear whether the term“day” refers to the period of twenty-four hours or to daytime; when there was apossibility of confusion, the term, laylāh, “night,” was added(Genesis 7:4,12; 31:39). The “day” is reckoned from evening to evening, inaccordance with the order noted in the account of Creation, namely, “And therewas evening and there was morning, one day” (Genesis 1:5); Leviticus 23:32 andDaniel 8:14 reflect the same mode of reckoning the day. The phrase ‛erebh bōker, “evening-morning,”used in this last passage, is simply a variation of yōm and laylāh, “day” and “night”;it is the equivalent of the Greek  nuchthḗmeron (2 Corinthians11:25). That the custom of reckoning the day as beginning in the evening andlasting until the following evening was probably of late origin is shown by thephrase “tarry all night” (Judges 19:6-9); the context shows that the day isregarded as beginning in the morning; in the evening the day “declined,” anduntil the new day (morning) arrived it was necessary to “tarry all night”(compare also Numbers 11:32).

       The transition of day to night begins beforesunset and lasts till after sunset; the change of night to day begins beforesunrise and continues until after sunrise. In both cases, neither ‛erebh,“evening,” nor bōḳer, “morning,” indicate an exact space of time (compare Genesis 8:11; Exodus10:13; Deuteronomy 16:6). The term  nesheph,is used for both evening twilight and morning dawn (compare 1 Samuel 30:17; 2Kings 7:5,7; Job 7:4). Since there were no definite measurements of the time ofday, the various periods were indicated by the natural changes of the day; Thus“midday” was the time of the day when the sun mounted its highest (cohŏrāyim); afternoon was thatpart of the day when the sun declined (neṭōth ha-yōm); and evening wasthe time of the going down of the sun ('erebh). “Between the evenings” (bēn hā-‛arbayim') was the intervalbetween sunset and darkness. The day was not divided into hours until a lateperiod. Shā‛āh = Aramaic (Daniel3:6), is common in Syriac and in later Hebrew; it denoted, originally, anyshort space of time, and only later came to be equivalent to our “hour”(Driver). The threefold division of the day into watches continued intopost-exilic Roman times; but the Roman method of four divisions was also known(Mark 13:35), where all four divisions are referred to: “at even” (opsé),“midnight” (mesonúktion), “at cock crowing” (alektorophōnı́a), “in the morning” (prōı́). These lastextended from six to six o'clock (of also Matthew 14:25; Mark 13:35). Acts 12:4speaks of four parties of four Roman soldiers (quaternions), each of whom hadto keep guard during one watch of the night. In Berākhōth 3b, RabbiNathan (2nd century) knows of only three night-watches; but the patriarch,Rabbi Judah, knows four. See also DAY.

       Every Work Day in Jerusalem began when the Gates were Opened at Sunrise and concludedwith the Closing of the Gates at Sunset. The Holy 7th Day Sabbath of Rest fromLabor also began when the Gates Opened at Sunrise and concluded with the Closing of the Gates at Sunset. It is understood fromNehemiah 7:3 that the Gates of Jerusalem were Closed EVERY Night. Every Night is a COMMON Time of Rest.

       This is the DailyWork Pattern practiced by Yahusha (Iesus/Jesus); who is our perfect example ineverything; recorded in Luke 21:37 and found in Psalm 104:20-23, and is alsodemonstrated in Genesis 30:16; Judges 19:16; Ruth 2:2,14,17 & Nehemiah4:21-23.

       As above, Nothingabout the Common Nightly Time of Rest was ever sanctified, or otherwise madeHoly â€" save for the Day of Atonement as the only exception. To say so is to addto the Word of Yahuah (Iehouah/Jehovah), making no distinction between the Holyand the Common.

       Luke 21:37 (1852Murdock NT)

      37] And, in the daytime he (Yahusha/Iesus/Jesus) taught in the temple, and atnight he went out and lodged in the mount, called the Place of Olives.

       Psalm 104:20-23(1769 KJV)

      20] Thou makedarkness, and it is night: wherein all the beasts of the forest do creep forth. 21] The young lions roar aftertheir prey, and seek their meat from God. 22] The sunarises, they gather themselves together, and lay them down in their dens. 23] Mangoes forth unto his work and to his labor (H # 5656 abodah) until the evening.

       Psalm 104:20-23(1898 Young’s Literal Translation)

      20] Thou setdarkness, and it is night, In it doth every beast of the forest creep. 21] Theyoung lions are roaring for prey, And to seek from God their food. 22] The sun rises, they are gathered, And in their dens they crouch. 23]Man goes forth to his work, And to hisservice -- till evening.

       Strong’s Hebrew # 5656 abodah(ab-o-daw') From H # 5647; work of any kind: - act, bondage, + bondservant,effect, labor, ministering (-try), office, service (-ile, -itude), tillage,use, work, X wrought.

      Genesis 30:16 (1568Bishops in Modern English)

      16] And Jacob came from the field at even, and Leah went out to meet him, andsaid: thou shall come in to me, for I have bought thee indeed with my son'sMandrakes. And he slept with her that same night.

       Judges 19:9,12-16(1995 CEV)

      9] Finally, theLevite got up from the meal, so he and his wife and servant could leave."Look," his father-in-law said, "it's already late afternoon,and if you leave now, you won't get very far before dark. Stay with us one morenight and enjoy yourself. Then you can get up earlytomorrow morning and start home." 12] ..... We'll stop for the night atGibeah, 13] because we can make it to Gibeah or maybe even to Ramah beforedark." 14] They walked on and reached Gibeah in the territory of Benjamin just after sunset. 15] They left the road and went into Gibeah. But the Levitecouldn't find a house where anyone would let them spend the night, and they satdown in the open area just inside the town gates. 16] Soon an old man came in through the gates on his way home from workingin the fields. ...

       Ruth 2:7,14,17(1917 JPS OT)

      7] And she (Ruth)said, I pray you (Boaz), let me glean and gather after the reapers among thesheaves: so she (Ruth) came, and hath continued evenfrom the morning (H # 1242 boqer â€" dawn/break of day) until now, that shetarried a little in the house. 14] And Boaz said unto her, At meal time (i.e.mid day/noon) come thou hither, and eat of the bread, and dip thy morsel in thevinegar. And she sat beside the reapers: and he reached her parched corn, and she did eat, and was sufficed, and left. 17] So she gleaned in the field until even; andshe beat out that which she had gleaned, and it was about an ephah of barley.

       Nehemiah 4:21-23(1889 Darby)

      21] And we labored in the work; and half of them held the spears from the rising of the dawn till the starsappeared. 22] Likewise at the same time I said to the people, Let every onewith his servant lodge within Jerusalem ,that in the night they may be a guard to us, and be for labor in the day. 23] And neither I, nor my brethren, nor myservants, nor the men of the guard that followed me, none of us put off ourgarments: ....

       Nehemiah 4:21-23(1995 CEV)

      21] Every day from dawn to dark, half of the workers rebuilt the walls,while the rest stood guard with their spears. 22] I (Nehemiah) asked the men incharge and their workers to stay inside Jerusalem and stand guard at night. So they guarded the city at night and worked duringthe day. 23] I even slept in my workclothes at night; my children, the workers, and the guards slept in theirs aswell. ....

       We find that theGate of the Inner Court of the Temple was NEVER Open at Night, that it was ALWAYS Closed Every Night. It was alsoClosed the Six Common Weekly Work Days through the Daylight Hours of Labor, butit was Opened on the Holy 7th Day Sabbath of Rest from Labor. The evidence isthat the Inner Gate of the Temple would have been Opened on the Holy 7th DaySabbath Rest from Labor at Sunrise and it would have Closed at Sunset.

       Ezekiel 46:1 (1982Modern KJV)

      1] So says theLord Jehovah (Iehouah/Yahuah): The gate of theinner court that faces eastward shall be shut the six working days. But on theSabbath it shall be opened, …..

       1973 Treasury ofScripture Knowledge (TSK) on Ezekiel 46:1 â€"  The gate: The prophet (Ezekiel) had beforeobserved that the east gate of the outer court was shut, and was told that itmust only be opened for the prince; and now he (Ezekiel) is informed that the gate of the inner court on the east wasalso shut, and is to be opened only on the Sabbath and new moons, till theevening.

       With the knowledgethat the East Gate of the Temple were Never Open at Night, we can understand fromthe above TSK excerpt  that the SixCommon Weekly Working Days were 12 Hours of Daylight each - from Sunrise toSunset - the same 12 Hours of Daylight referred to by Yahusha (Iesus/Jesus) inJohn 11:9; which harmonizes perfectly with what Yahusha (Iesus/Jesus) said inJohn 9:4. This all testifies that Night was NOT part of the Holy 7th DaySabbath Rest from Labor â€" if it had been the East Gate of the Temple would havebeen Opened at Night so that the Priests and Levites could fulfill their duties,but according to the Word of Yahuah (Jehovah) such was not the case.

       Below we see thatJeremiah admonished the Kings of Judah in all the Gates of Jerusalem not to carry anyburdens, nor bring them in or out of the Gates of Jerusalem on the Sabbath Day. From the aboveinformation we know that this carrying of burdens had to occur during theDaylight Hours, because the Gates of Jerusalem were always Closed at Night. This is exactly the same situation as found inNehemiah 13:15-21. Nehemiah Closed the Gates of Jerusalem as it was getting Dark BEFORE theSabbath came at Dawn.

       Jeremiah 17:19-22(1982 Modern KJV)

      19] So Jehovah(Iehouah/Yahuah) said to me (Jeremiah): Go and stand in the gates of the sonsof the people, by which the kings of Judah come in, and by which they go out, and in all the gates of Jerusalem . 20] And say to them, Hear the Wordof Jehovah (Iehouah/Yahuah), kings of Judah ,and all Judah , and all thepeople of Jerusalem who enter in by these gates! 21] So says Jehovah (Iehouah/ Yahuah), Take heedto yourselves, and carry no burden on the Sabbath day, nor bring it in by the gates of Jerusalem . 22] Nor carry out a burden fromyour houses on the Sabbath day, nor do any work, but keep the Sabbath day holy,as I (Yahuah/Iehouah /Jehovah) commanded your fathers.

       From Matthew,below, we see that the Holy 7th Day Sabbath of Rest from Labor has Ended atSunset with the Close of the Evening. This harmonizes with the Closing of theGates of Jerusalem and of the Temple at Sunset.

       Matthew 28:1 (1998The Scriptures)

      1] Now after the Sabbath, toward dawn on the first day of the week, Miryam fromMagdala and the other Miryam came to see the tomb.

       Matthew 28:1 (1852Murdock NT)

      1] And in the close [evening] of the Sabbath, as the first [day] of the weekbegan to dawn, came Mary of Magdala and the other Mary, to view the sepulcher.[bracketed emphasis in text from e-Sword]

       1973 Treasury ofScripture Knowledge (TSK): Matthew 28:1 the end: The Hebrew word Shabbath fromwhich our English word [Sabbath] is derived, signifies rest, and is applied toall solemn festivals, equally with that one day of every week devoted to theworship of God; Ezekiel 20:21, "they polluted my Sabbaths." Threeevangelists say, the transaction recorded in this verse, occurred upon thefirst day of the week, early in the morning, about Sun-rising, and John says,while it was yet Dark. [Strong's G # 3796] [ * 1 ], [Strong's G # 4521] [ * 2 ],does not signify "in the evening of Sabbath," but"Sabbaths." Hence, the great feast having been concluded, the term"end of the Sabbaths" denotes the time very clearly. Again, it may beobserved that the Jews, speaking of their Passover, sometimes speak accordingto their civil computation, wherein they [ * 3 ] measured their days fromSun-rising to Sun-rising. Sometimes according to their [Babylonian/Pharisaic*]sacred computation, which was from Sunset- to-Sunset. [ * emphasis added] Seealso Mark 16:1-2; Luke 23:56 (below)

       [ * 1 ] Strong’sGreek # 3796 opse (op-seh') From thesame as G # 3694 (through the idea of backwardness);(adverbially) late in the day; byextension after the close of the day: -(at) even, in the end.

       [ * 2 ] Strong’s Greek # 4521 sabbaton (sab'-bat-on) Of Hebrew origin [H #7676]; the Sabbath (that is, Shabbath), or day of weekly repose from secular avocations (also theobservance or institution itself); by extension a se'nnight, that is, the interval between two Sabbaths; likewise theplural in all the above applications: - sabbath (day), week.

       [ * 3 ] It was the Pharisees who hadadopted reckoning of the 24 Hour Daily Cycle of Sunset-to-Sunset from theBabylonians. The Temple Priests (Levitical Sadducees) always kept a Sunrise-to-Sunrise reckoningof the 24 Hour Daily Cycle. Again, the Essenes were an off-shoot of theLevitical Sadducee Temple Priests. In theDead Sea Scrolls, not only is the Sunrise-to-Sunrise 24 Hour Daily Cycle found, but also the Temple Solar Calendar. Both were supplanted by the Pharisees when they usurped the Temple Priesthood before the birth of Yahusha (Iesus/Jesus). Once in power, the Pharisees imposedthe Babylonian Sunset-to-Sunset reckoning of the 24 Hour Daily Cycle. They alsoimposed the Babylonian 19 Year Metonic Lunar Calendar. The operation of thisLunar Calendar was kept secret from the common people until 358/359 CE, whenfor political reasons the Pharisaic Rabbinate made it public, They did so in aneffort to stem their losses to Messianic conversion.

       Mark 16:1,2 (1998The Scriptures)

      1] And when the Sabbath was past, Miryam from Magdala, and Miryam the mother of Ya’aqob, and Shelomah boughtspices, to go and anoint Him. 2] And very early on the first day of the week,they came to the tomb when the sun had risen.

       Below, it was thePreparation Day and Still Dark when this Sabbath BEGAN TO DAWN.

       Luke 23:50-56(1852 Murdock NT)

      50] And there wasa certain man, whose name was Joseph, a counselor, from Ramath a city ofJudaea, who was a good man and righteous; 51] and he had not consented to theirdecision and deed; and he was waiting for the kingdom of God. 52] This man wentto Pilate, and begged the body of Jesus. 53] And he took it down, and wrappedit in a winding-sheet of linen; and laid it in an excavated sepulcher, in whichno one had hitherto been laid. 54] And it was the day of preparation, and theSabbath began to dawn. 55] And those women who came with him from Galilee , approached, and viewed the sepulcher, and themanner in which the body was deposited. 56] And they returned, and preparedperfumes and aromatics; and they rested on the Sabbath, as it is commanded.

       In Acts 17:1-2 wefind that on three Sabbaths Paul discoursed with the Jews in the Synagogue atThessalonica.

       Acts 17:1-2 (1982Modern KJV)

      1] And travelingthrough Amphipolis and Apollonia, they (Paul &Silas) came to Thessalonica, where there was a synagogue of the Jews. 2] Andaccording to Paul's custom, he went in to them and reasoned with them out ofthe Scriptures on three Sabbaths [1],

       [1] The samephrase “on three Sabbaths” is found in the 1889 Darby; 1898 LiteralTranslation; 1998 The Scriptures & the 2001 English Standard Version.

       Acts 17:1-2 (1769KJV)

      1] Now when theyhad passed through Amphipolis and Apollonia, they came to Thessalonica, wherewas a synagogue of the Jews: 2] And Paul, as his manner was went in unto them,and three Sabbath days [ 1 ]; [ 2 ]; [ 3 ]; [ 4 ] reasoned with them out of thescriptures,

       [1] The samephrase “three Sabbath days” is also found in the 1568 Bishops; 1587 Geneva ; 1899 Douay-Rheims& 1901 American Standard Version.

       [2] John 11:9(1769 KJV) Jesus (Yahusha) answered, Are there not twelve hours in THE day?

       [3] Luke 13:14-16(1901 ASV)

      14] And the rulerof the synagogue, being moved with indignation because Jesus (Yahusha) hadhealed on the Sabbath, answered and said to the multitude, There are six daysin which men ought to work: in them therefore come and be healed, and not onthe day of the Sabbath. 15] But the Lord answered him, and said, Ye hypocrites,doth not each one of you on the Sabbath loose his ox or his ass from the stall,and lead him away to watering? 16] And ought not this woman, being a daughterof Abraham, whom Satan had bound, lo, theseeighteen years, to have been loosed from this bond on the day of the Sabbath?

       [4] Matthew 12:5(1769 KJV)

      5](Yahusha/Iesus/Jesus speaking) Or have ye not readin the law, that on the Sabbath day the priests in the temple ( * ) profane(i.e. work on) the Sabbath, and are guiltless?

       ( * ) The EastGate of the Temple was Closed during the Six Common Weekly Work Days. It was never Open at Night;but it was Open on the Holy 7th Day Sabbath of Rest from Labor from Sunrise toSunset â€" review Ezekiel 46:1 above.

      John 9:4 (1998 TheScriptures) (see also 1898 YLT)

      4] It is necessary for Me to work the works of Him who sent Me while it isday â€" night is coming, when no one is able to work.

       We are not free todeem ANY Hour of Common Nightly Rest as Holy. Yahuah (Jehovah) has made EveryNight a Common Time of Rest. For us to proclaim Holy that which He has madeCommon is to play right into the hands of Satan. Satan undoubtedly will deceivemany with drastic error like deceiving people into believing that the 1stWeekly Work Day is a Holy Rest instead of the Holy 7th Day Sabbath of Rest fromLabor; but he doesn’t NEED to. Subtle, smooth sounding errors are enough tocause well meaning people to become ensnared in the trap of error.

       Genesis 3:1 (1917JPS OT)

      1] Now the serpentwas more subtle (H # 6175 arum) than any beast of the field which the LORD Godhad made.

       Strong’s Hebrew #6175 ערוּם arum (aw-room') Passiveparticiple of H # 6191; cunning(usually in a bad sense): - crafty, prudent, subtil.

       1828 Webster’sDictionary of American English: Subtil

      SUB’TIL [ L. subtilis. This word isoften written subtle, but less properly. ]

      1. Thin; not dense or gross; as subtilair; subtil vapor; a subtil medium.

      2. Nice; fine;delicate.

      I do distinguishplain

      Each subtil lineof her immortal face.

      3. Acute;piercing; as subtil pain.

      4. Sly; artful; cunning; crafty; insinuating; as a subtil person; a subtiladversary.

      5. Planned by art; deceitful; as asubtil scheme.

      6. Deceitful; treacherous.

      7. Refined; fine; acute; as a subtilargument.

       Leviticus 23:1-3(1982 Modern KJV)

      1] And Jehovah(Iehouah/Yahuah) spoke to Moses, saying, 2] Speak to the sons of Israel and sayto them, The feasts of Jehovah (Iehouah/ Yahuah),which you shall proclaim, holy convocations, even these are My appointed feasts.3] [The first is the Sabbath] Sixdays shall work be done, but the seventh day is the Sabbath of rest, aholy convocation. You shall not do any work. It is a Sabbath to Jehovah (Iehouah/Yahuah) in all your dwellings.[emphasis in brackets added]

       1897 Easton'sBible Dictionary: Festivals, Religious - There weredaily (Leviticus 23), weekly, monthly, and yearly festivals, and great stresswas laid on the regular observance of them in every particular (Numbers 28:1-8;Exodus 29:38-42; Leviticus 6:8-23; Exodus 30:7-9; 27:20).

       ( 1 ) Theseptenary festivals were,

      ( a ) The weeklySabbath (Leviticus 23:1-3; Exodus 19:3-30; 20:8-11; 31:12, etc.). …..

       1. ObservancesCommon to All

      The pre-exilicfestivals were “holy convocations” (Leviticus 23; Numbers 28). …. They were alllikened to the weekly Sabbath as days of rest, on which there must be completesuspension of all ordinary work (Leviticus 16:29; 23:7,8,21,24,25,28,35,36).

       Notice all of whatis said in Easton ’sBible Dictionary on Day of Atonement; that Leviticus 23:26-32 deals ONLY withobservance of the Day of Atonement as the ONLY Commanded Fast. The Holy 7th DaySabbath of Rest from Labor has NEVER been a time of Fasting.

       Atonement, Day Of:

      The great annual day of humiliation andexpiation for the sins of the nation, “the fast” (Acts 27:9), and the only onecommanded in the law of Moses. The mode of its observance is described in Leviticus16:3-10; 23:26-32; and Numbers 29:7-11.

      It was kept on the tenth day of themonth Tisri, i.e., five days before the feast of Tabernacles, and lasted fromsunset to sunset.

       Daniel 7:25 (1998The Scriptures)

      25] and it speakswords against the Most High, and it wears out the set-apart ones (saints) ofthe Most High, and it intends to change appointed times [ 1 ] and law [ 2 ],and they are given into its hand for a time and times and half a time.Footnotes [provided in electronic, but not printed text]:

       [ 1 ] This isanother word for festivals.

       [ 2 ] Changing thelaw amounts to lawlessness. Read in 2 Thessalonians 2:3-12 about “the lawlessone” and the “lawlessness” which would take over (indeed, it has already takenover!) in the set-apart place, and also about Messiah’s judgment upon thelawless “prophets” in Matthew 7:23, and the lawless “believers” in Matthew13:41!

       Since the early4th Century CE it has been well known that Sunday Keeping is and always hasbeen erroneous and false doctrine of the Papal Church of Rome . That is when they co-mingled Paganpractices with True doctrine in a political move to control the masses ofcommon people through compromise. The Papal Church of Rome declared the Common 1st Weekly Work Dayto be their Holy Day of Rest from Labor. There is an equally serious error ofman attempting to make the Common Nightly Rest of Sleep a Holy Time of Rest â€"i.e. an addendum - to the Holy 7th Day Sabbath of Rest from Labor when Yahuah (IehouahJehovah)had not.

       Having examinedall of the evidence above it can now be recognized and understood that Each andEvery Night has Always been a Common Time of Rest of Sleep, and has Never beenConsecrated or Set Apart as Holy. Night was Never given to Man as a Time ofLabor. Night has Never been part of the Holy 7th Day Sabbath Rest from Labor.The Holy 7th Day Sabbath Rest from Labor is observed from Sunrise to Sunset;the same Hours given to Man to do all his Labor on the Six Common Weekly WorkDays. The Holy 7th Day Sabbath Rest from Labor is a Feast to Yahuah (Jehovah),that we may know Him. Keeping it any other way than from Sunrise to Sunset is to add to -  thereby altering and corrupting - His word.

      YashaNa.

      Br. Paul