Re: [TheTrueSabbathsAndNewMoons] Remember The Sabbath Day - 3

  • Yehochanan Ben-YisraEl
    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 19, 2008
      Rinah asks, Similarly, we may ask: Doesn't the use of Babylonian names testify that we have adopted something of the exile for ourselves, bringing it with us to our land, with no desire to liberate ourselves from it!?
      That is a loaded question. It is loaded since it implies that names such as Nisan are Babylonian. Again, the Babylonian name for their first month is Nisanu--not Nisan.
      Similarity does not imply equivalence.
      If similarity DOES imply equivalence, then this means that names that our Torah uses for the Creator are pagan as well, such as Elyon, El, Elohiym, Qadosh and several others since the Babylonians and Canaanites has similar names for their deities. It would also means that our almanac is corrupted since we determine the new months using the moon just as the pagan nations did.
      I do not know why it is so hard to believe that the Hebrew names for the months are similar to the names of the pagans. Our languages are very similar. Our sacrificial system is similar. Our calendar is similar. Even our tabernacle is made similar to those of the pagans with a court roundabout, holy place and most holy place.
      So, yes, Nisan is similar to Nisanu but is not the same. The word Eden is in the Babylonian language too with the same meaning. Does that means that the Gan Eden is pagan?
      Why don’t we just keep it simple and accept the Torah as it is written. A signature mark of the Sacred Name cult that has spread like wildfire among the messianic movement is the association of everything not Hebrew with paganism. The Torah specifically says what it is and is not pagan. The only thing the Torah associates with paganism are foul actions and calling on false gods. And the Torah lists what the foul actions are in the commandments. There is nothing in there about using pagan names for months. So, as for the months, we are to call them what the Torah calls them.
      It is adding to the Torah to say that a person is in violation of Torah by referring to a month by name that we think is pagan. I even know people who will not refer to the days of the Gregorian week because they think they are pagan. Fine with me. But that is a prime example of religious extremism and something that people in cults do.
      If we are pointing out a foul action that is accepted in the community, then we should support it with Torah. Now our reasoning.
      So, let us stick to the written words of the Torah. We are not to call pagan what YHWH does not call pagan. That is our own think and philosophy at work.