Hurricane Sandy Update: 19 November 2012

  • Lawrence
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 19, 2012
      Dear Clients, Friends and Readers:

      After being without electricity since the day of the hurricane, our office is once again up and running.

      We would like to express our appreciation to our clients, and to our colleagues on both sides of the bar whose cooperation helped us to maintain continuity as we worked from our homes.

      There is much work to be done, as thousands of our neighbors, friends, and fellow New Yorkers (and New Jerseyites) -- including ourselves -- rebuild our homes.  My own home town of Long Beach, in particular, was devastated -- every single home, without exception, was flooded.  Not only did we lose power for over two weeks, but we had no running water or sewer service.  Now, even with power back on, most homes have had their water heaters, refrigerators, stoves, dishwashers, a/c units, boilers, washers and dryers ruined by salt water.  Over 90% of the cars in Long Beach were destroyed by salt water.  Some of those flooded cars ignited due to being short-circuited, and burned down adjacent homes.

      Virtually every business in Long Beach was flooded as well, and even now only a handful of them have managed to repair and re-open.

      On a personal note, I would like to thank my own auto and flood insurers -- Geico and Travelers, respectively, for the exceptional customer service they gave me on my own claims.  Special thanks as well to Enterprise Rent a Car.

      There are many others who deserve our collective thanks.  The Red Cross, whose mobile unit has been handing out hot meals in Long Beach to so many of us who had no place to eat.  The firemen who have brought rescue units from far-away towns to help dig out homes covered in several feet of sand.  The volunteers from civic and religious groups who came from other states and other countries to help people clean out their ruined homes.   This unprecedented disaster has brought out the best in a great many people.

      In this Thanksgiving season, let us all pause and acknowledge how much we have, despite all we have lost.

      Larry Rogak
      Fran Kanterman
      and staff