Who Influences Our Government Most?

  • therogakreport
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 2, 2004
      Some food for thought: we all know that every industry has lobbyists
      who are paid to influence our elected officials. Both individuals
      and Political Action Groups (PACs) contribute money to election
      campaigns, and only the most naive person thinks that politicians
      don't pay back these donor groups with legislation that benefits
      their causes.

      But do you know which industry gives the MOST money to our elected
      officials to influence them? If you guessed "trial lawyers," give
      yourself some applause.

      In every election since 1990 (both Presidential and mid-term),
      lawyers and law firms have been the #1 donor to political campaigns
      out of 80 industries which are measured.

      And the donations by lawyers are not exactly even-handed. Since
      1990, the share of donations to Democrats has been a minimum of 69%
      of the total giving (31% to Republicans). In 2002 it was even more
      lopsided: 74% of the donations by lawyers went to Democrats.

      To see the actual figures, and for more detailed information on who
      donates money to political campaigns, go to:
      http://www.opensecrets.org/industries/indus.asp?Ind=K01

      The reason I post this information is not because of my political
      leanings (I am an independent). My only concern is how government
      affects the tort system. When we wonder sometimes why lawsuits seem
      to run rampant in this country, and why government seems to look the
      other way, perhaps this is part of the answer: that lawyers are, and
      have been for a long time, the single largest contributor to election
      campaigns, and that 69% to 74% of those contributions go to
      Democrats, who are for the most part against any effort to limit
      civil lawsuits.