Re: The Rogak Report: 16 Dec 2009 (Part 3) ** No Fault - Verification Request **

  • royamura
    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 16, 2009
      I see that the court actually issued this decision back in May, even though it wasn't posted to the New York Reporter's website until today.  That explains there being no reference to the Second Department's November 17 decision in Infinity Health Prods. v. Eveready Ins. Co.

      I would agree that this decision is moot unless, of course, the plaintiff provided the requested verification responses in this case, AND the Second Department on Progressive's appeal in Alur Med. Supply  draws a distinction between cases in which there was no verification response, as in Infinity Health Prods., and ones in which there were, as in Alur Med. Supply v. Progressive

      I don't think we can say, just yet, that the Appellate Division, Second Department, considers all "early" follow-up verification requests to be okay and inconsequential to the insurer's claim defenses.   I think we'll get an answer on that issue when that court decides Alur Med. SupplyJudge Golia's dissent in this case  provides some compelling reasons for a bright-line rule against  preclusion.  I foresee a lengthy quote in Progressive's appellate brief.

      Other than Golia's "or at any time" and other references in his dissent, I can't tell from this decision whether the plaintiff ever provided the requested verification to Country-Wide.  Perhaps someone involved in that case can let us know.  If it didn't, the Second Department's ruling in Infinity Health Prods. ostensibly should control.  If it did, then what?

      Roy Mura