The Nations by the Sun, Israel by the Moon

  • Yehochanan Ben-YisraEl
    Message 1 of 47 , Oct 2, 2008
      Shalom,

      this is an interesting explanation why Israel uses the moon and not the sun to determine the months--the first of the month in particular.  this is from the Zohar--Vol 7. Vayechi,  Section: The Nations by the Sun, Israel by the Moon.

      564. "Yehuda you are he whom your brethren shall praise: your hand shall be on the neck of your enemies" (Beresheet 49:8). Rabbi Yosi opened the discussion saying: "He made the moon for seasons" (Tehilim 104:19). "He made the moon" with which to sanctify the first day of months and new years. The moon never shines but from the sun. When the sun reigns, the moon does not; when the sun is gathered, the moon rules. The moon is of no account, save when the sun is gathered.

      565. The Holy One, blessed be He, made both so that they will shine, as it is written in the verse, "And Elohim set them in the firmament of heaven to give light upon the earth" (Beresheet 1:17), to "let them be for signs," Shabbat CALLED SIGNS, as in "It is a sign" (Shemot 31:17). "And for seasons," the holidays; "and for days," the days of the beginning of the month; "and years" (Beresheet 1:14), are new year days. The nations in the world reckon by the sun and Yisrael by the moon.

      566. This accords with Rabbi Elazar's discourse upon the verse: "You have multiplied the nation, and increased its joy" (Yeshayah 9:2). The "nation" is Yisrael, of whom it says, "For what nation is there so great" (Devarim 4:7) and "a single nation on the earth" (I Divrei Hayamim 17:21). "Its" means 'for it', "increased its joy" of the moon, which light grew for Yisrael's sake. The nations of the world RECKON TIMES BY THE CYCLE OF the sun and Yisrael BY THE CYCLE OF the moon. HE ASKS: Which one is superior, THE RECKONING BY THE SUN OR BY THE MOON? HE REPLIES: Surely the moon is above, and the sun of the peoples of the world is underneath this moon. That sun RECEIVES LIGHT from the moon and illuminates. See the difference between Yisrael and THE NATIONS OF THE WORLD: The children of Yisrael are attached to the moon and linked to the Supernal Sun. They are united with the place which shines by the Supernal Sun and cleave to it, as it is written: "But you that did cleave unto Hashem your Elohim are alive every one of you this day" (Devarim 4:4).

    • Yehochanan Ben-YisraEl
      Message 47 of 47 , Oct 15, 2008
        Shalom Br. Paul,

        I did not say there is not daily cycle. I said that is has not impact on Torah observance. In Torah observance and the almanac in general, everything is based on the day seasons. All of the day numbers refer to the day seasons. Then, the following night is associated with the previous day even though it is not given a date.

        Check out these verses.
        Gen 1:3
        And God said, Let there be light. And there was light.
        Gen 1:4
        And God saw the light that it was good; and God divided between the light and the darkness.
        Gen 1:5
        And God called the light Day, and the darkness he called Night. And there was evening, and there was morning--the first day.

        As we can see, the Day and Night are separated. My dilemma in determining the new moon stemmed from the fact that wanted to attach the following day with the night that the conjunction occurs. But, as we see in Genesis, the day and night are separated.

        So, this is why I say there is not 24 hour day. The Tanakh nor the New Testament ever says that. The New Testament says that there are 12 hours in the day. We can safely assume that the night is also divided in similar fashion. But, I do not see one verse that says that a day and a night is one unit.

        That is the point Carlo has explained over and over. Evening and Morning are the bookends of the day season. The night season is just the time period that separates day seasons. Nothing more.

        In the end, there will be no night--only light. Technically, there will be no day either because day is the opposite of night. So, both concepts will go away. There will only be night. And, no, darkness is not the opposite of light. Darkness does not exists. It merely a state when we are cut off from realization of Light both in the spiritual and corporeal sense of the concept.

        So, as I showed in my post, it is fine if a person accepts a day-night or night-day cycle. The ONLY THING that is important is that everything is based on the day season.

        Shalom,
        Yehochanan