Palmer Rockey - a man for all seasons

  • lama_sivart_doz
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 15, 2002
      Here's a Texas legend as good as Roky Erickson, albeit cut from a
      somewhat different cloth. Palmer Rockey was, it seems, a con man who
      in the late 1970s swindled a bunch of wealthy Dallas ladies
      into "investing" in a movie project that probably never existed.

      In order to give credence to his appearance as a showbiz scenemaker
      he recorded an LP titled "Rockey's Style" which goes way out there in
      the "Incredibly Strange" dimension. The sleeve depicts Rockey as a
      handsome James Garner-type guy with slicked back hair and a polyester
      suit - arguably more used car salesman than Hollywood celebrity.

      The contents of the LP are hard to describe, but it sounds like a guy
      who has a working (not good, but working) voice that has NEVER SUNG
      BEFORE. He's clueless as how to bring any soul or finesse to the
      material, and the stale lounge afternoon atmosphere is heightened by
      a pick-up band of local studio musicians who mechanically deliver
      music in generic styles such as "rock", "funk" and "disco". The song
      lyrics consist mostly of Palmer going "rock, baby, rock" and some odd
      digressions that sound ad libbed.

      The track everyone flips on is "Scarlet Love 666" (or such), which is
      less "rock" and more fullblown creepy lounge, and with extraordinary
      (real) lyrics on how "666 will be king" - obviously very different
      from the rest of the LP, and a true enigma suggesting that Palmer
      Rockey was in fact... well, I'm not sure what he was, but it
      certainly is spooky.

      Someone managed to track Palmer down long ago and inquired about the
      LP & the movie project and was met with the response "Don't ever
      contact me about this again". The LP exists in at least 3 different
      runs with small variations (and errors) that distinguish them. I
      doubt there will ever be a reissue, and in any event this is one of
      those artefacts where the background story is half the fun.

      Disclaimer: much of this is based on hearsay and rumors from the
      loungepsych collector underworld.

      // Patrick
    • Andrew Brown
      Message 2 of 3 , Feb 15, 2002
        >"lama_sivart_doz" wrote:
        >
        >Disclaimer: much of this is based on hearsay and rumors from the
        >loungepsych collector underworld.

        "Loungepsych"?

        No comment.

        AB

      • lama_sivart_doz
        Message 3 of 3 , Feb 15, 2002
          It's "loungepsych" baby - that's what's happening!

          I'm gonna find some Texas connection on the Kaplan Brothers and I'm
          gonna post on them too, much in the same way that David Shutt managed
          to squeeze the Monks into his TX discography.

          I take my mission seriously, and can now report back from a visit I
          just paid to a friend who is perhaps the leading (non-academic)
          Palmer Rockey expert in the world. He confirms most of what I wrote
          earlier, except that the movie really EXISTS, and is said to deal
          with "the Palmer Rockey lifestyle".

          Mr Rockey rented one of the biggest movie theatres in Dallas for the
          first screening, and somewhat unwisely invited all the housewives and
          widows he'd chatted up for $$$ to come, which lead to him having to
          literally flee the scene after the screening was over. "Psychotronic"
          film guru Michael Weldon has been involved in trying to track a copy
          of the movie down without any success so far. The title of the movie
          is "Scarlet Love", for which the LP is the soundtrack.

          If you live in the DFW area, be sure to keep an eye out for copies of
          this LP at flea markets and bargain bins. It's only about 20 years
          old, and only a few have ever been found, so the rest of the pressing
          is likely to be around somewhere. The cover has a neat home-made look
          to it, b/w photos against a yellow background and "Palmer Rockey" in
          large (of course) print. If you find one (or a dozen) you could
          easily sell it for 3 figures. Be sure to put one aside for the Lama
          too.

          There are some technical aspects of the pressings I could add, but
          I'll save those for another time and place.

          // Patrick

          --- In TheTexas60sMusicRefuge@y..., "Andrew Brown" <brown135@h...>