100 Top Movie Quotes of All Time

  • Lawrence Rogak
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 1 10:48 PM
      Somebody took a poll recently of the 100 best, or most memorable,
      movie lines of all time, and I thought it was worth sharing. Hope
      you do too. But they missed some of my favorites, like when Groucho
      Marx said to Margaret Dumont in "A Night At The Opera", "You'd better
      move before they tear you down and put up an office building where
      you're standing." Or when Groucho said to Chico, "How would you like
      a job at the Mint?" and Chico replied, "Mint? Nah, I no like-a mint.
      What other flavors you got?" Or how about in the original Blues
      Brothers movie, when Dan Ackroyd uttered the immortal line, "We've
      got a full tank of gas, it's dark, and we're wearing sunglasses." To
      which John Belushi replied, from the passenger seat, "Hit it." I
      could go on, like Harvey Korman's little speech in "Blazing Saddles"
      about the kind of men he wanted to hire to destroy the town of Rock
      Ridge: "I want you to round up every vicious criminal and gunslinger
      in the west. Take this down: I want rustlers, cutthraots, murderers,
      bounty hunters, desperados, mugs, pugs, thugs, nitwits, half-wits,
      dim-wits, vipers, snipers, con men, Indian agents, Mexican bandits,
      muggers, buggerers, bushwhackers, horse wagglers, horse thiefs,
      bullbags, train robbers, bank robbers, ass kickers, sh-- kickers, and
      Methodists!" These were great moments. And with that, here's the
      list.

      Larry Rogak

      1
      Frankly, my dear, I don't give a damn.
      GONE WITH THE WIND
      1939

      2
      THE GODFATHER
      1972

      3
      You don't understand! I coulda had class. I coulda been a
      contender. I could've been somebody, instead of a bum, which is what
      I am.
      ON THE WATERFRONT
      1954

      4
      Toto, I've got a feeling we're not in Kansas anymore.
      THE WIZARD OF OZ
      1939

      5
      Here's looking at you, kid.
      CASABLANCA
      1942

      6
      Go ahead, make my day.
      SUDDEN IMPACT
      1983

      7
      All right, Mr. DeMille, I'm ready for my close-up.
      SUNSET BLVD.
      1950

      8
      May the Force be with you.
      STAR WARS
      1977

      9
      Fasten your seatbelts. It's going to be a bumpy night.
      ALL ABOUT EVE
      1950

      10
      You talking to me?
      TAXI DRIVER
      1976

      11
      What we've got here is failure to communicate.
      COOL HAND LUKE
      1967

      12
      I love the smell of napalm in the morning.
      APOCALYPSE NOW
      1979

      13
      Love means never having to say you're sorry.
      LOVE STORY
      1970

      14
      The stuff that dreams are made of.
      THE MALTESE FALCON
      1941

      15
      E.T. phone home.
      E.T. THE EXTRA-TERRESTRIAL
      1982

      16
      They call me Mister Tibbs!
      IN THE HEAT OF THE NIGHT
      1967

      17
      Rosebud.
      CITIZEN KANE
      1941

      18
      Made it, Ma! Top of the world!
      WHITE HEAT
      1949

      19
      I'm as mad as hell, and I'm not going to take this anymore!
      NETWORK
      1976

      20
      Louis, I think this is the beginning of a beautiful friendship.
      CASABLANCA
      1942

      21
      A census taker once tried to test me. I ate his liver with some fava
      beans and a nice Chianti.
      THE SILENCE OF THE LAMBS
      1991

      22
      Bond. James Bond.
      DR. NO
      1962

      23
      There's no place like home.
      THE WIZARD OF OZ
      1939

      24
      I am big! It's the pictures that got small.
      SUNSET BLVD.
      1950

      25
      Show me the money!
      JERRY MAGUIRE
      1996

      26
      Why don't you come up sometime and see me?
      SHE DONE HIM WRONG
      1933

      27
      I'm walking here! I'm walking here!
      MIDNIGHT COWBOY
      1969

      28
      Play it, Sam. Play 'As Time Goes By.'
      CASABLANCA
      1942

      29
      You can't handle the truth!
      A FEW GOOD MEN
      1992

      30
      I want to be alone.
      GRAND HOTEL
      1932

      31
      After all, tomorrow is another day!
      GONE WITH THE WIND
      1939

      32
      Round up the usual suspects.
      CASABLANCA
      1942

      33
      I'll have what she's having.
      WHEN HARRY MET SALLY
      1989

      34
      You know how to whistle, don't you, Steve? You just put your lips
      together and blow.
      TO HAVE AND HAVE NOT
      1944

      35
      You're gonna need a bigger boat.
      JAWS
      1975

      36
      Badges? We ain't got no badges! We don't need no badges! I don't
      have to show you any stinking badges!
      THE TREASURE OF THE SIERRA MADRE
      1948

      37
      I'll be back.
      THE TERMINATOR
      1984

      38
      Today, I consider myself the luckiest man on the face of the earth.
      THE PRIDE OF THE YANKEES
      1942

      39
      If you build it, he will come.
      FIELD OF DREAMS
      1989

      40
      Mama always said life was like a box of chocolates. You never know
      what you're gonna get.
      FORREST GUMP
      1994

      41
      We rob banks.
      BONNIE AND CLYDE
      1967

      42
      Plastics.
      THE GRADUATE
      1967

      43
      We'll always have Paris.
      CASABLANCA
      1942

      44
      I see dead people.
      THE SIXTH SENSE
      1999

      45
      Stella! Hey, Stella!
      A STREETCAR NAMED DESIRE
      1951

      46
      Oh, Jerry, don't let's ask for the moon. We have the stars.
      NOW, VOYAGER
      1942

      47
      Shane. Shane. Come back!
      SHANE
      1953

      48
      Well, nobody's perfect.
      SOME LIKE IT HOT
      1959

      49
      It's alive! It's alive!
      FRANKENSTEIN
      1931

      50
      Houston, we have a problem.
      APOLLO 13
      1995

      51
      You've got to ask yourself one question: 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do
      ya, punk?
      DIRTY HARRY
      1971

      52
      You had me at "hello."
      JERRY MAGUIRE
      1996

      53
      One morning I shot an elephant in my pajamas. How he got in my
      pajamas, I don't know.
      ANIMAL CRACKERS
      1930

      54
      There's no crying in baseball!
      A LEAGUE OF THEIR OWN
      1992

      55
      La-dee-da, la-dee-da.
      ANNIE HALL
      1977

      56
      A boy's best friend is his mother.
      PSYCHO
      1960

      57
      Greed, for lack of a better word, is good.
      WALL STREET
      1987

      58
      Keep your friends close, but your enemies closer.
      THE GODFATHER II
      1974

      59
      As God is my witness, I'll never be hungry again.
      GONE WITH THE WIND
      1939

      60
      Well, here's another nice mess you've gotten me into!
      SONS OF THE DESERT
      1933

      61
      Say "hello" to my little friend!
      SCARFACE
      1983

      62
      What a dump.
      BEYOND THE FOREST
      1949

      63
      Mrs. Robinson, you're trying to seduce me. Aren't you?
      THE GRADUATE
      1967

      64
      Gentlemen, you can't fight in here! This is the War Room!
      DR. STRANGELOVE
      1964

      65
      Elementary, my dear Watson.
      THE ADVENTURES OF SHERLOCK HOLMES
      1939

      66
      Get your stinking paws off me, you damned dirty ape.
      PLANET OF THE APES
      1968

      67
      Of all the gin joints in all the towns in all the world, she walks
      into mine.
      CASABLANCA
      1942

      68
      Here's Johnny!
      THE SHINING
      1980

      69
      They're here!
      POLTERGEIST
      1982

      70
      Is it safe?
      MARATHON MAN
      1976

      71
      Wait a minute, wait a minute. You ain't heard nothin' yet!
      THE JAZZ SINGER
      1927

      72
      No wire hangers, ever!
      MOMMIE DEAREST
      1981

      73
      Mother of mercy, is this the end of Rico?
      LITTLE CAESAR
      1930

      74
      Forget it, Jake, it's Chinatown.
      CHINATOWN
      1974

      75
      I have always depended on the kindness of strangers.
      A STREETCAR NAMED DESIRE
      1951

      76
      Hasta la vista, baby.
      TERMINATOR 2: JUDGMENT DAY
      1991

      77
      Soylent Green is people!
      SOYLENT GREEN
      1973

      78
      Open the pod bay doors, HAL.
      2001: A SPACE ODYSSEY
      1968

      79
      Striker: Surely you can't be serious.

      Rumack: I am seriousÂ…and don't call me Shirley.
      AIRPLANE!
      1980

      80
      Yo, Adrian!
      ROCKY
      1976

      81
      Hello, gorgeous.
      FUNNY GIRL
      1968

      82
      Toga! Toga!
      NATIONAL LAMPOON'S ANIMAL HOUSE
      1978

      83
      Listen to them. Children of the night. What music they make.
      DRACULA
      1931

      84
      Oh, no, it wasn't the airplanes. It was Beauty killed the Beast.
      KING KONG
      1933

      85
      My precious.
      THE LORD OF THE RINGS: TWO TOWERS
      2002

      86
      Attica! Attica!
      DOG DAY AFTERNOON
      1975

      87
      Sawyer, you're going out a youngster, but you've got to come back a
      star!
      42ND STREET
      1933

      88
      Listen to me, mister. You're my knight in shining armor. Don't you
      forget it. You're going to get back on that horse, and I'm going to
      be right behind you, holding on tight, and away we're gonna go, go,
      go!
      ON GOLDEN POND
      1981

      89
      Tell 'em to go out there with all they got and win just one for the
      Gipper.
      KNUTE ROCKNE ALL AMERICAN
      1940

      90
      A martini. Shaken, not stirred.
      GOLDFINGER
      1964

      91
      Who's on first.
      THE NAUGHTY NINETIES
      1945

      92
      Cinderella story. Outta nowhere. A former greenskeeper, now, about
      to become the Masters champion. It looks like a mirac...It's in the
      hole! It's in the hole! It's in the hole!
      CADDYSHACK
      1980

      93
      Life is a banquet, and most poor suckers are starving to death!
      AUNTIE MAME
      1958

      94
      I feel the need - the need for speed!
      TOP GUN
      1986

      95
      Carpe diem. Seize the day, boys. Make your lives extraordinary.
      DEAD POETS SOCIETY
      1989

      96
      Snap out of it!
      MOONSTRUCK
      1987

      97
      My mother thanks you. My father thanks you. My sister thanks you.
      And I thank you.
      YANKEE DOODLE DANDY
      1942

      98
      Nobody puts Baby in a corner.
      DIRTY DANCING
      1987

      99
      I'll get you, my pretty, and your little dog, too!
      WIZARD OF OZ, THE
      1939

      100
      I'm king of the world!