RE: Is Rock N Roll Dead?

  • TED HUENKE
    Message 1 of 2 , May 5, 2005
      As long as music does not emphasize the guitar as the prime melody maker of the music, it is not rock and roll.

      Ted Huenke

      Larry Rogak responds:

      That's an interesting comment. In the 1970s there was a band called Soft Machine that put out a number of albums and enjoyed a moderate degree of popularity among the 'avant-garde' crowd. The band used from three to six instruments (depending on the composition they were playing), including bass guitar, keyboards, drums, sax, and a variety of brass instruments -- but no guitar! I recall that I found that fact remarkable at the time. Was it rock n roll? Who knows? Is Pink Floyd rock n roll?