Re: Ginger Valley/IA House on Galveston Rd

  • lama_sivart_doz
    Message 1 of 7 , Jun 1, 2002
      Gotta hand it to I A - they had ideas and moves that no other label
      had back then. Of course the ulterior motive is obscure,
      and "thinking outside the box" does not always produce clever
      schemes... be sure to check out the Paul Vivian/Tennison interview
      for gritty stories on "The House", Bandidos and dope.

      The Satori 45 kicks ass BTW - both sides prime A-1 Texas acidpunk &
      with an obvious Elevators influence on "Time machine" IMO.

      Did the guy release anything else?

      // Patrick

      --- In TheTexas60sMusicRefuge@y..., "harrychoates" <brown135@h...>
      wrote:
      > --- In TheTexas60sMusicRefuge@y..., "texas60smusicrefuge"
      > <texas60smusicrefuge@y...> wrote:
      >
      > > It sounds unusual to me that any label, particularly a relatively
      > > small one, to provide housing for a band on it's roster (dump
      > > or otherwise). IA owned a band house, studio, and live venue,
      > > and also tried to control live booking/management, I believe.
      > > One stop shopping.
      >
      > It wasn't just unusual, it was unheard of. Recall that the Golden
      > Dawn were still staying at the Western Skies motel when they
      recorded
      > for IA (July 1967 I believe), so the acquisition of the house
      > presumably dates from later...if the 'vators lived there I'm
      guessing
      > it was during the recording of 'beauty and the beast' in Feb-Mar
      > 68...and of course Stacy S. and the boys from Ice were living there
      > in '69. IA was probably able to buy or rent the house for
      practically
      > nothing...
      >
      > A.
    • harrychoates
      Message 2 of 7 , Jun 2, 2002
        >--- In TheTexas60sMusicRefuge@y..., "lama_sivart_doz"
        >lamasivartdoz@l...> wrote:
        > The Satori 45 kicks ass BTW - both sides prime A-1 Texas acidpunk &
        > with an obvious Elevators influence on "Time machine" IMO.
        >
        > Did the guy release anything else?
        >
        > // Patrick

        I've never cared for the Satori record, though I understand it's
        appeal to psych-heads. I must admit the lyrics to 'Time Machine' are
        pretty good ('your eyes light up with a lightning bolt...'), but that
        incessant, squealing guitar drives me nuts.

        No, Warkentin didn't release anything else AFAIK and is now a recluse
        in Florida (by strange coincidence, so is Bob Steffek).

        -Zeke
      • texas60smusicrefuge
        Message 3 of 7 , Jun 3, 2002
          > >lamasivartdoz@l...> wrote:
          >>The Satori 45 kicks ass BTW - both sides prime A-1 Texas acidpunk &
          >>with an obvious Elevators influence on "Time machine" IMO.
          > >
          > > Did the guy release anything else?
          > >
          > > // Patrick
          >
          >I've never cared for the Satori record, though I understand it's
          >appeal to psych-heads. I must admit the lyrics to 'Time Machine' are
          >pretty good ('your eyes light up with a lightning bolt...'), but
          >that incessant, squealing guitar drives me nuts.

          exactly as it's supposed to....
          i always thought it had a lot in common w/ the Iguanas'
          I Can Only Give You Everything, incessentially.....

          >No, Warkentin didn't release anything else AFAIK and is now a
          >recluse in Florida (by strange coincidence, so is Bob Steffek).

          Have wondered what happened to Steffek.
          Speaking of which, do you have a complete list of the Steffek label?
          Satori and Lavender Hour are the one i'm aware of.

          CM

          > -Zeke
        • jakey711
          Message 4 of 7 , Sep 2, 2005
            It's true they furnished the house and also true about the
            Elevators. A lot of creepy stuff went on around there.
            Vicki

            --- In TheTexas60sMusicRefuge@yahoogroups.com, "harrychoates"