Does God Need Our Sacrifices - 5

  • Rinah Shalom
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 30, 2009

      Does God Need Our Sacrifices

      Leviticus – chapters 1-5

      Part 5 of 7

      All in The Details

      The potential downside of bringing things to God, is that we get caught up in the numbers game: i.e. How much did I give? Therefore the intricate details of the offerings provide certain safeguards against this misconception. For example, people sometimes think that the ends justify the means.

      In our case, that could take the form of “it’s okay that my offering comes from ‘not kosher’ money, as long as my intention is good. To disavow this notion, the section of offerings begins with the word ‘Adam’: “When an Adam (person) wants to bring an offering…” This hints to the idea that Adam, of all people, understood that he did not acquire from his own effort, but is only returning God’s gift to Him. And just as Adam did not bring an offering from stolen goods – since everything in the world was his – so too we cannot bring offerings from stolen goods.

      Torah Studies: http://rinahshal.tripod.com
      Times of Refreshing I:
      http://rinah--shalom.tripod.com/
      Times of Refreshing II: http://rinah.shalom.tripod.com/