Does God Need Our Sacrifices - 6

  • Rinah Shalom
    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 2, 2009

      Leviticus – chapters 1-5

      Part 6 of 7

      Not How Much But Why

      The second offering mentioned in Leviticus is the Mincha, the flour offering. In terms of bringing something valuable to God, this seems quite measly. It is a small amount of flour, with some oil and spices. Why is it listed second, immediately after the basic burnt offering?

      Furthermore, the section of the Mincha uses an unusual word for person, nefesh, which is also one of the words for “soul.” Why? The answer lies in the basic understanding of what it means to come close to God. God does not need our offerings. It is more about who we are, rather than what God seems to need. What type of person would bring a Mincha? A poor person. For someone like that, even a small flour offering is a great expense. He cannot fool himself that the magnificence of his offering is bribing God. He is truly bringing himself closer to YHVH. As the Rabbis says, “It is irrelevant whether you bring a large amount or a small one, so long as your intention is for Heaven.” And the word used to describe this person is nefesh. This flour offering is so dear to a poor person, that it is considered as if he is offering his very soul.

      Does God Need Our Sacrifices

      Torah Studies: http://rinahshal.tripod.com
      Times of Refreshing I:
      http://rinah--shalom.tripod.com/
      Times of Refreshing II: http://rinah.shalom.tripod.com/
      Moadim - Jewish Holidays: http://rinah-shalom.tripod.com/

    • fillusb@juno.com
      Message 2 of 2 , Nov 3, 2009
        Rinashal,

        Your comments are descriptive and you quote the Sages. Your words incite many questions (because of my x-messianic church experience). Example: Why would anyone, but a Jew, quote from Kabbalah wisdom?

        Do you relate to your readers and answer personal emails?

        Shalom, Tabitha

        Graphic Design Degrees
        Free info on online degrees in Graphic Design, Game Arts or Web Design
        http://thirdpartyoffers.juno.com/TGL2141/c?cp=0LYyeUCK_XJoR-f4AlDd8wAAJ1CXOLcitijjIBxn0mGX2aYsAAQAAAAFAAAAAOkmcT4AAANSAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAABUROAAAAAA=