1960's Texas Music site.

  • mikebennidict
    Message 1 of 22 , Apr 9 5:57 PM
      Amyone know why the West Texas link on that site doesn't work and all
      the other do?
    • Danny Meazell
      Message 2 of 22 , Apr 9 10:14 PM
        Dust Storm?

        mikebennidict <mactach@...> wrote:
        Amyone know why the West Texas link on that site doesn't work and all
        the other do?

        http://www.dannymeazell.com

        Be a PS3 game guru.

      • Danny Meazell

          Message 4 of 22 , Apr 10 3:07 PM
            maybe the well went dry & the cable snapped

            --- In TheTexas60sMusicRefuge@yahoogroups.com, Danny Meazell <williewinelock2001@...> wrote:

            > Dust Storm?
            >
            > mikebennidict mactach@... wrote: Amyone know why the West Texas link on that site doesn't work and all
            > the other do?
            >

            > http://www.dannymeazell.com
            >
            > ---------------------------------
            > Be a PS3 game guru.
            > Get your game face on with the latest PS3 news and previews at Yahoo! Games.

          • Charlotte Jernigan
            Message 5 of 22 , Apr 10 5:44 PM
              seriously the wind out there could have done something ... i live in central texas and have had no problem, but in west texas there is so much wind and sand and dust ... especially in a dry year ... this is a cool group ... i hope you can figure out the problem ...

              e <starkey97@...> wrote:
              maybe the well went dry & the cable snapped

              --- In TheTexas60sMusicRef uge@yahoogroups. com, Danny Meazell <williewinelock2001@ ...> wrote:

              > Dust Storm?
              >
              > mikebennidict mactach@... wrote: Amyone know why the West Texas link on that site doesn't work and all
              > the other do?
              >

              > http://www.dannymea zell.com
              >
              > ------------ --------- --------- ---
              > Be a PS3 game guru.
              > Get your game face on with the latest PS3 news and previews at Yahoo! Games.

            • texas60smusicrefuge
              Message 6 of 22 , Apr 11 8:42 AM
                the website in question is from the links section:

                http://go.to/texasmusic

                i don't recall that west texas was ever linked,
                you would have to email phil from the website to
                find out for sure.

                i haven't browsed the site in a while, it has
                been updated some since last i looked. i was interested
                in seeing the Liberty Hall poster exhibit at the
                Museum of Printing History (Houston) runs until june 5.
                covers 1971-77.

                cm

                > > mikebennidict mactach@ wrote: Amyone know why the West
                > Texas link on that site doesn't work and all
                > > the other do?

              • texas60smusicrefuge
                Message 7 of 22 , Apr 11 11:45 AM
                  reality check time. a link to west texas is not the same
                  as being in west texas.

                  the link is not a dead link, it is not linked to anything,
                  presumably waiting to be done (or reactivated) later.

                  meanwhile, a good west texas site is this blog,
                  posted here before, but here it is again:

                  http://lonestarstomp.blogspot.com/

                  texicana obscura.

                  cm

                  > seriously the wind out there could have done something ... i live in
                  central texas and have had no problem, but in west texas there is so
                  much wind and sand and dust ... especially in a dry year ... this is a
                  cool group ... i hope you can figure out the problem ...

                  > e <starkey97@...> wrote: maybe the
                  well went dry & the cable snapped
                • LamaSivartDoz
                  Message 8 of 22 , Apr 13 7:16 AM
                    Oh, but I see clearly the forlorn West Texas optic cable dangling
                    somewhere from a pole out in the prairie hills beyond Austin...
                    blown back and forth by the desolate wind, while only the coyotes
                    watch...

                    // Patrick

                    --- In TheTexas60sMusicRefuge@yahoogroups.com, "texas60smusicrefuge"

                    Message 9 of 22 , Apr 13 8:18 AM
                      me too ...

                      Message 10 of 22 , Apr 13 8:29 AM
                        Well good that some of us think in technicalities ... I think my explanation was much more logical and compassionate (lol).  Thanks for theinfo.

                        texas60smusicrefuge <texas60smusicrefuge@...> wrote:
                        reality check time. a link to west texas is not the same
                        as being in west texas.

                        the link is not a dead link, it is not linked to anything,
                        presumably waiting to be done (or reactivated) later.

                        meanwhile, a good west texas site is this blog,
                        posted here before, but here it is again:

                        http://lonestarstom p.blogspot. com/

                        texicana obscura.

                        cm

                        > seriously the wind out there could have done something ... i live in
                        central texas and have had no problem, but in west texas there is so
                        much wind and sand and dust ... especially in a dry year ... this is a
                        cool group ... i hope you can figure out the problem ...

                        > e <starkey97@. ..> wrote: maybe the
                        well went dry & the cable snapped

                      • scarletdukes
                        Message 11 of 22 , Jun 4, 2007
                          I created and maintain the 1960s Texas Music site. It originally grew
                          out the web site I built for the Sweetarts.

                          To answer everyone questions about the West Texas link...it currently
                          links to nothing because I currently have no content to put in the
                          West Texas section.

                          The content of the site is based on the results of my own
                          investigations and research as well as the contributions of friendly
                          folk in cyberland. Hopefully someday I will have something in the West
                          Texas section. Until then it remains blank...but waiting to be filled.

                          Regards,
                          Phil

                          --- In TheTexas60sMusicRefuge@yahoogroups.com, Charlotte Jernigan

                          Message 12 of 22 , Jun 4, 2007
                            You did a great great job on the site too.  And you can maintain it as you please because it is yours and you have been kind enough to share it with the others of us that appreciate that era.  I for one am deeply appreciative.  Course I live in Central Texas so I don't have any trouble getting onto it.  But the others need to just either help you develop it or wait till you get ready to do that if ever ... that's all I can say ... but from me thanks thanks thanks thanks for bringing back the memories of my youth ... and its good to communicate with others who lived in that era too or are interested in it.  We thought we had it all ... and sometime now I think we did ... you know?

                            <lottiecj@.. .> wrote:

                            > me too ...
                            >
                            > LamaSivartDoz <lamasivartdoz@ ...> wrote:
                            Oh, but I see clearly the forlorn West Texas optic cable dangling
                            > somewhere from a pole out in the prairie hills beyond Austin...
                            > blown back and forth by the desolate wind, while only the coyotes
                            > watch...
                            >
                            > // Patrick
                            >
                            > --- In TheTexas60sMusicRef uge@yahoogroups. com, "texas60smusicrefug e"
                            > <texas60smusicrefug e@> wrote:
                            > >
                            > > reality check time. a link to west texas is not the same
                            > > as being in west texas.
                            > >
                            > > the link is not a dead link, it is not linked to anything,
                            > > presumably waiting to be done (or reactivated) later.
                            > >
                            > > meanwhile, a good west texas site is this blog,
                            > > posted here before, but here it is again:
                            > >
                            > > http://lonestarstom p.blogspot. com/
                            > >
                            > > texicana obscura.
                            > >
                            > > cm
                            > >
                            > > > seriously the wind out there could have done something ... i
                            > live in
                            > > central texas and have had no problem, but in west texas there is
                            > so
                            > > much wind and sand and dust ... especially in a dry year ... this
                            > is a
                            > > cool group ... i hope you can figure out the problem ...
                            > > >
                            > > > e <starkey97@> wrote: maybe the
                            > > well went dry & the cable snapped

                          • Ed Starkey
                            Message 13 of 22 , Jun 4, 2007
                              West Texas in the EL PASO around the late 60's early 70's ---EL PASO had ROD CROSBY & THE INTRUDERS - UNDERGROUND SKY - WESTERN ONION ---TRUTH ---- 2 larger than life local icons at the time were STEVE CROSNO ---RADIO & TV --who passed recently & CHARLES TEITSWORTH who tried to organize the local bands & install in them a professional demeanor at a time when do your own thing was pretty well the rule of the land. Of course the all time top dog group from EL PASO was THE BOBBY FULLER FOUR  who did I FOUGHT THE LAW & THE LAW WON. lol ---there ---that oughta start some letters for the WEST TEXAS BRANCH -----------

                              <lottiecj@.. .> wrote:

                              > me too ...
                              >
                              > LamaSivartDoz <lamasivartdoz@ ...> wrote:
                              Oh, but I see clearly the forlorn West Texas optic cable dangling
                              > somewhere from a pole out in the prairie hills beyond Austin...
                              > blown back and forth by the desolate wind, while only the coyotes
                              > watch...
                              >
                              > // Patrick
                              >
                              > --- In TheTexas60sMusicRef uge@yahoogroups. com, "texas60smusicrefug e"
                              > <texas60smusicrefug e@> wrote:
                              > >
                              > > reality check time. a link to west texas is not the same
                              > > as being in west texas.
                              > >
                              > > the link is not a dead link, it is not linked to anything,
                              > > presumably waiting to be done (or reactivated) later.
                              > >
                              > > meanwhile, a good west texas site is this blog,
                              > > posted here before, but here it is again:
                              > >
                              > > http://lonestarstom p.blogspot. com/
                              > >
                              > > texicana obscura.
                              > >
                              > > cm
                              > >
                              > > > seriously the wind out there could have done something ... i
                              > live in
                              > > central texas and have had no problem, but in west texas there is
                              > so
                              > > much wind and sand and dust ... especially in a dry year ... this
                              > is a
                              > > cool group ... i hope you can figure out the problem ...
                              > > >
                              > > > e <starkey97@> wrote: maybe the
                              > > well went dry & the cable snapped

                            • Chris Prichard
                              Message 14 of 22 , Jun 5, 2007
                                Hey Ed,
                                Thanks for the memory jog. Rod Crosby & the Intruders were the top dogs
                                after Bobby Fuller left for California. Steve Crosno and Charlie
                                Teitsworth were both icons on the El Paso scene in the 60's and beyond.
                                I grew up on the eastside (Eastwood/Scottsdale) and played in numerous
                                bands. I remember seeing David Hayes and the Pawns play at Eastwood
                                High School. I used to listen to them practice in Dianne Stinson's
                                parents garage. Bobby Fuller produced several cool 45's for them.
                                Several of my friends played in a Teitsworth produced band called Dawg
                                (Ken Brown and Steve Smith - Steve later went on to play bass for the
                                Intruders). Later in the 80's I saw Charlie playing guitar with a
                                friend of mine (Mike Baron) that played banjo at the Cattleman's Steak
                                House out in the desert. Sadly, that's the last time I saw him. Crosno
                                was hip from the get-go. Crosno's Hop always had cool local bands on
                                (mostly Latino) and James Brown would always come on if he was anywhere
                                near El Paso. My older brother played on Crosno's hop with Danny and
                                the Counts. Wish I could find old clips of Crosno's Hop from the 60's.
                                Pretty cool stuff.

                                Message 15 of 22 , Jun 5, 2007
                                  Let's not forget the Chains from El Paso. I reissued
                                  their near complete recordings on my
                                  www.60sgaragebands.com label and was stunned at how
                                  consistently great their recordings were.

                                  Mike Dugo

                                  in the all-new Yahoo! Mail Beta.
                                • Ed Starkey

                                    Message 17 of 22 , Jun 5, 2007
                                      El Paso in the mid to late 60's was full of young bands some of them
                                      great and some not so great. There were a lot of dances and teen clubs
                                      you could go to and hear a great band. Some others (besides the Chains,
                                      who were great by the way)I remembered were The West Hampton Barge,
                                      Smokestack Banana, The Outcasts, Brand X, and The Henchmen. There were
                                      tons of other bands who's names changed frequently. Ed, do you remember
                                      a show on KELP TV in the late 60's called "Son of Action"? It came on in
                                      the afternoon after "Where the Action Is". It featured all local acts
                                      lip-syncing to a pre-recorded performance. I can't remember any bands
                                      that played on it except Danny and The Counts, and then only because my
                                      brother was in the band. Anybody remember any other bands? BTW - don't
                                      forget that Long John Hunter was still playing strong in Juarez in the
                                      mid-late 60's. He influenced countless El Paso guitar players from Bobby
                                      Fuller to Mike Cancellari. I remember seeing him at the Lobby in 68'(I
                                      was only 15). I was pretty much blown away by his playing - or maybe it
                                      was 8 Carta Blanca's I chugged at the bar, I was pretty young but I
                                      remember that night pretty well. Seeing Long John across the border at
                                      the Mesa Inn years later was good but not the same...
                                      Chris
                                    • LamaSivartDoz
                                      Message 18 of 22 , Jun 6, 2007
                                        --- In TheTexas60sMusicRefuge@yahoogroups.com, "Chris Prichard"
                                        <cprichard@...> wrote:

                                        > Hey Ed,
                                        > Thanks for the memory jog. Rod Crosby & the Intruders were the top
                                        dogs

                                        Do you recall the Suemi label? They put out a local sampler called "I
                                        Love You Gorgo", which featured Truth, the Intruders and Lodestar, if
                                        I recall correctly. Very good (and very rare) album, in a late 60s
                                        style.

                                        Another interesting El Paso band were Wailing Wall, who recently had a
                                        retrospective LP of unreleased recordings from around 1969-70...
                                        great, weird stuff.

                                        There was also Iota, who moved to Memphis.

                                        // Patrick
                                      • Chris Prichard
                                        Message 19 of 22 , Jun 6, 2007
                                          I'm very familiar with Suemi and the I Love You Gorgo album. The Suemi
                                          guys were in the Sherwoods that recorded "Tickler" and "Bacardi" at
                                          Bobby Fuller's home studio. Suemirecords.com has a lot more info and
                                          copies of Gorgo and some other cool comps are available there.

                                          <mailto:TheTexas60sMusicRefuge%40yahoogroups.com> , "Chris Prichard"
                                          <cprichard@...> wrote:

                                          > Hey Ed,
                                          > Thanks for the memory jog. Rod Crosby & the Intruders were the top
                                          dogs

                                          Do you recall the Suemi label? They put out a local sampler called "I
                                          Love You Gorgo", which featured Truth, the Intruders and Lodestar, if
                                          I recall correctly. Very good (and very rare) album, in a late 60s
                                          style.

                                          Another interesting El Paso band were Wailing Wall, who recently had a
                                          retrospective LP of unreleased recordings from around 1969-70...
                                          great, weird stuff.

                                          There was also Iota, who moved to Memphis.

                                          // Patrick
                                        • Johndavid Bartlett
                                          Message 20 of 22 , Jun 7, 2007
                                            Lama, you astral floating, time roaming maniac. I bet you were that guy, who
                                            only showed at gigs, that asked questions in Swedish. Or else, where do you
                                            get this stuff?

                                            Mr. Space

                                            >From: "LamaSivartDoz" <lamasivartdoz@...>
                                            >To: TheTexas60sMusicRefuge@yahoogroups.com
                                            >Subject: [TheTexas60sMusicRefuge] Re: 1960's Texas Music site. / El Paso
                                            >Date: Wed, 06 Jun 2007 11:24:35 -0000
                                            >
                                            >--- In TheTexas60sMusicRefuge@yahoogroups.com, "Chris Prichard"
                                            ><cprichard@...> wrote:
                                            > >
                                            > > Hey Ed,
                                            > > Thanks for the memory jog. Rod Crosby & the Intruders were the top
                                            >dogs
                                            >
                                            >Do you recall the Suemi label? They put out a local sampler called "I
                                            >Love You Gorgo", which featured Truth, the Intruders and Lodestar, if
                                            >I recall correctly. Very good (and very rare) album, in a late 60s
                                            >style.
                                            >
                                            >Another interesting El Paso band were Wailing Wall, who recently had a
                                            >retrospective LP of unreleased recordings from around 1969-70...
                                            >great, weird stuff.
                                            >
                                            >There was also Iota, who moved to Memphis.
                                            >
                                            >// Patrick

                                            Play games, earn tickets, get cool prizes. Play now�it's FREE!
                                            http://club.live.com/home.aspx?icid=CLUB_hotmailtextlink1
                                          • LamaSivartDoz
                                            Message 21 of 22 , Jun 7, 2007
                                              --- In TheTexas60sMusicRefuge@yahoogroups.com, "Johndavid Bartlett"
                                              <singinghearts@...> wrote:

                                              > Lama, you astral floating, time roaming maniac. I bet you were that
                                              guy, who
                                              > only showed at gigs, that asked questions in Swedish. Or else, where
                                              do you
                                              > get this stuff?
                                              >
                                              > Mr. Space

                                              With the proper drugs, all information content that ever existed in
                                              the universe can be downloaded into your brain for scrutiny. After
                                              that, all you need is a bunch of available time. The quality of the
                                              music makes it worthwhile.

                                              // Patrick
                                            • scarletdukes
                                              Message 22 of 22 , Jun 8, 2007
                                                Thanks for the kind words. I'm glad people are enjoying it. In time I'm sure I'll have
                                                content for the West Texas part of the site. I'd like to expand the San Antonio and South
                                                Texas sections as well.