Man And Wife Ate Glass To Make False Claims Against Restaurants

  • Lawrence Rogak
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 20, 2007
      Mass. Man Pleads Guilty to Eating Glass to Defraud Restaurant Insurers
      By Erin Conroy
      August 17, 2007

      A Massachusetts man pleaded guilty this week to his role in a
      multistate scheme in which prosecutors say he and his wife
      intentionally ate glass at restaurants and collected more than
      $200,000 in compensation.

      Ronald Evano, 49, pleaded guilty to 20 federal counts, including
      conspiracy, mail fraud, wire fraud and identity theft. Prosecutors
      dropped four counts of identity fraud and health care fraud in the
      plea agreement.

      Prosecutors say Evano and his wife, Mary, filed fraudulent insurance
      claims worth more than $200,000, collected more than $200,000 and
      left a trail of unpaid medical bills totaling more than $100,000 in
      several states between 1997 and 2005.

      Prosecutors said the two were treated at hospitals for glass
      ingestions at least a dozen times. They collected payments from
      insurance companies but never paid their hospital bills. In once
      instance, they took a $45,000 payment directly from a restaurant.

      An arrest warrant was issued last year for Mary Evano on the same
      charges as her husband. She is still being sought.

      Evano said in court that he and his wife ate the glass because they
      needed money.

      "We would go to a restaurant, and I'd say I had glass in my food,''
      Evano said. "Then I would go to the hospital and say I was in pain.''

      Over the years, one or both claimed to have eaten glass at
      establishments in Braintree and Quincy, Mass.; Bethesda and
      Gaithersburg, Md.; Washington D.C.; Providence, R.I.; and Midlothian,
      Va. The couple used false names, Social Security numbers and identity
      cards.

      Evano is in custody and is to be sentenced next month. He could
      receive up to 100 years in prison.

      Copyright 2007 Associated Press. All rights reserved.